Sign in to follow this  
juit

what can I use to weld boos shock tower reiforcement plates

Don't use flux core wire. If you're not aware of the difference between shielded gas welding and flux core, I would recommend doing some studying before you try to weld your car. Otherwise you might not like the outcome.

Ended up paying a friend that has a muffler shop, he brought a big gas mig Miller welder, they charge me 60 bucks for spot weld the uca screws that go to the towers and both plates not bad at all.

thanks for all the help and i really apreciate your advise, yall save me from doing somthing really stupid :)

after this im considering buying a welder with gas at least an eastwood they seem to be in my price range

Edited by juit

mine is with the shelby drop

in the third pic you can see how much it went down with the 1/4 in the inch I trimmed

I had to trim a 1/4 of an inch to this plates to give the 45 angle

1401968_10153455132345062_707439986_o.jpg

IMG_3834_zpsca4b8060.jpg

IMG_3835_zps5fcea747.jpg

1463738_10153455137510062_1188804251_n.jpg

Edited by juit

GREAT and TIMELY thread as I am installing the reinforcement plates to my towers and was confused as to how they should be installed.

It looks like I will have to trim some from the sides of the plates also to make it work properly.

BT

I realize this is an older thread, but thought it better to post here rather than start a new one. I have a '69 coupe with a 302. Is the reinforcement plate a good idea for smaller V-8 cars?

if your small block is making big block power, absolutely! and/or if you are already making repairs in that area it is good insurance.

An otherwise stock 302 with good shock towers...not really necessary. go with a one piece export brace if your looking to stabilize your shock towers.

What i read is that a 302, thoick sway bar, 1 piece export brace, montecarlo bar, big tires, shelby drop you are adding stress over 40 year old stressed metal IMO is a must in this cars,

Edited by juit