Sign in to follow this  
first69

starting sheet metal replacement

As where to start, that is a personal prefferance. Most builds go front to back, for some reason. I started my build in the rear, and am progressing foward.

Do not cut out any portion of your car untill you have new metal ready to go back in. That way, the portion that you are working on can be completed, because it might be attached to something else that needs replacement (trunk floors to tail light pannel, to quarters) There are bunches of threads that you might want to check out in the project section of the forum and see what you might want to tackle first. Your list is common, yet a large task for a first timer.(if this is something you havn't done in the past) Post some pics of your project, it will help us know how to possibly help.

I need floor pans tail light panel, quarters, trunk panels. what should be done first. do I cut out all metal at once or should I cut and fix as I go?[/quote

IMO if you are going to replace quarters make sure your doors are aligned properly with the quarters, if replacing your doors get the new ones and align them before removing the quarters. I replaced the whole rear of my car and tried to remove and replace parts as I progressed with the build but it didn't work out to good for me so I finally removed the whole rear quarters, wheel housings, trunk drop offs, tail light panel basically everything on the rear come off. Then I aligned everything back and clamped or tacked or screwed to make sure it all was fitting correctly before welding solid. It seems like a big ordeal but really its not that bad take your time, make sure it is aligned properly and it goes pretty quickly.

Forgot to mention too that the deck lid needs to be on and aligned before removing quarters.

Edited by det0326

As where to start, that is a personal prefferance. Most builds go front to back, for some reason. I started my build in the rear, and am progressing foward.

Do not cut out any portion of your car untill you have new metal ready to go back in. That way, the portion that you are working on can be completed, because it might be attached to something else that needs replacement (trunk floors to tail light pannel, to quarters) There are bunches of threads that you might want to check out in the project section of the forum and see what you might want to tackle first. Your list is common, yet a large task for a first timer.(if this is something you havn't done in the past) Post some pics of your project, it will help us know how to possibly help.

As per this post quoted, I also started at the back, but at least I did not have to do rear 1/4's (tail panel, rear floor and chassis rail etc).

Then moved onto torque boxes and floors.

Always made sure I had parts to hand before any cutting.

Now onto cowl panel and for this just took of and waiting for top and bottom pieces.

Chris

I recommend cutting out one panel at a time and using what remains as reference points for aligning the new panel. When doing quarters, you should mount and align your doors and trunk lid, and then use the quarter extensions to dial in the contour of the quarter panel to match it.

I replaced everything in front of the firewall first(rear aprons, front aprons, last was shock towers), then torque boxes, toeboards, and floor. Then in the following order the rear cross brace and taillight panel, quarter to taillight panel transition pieces, partial rear frame rail, trunk floors, wheel houses and finally the quarter panels.

There are tips to make some things easier to line up and position properly, so don't be afraid to ask for ideas on how to make it go as smooth as possible.

I also started in the rear of my car. I first cut out the tail light panel, then the l/s trunk floor, & the rear gas tank support panel. When it came time to weld them in I clamped & screwed everything in place & dropped in the gas tank & bolted it in place to hold everything square & then welded. Next before cutting off the quarter skins I made sure the doors were aligned to the old quarters so when I replaced the quarter skins I had a good reference, it made hanging the quarter skins IMO a lot easier. I also screwed the quarter skins on before welding them on. I also had them on & off many times until I was happy with the alignment.

Mike.

As per this post quoted, I also started at the back, but at least I did not have to do rear 1/4's (tail panel, rear floor and chassis rail etc).

Then moved onto torque boxes and floors.

Always made sure I had parts to hand before any cutting.

Now onto cowl panel and for this just took of and waiting for top and bottom pieces.

Chris

Hey we have a Lichfeldian on board! Welcome Silverfox, and we need pics of your Mustang!

Bob

I have done this. I built the entire body from pieces. When I did it, I used self tapping screws to hold the bits together prior to welding and then welded each hole as I removed the screws. This proved to be very handy when parts did not line up right and had to be shifted.