Sign in to follow this  
jwscarab

LED Tail Lights

i splurged on the LED side and purchased the shelby sequential kit and backup light kit from mustang project i did a test with them 99% installed in the car and they are very bright and look great.... i pulled them back out in a rush when i found out i didn't have all of the screws to mount them on a 2 day no sleep 4am get it built before the Mickyard event with a 3+ hour drive.... i then wired back in the stock shelby bulbs... currently my replacement turn signal switch is having problems... so one day when i have time... ill repair or replace the turn signal switch and install the shelby LED kit..... note that i already had the original shelby tail light housings installed .. so the kit i have is for an original shelby style.. :punk:

coke89 - those scott drake units look nice!!

Edited by stangme428

I have the Mustang Project Sequential LEDs and just did the upgraded flasher unit that "clicks" and speeds up the LEDs flashing.

No complaints from me and us classics get a lot of attention when folks behind see the sequential tailights going :)

I have the Drake sequential LED hood and tail lights .... Very nice kit .. the tail lights just plug into the existing bulb socket and the hood plgs right into the harness connector.

Only bad thing is ... I cannot see the tail lights working :001_tongue:

I have the Mustang Project Sequential LEDs and just did the upgraded flasher unit that "clicks" and speeds up the LEDs flashing.

No complaints from me and us classics get a lot of attention when folks behind see the sequential tailights going :)

This is what I've got too. Works great, super easy to install, and loads more light output than the old bulb that was in there! Highly recommended!

I have the Drake sequential LED hood and tail lights .... Very nice kit .. the tail lights just plug into the existing bulb socket and the hood plgs right into the harness connector.

Only bad thing is ... I cannot see the tail lights working :001_tongue:

Chris, Only Chevy owners can see your taillights working!!! ;)

I also used the Mustang Project. The only neg was I ordered the ‘click’ flasher but it died shortly after installation, so I went back to the one supplied with the unit. I waited too long to send it back for replacement. IMO they should supply the clicking flasher instead of the silent one that they do. Otherwise the product has been working well for three years now.

Regards,

Tony

I have Scott drake ones for the hood but not the tail lights. I bought a clicker to slow them down. My only disappointment is with the clicker. I thought it would be more adjustable. I have cranked all the way to the fastest setting and it blinks a little slow. It's acceptable though.

Jim

From the looks of the pictures on the web sites - it looks like the Mustang Projects and the Scott Drake are identical!! Maybe a different color circuit board, but the electronics on the board, and the batwing design, and the number of lights - all identical. Makes the decision easy!! Will be ordering and installing a set soon! Thanks very much for the tips guys!!

LilMike' date='

I used to live in Broad Ripple .... the ex has the house now... GO COLTS!!![/quote']

Chris, It's a small world! I moved back here 3 years ago. Left in 71 so no Colts at that time....Cowboy fan here! LOL

Chris, It's a small world! I moved back here 3 years ago. Left in 71 so no Colts at that time....Cowboy fan here! LOL

LOL, I have been a Colts fan since '72 when I lived in MD. When they moved to Indy, their training camp was right behind my house in Anderson. I was completely stoked until I joined the service later that year :001_cool:

Hey guys - if it counts, I spent 6 years working in Greensburg IN.....lol.

I know Greensburg...Big Honda plant there now. Another small world, I lived in Ross, Ohio back in 2002. Left and went to Canton then back to Middletown, Oh in 2007. I worked in Hamilton, Oh till 2009.

Wow more guys from Indiana. I lived in Broad Ripple from 96 to 01 then moved to Noblesville and my family is still there. I'm temporarily up in Northern Michigan working, but will be returning to Indiana hopefully next month. Job interview in Indy on Friday.

Wow more guys from Indiana. I lived in Broad Ripple from 96 to 01 then moved to Noblesville and my family is still there. I'm temporarily up in Northern Michigan working, but will be returning to Indiana hopefully next month. Job interview in Indy on Friday.

Good luck with the interview! Hope to see some of you guys and your cars next summer!

Hey if I can elaborate on the LED's. Im about to oder the unit with the white circuit board and the clicker flasher, but I think I also want to do the front turn signals while I am at it. Im guessing the MP 6w amber bulb is the way to go ($29 per bulb - yikes). Or would you recommend the 30W LED front turn signal? I dont think I want them so bright that they stand out with headlights on, but I do want them bright. And I noticed the LED's face sideways which normally LED's are directional so the output would rely on the reflection of the housing. Still sound like a good way to go? Also I assume the black clicker flasher from the taillight kit will work and I dont need any other flasher.

Edited by jwscarab

Correct, you won't need another flasher. As far as the LED's being too bright .... I do not think that will be an issue with an amber bulb. In the daytime, you cant really notice a difference but at night there is a definate difference and you will love them.

Yes, they are pricey, but you should get 50k hours from them vs. 1500-1800 hours of life.

Well guys I received my LED's a few days ago. I went with the Mustang Projects Sequential and also ordered the Ultra Bright front turn signals, reverse lights, and side marker lights! Thanks for all the input! I'll get them installed soon and post pics in my rebuild thread.

They come standard with the clicker flasher now.

Thanks!

Edited by jwscarab