Sign in to follow this  
Rip Rock

Steering Column

Hello, Need some ideas/help. In the 70 Mach I am doing a rod and customs front end as well as a mod motor swap. The steering column should be rebuilt or swapped out. Perfect time to do it when the motor is out and the new front end is going in. There is some play in the up and down, and a bit side to side after this years season. What are my options? either rebuild it (is that possible to get the parts ect?) or get an aftermarket one. As for the aftermarket one I have emailed flaming river and ididit. ididit doesn't make a 70 model. Seems like flaming river is the only one that makes a direct replacement. Saying that is the flaming river a plug n play? is the plug the same as the factory to clip in ect.

Any input from the guys who have replaced theirs or possibly rebuilt their columns?

Notes: I'm using a grant steering wheel and the column is a factory tilt. I'm not set on running the factory one. This is a resto mod car and no plans on making it a 100 point car.

The reason ididit doesn't make the 70 column is because the key is in the column. You could use the non-key column and put the ignition switch in the dash (I am assuming the lower dash is the same between the 69 and 70 and there is something else where the key should be). It would require a bit of rewiring to replace the switch, but it is doable.

You can also find straight 70-73 columns on fleaBay fairly often for around $125. The 71-73 columns are not exactly like the 70 (which appears to be unique, including the switch itself).

Search the forum. Someone had recently rebuilt their column and had listed where they had purchased the necessary bushings. That discussion has been within the last 4 months or so.

Chuck

From what I recall, the Flaming River columns that have the column mounted key uses a GM key and ignition. They may have wiring connectors for the ignition and turn signal for the 70 mustang, but is something I'd definitely ask if you are considering the Flaming River ones.

I talked to an ididit rep at the Syracuse Nationals this summer and he said a '70 specific column (w/ the switch on the column) is in the works. I make it a point to ask them every time I see their display. Not sure what you're timeline is for install though...

Hello, Need some ideas/help. In the 70 Mach I am doing a rod and customs front end as well as a mod motor swap. The steering column should be rebuilt or swapped out. Perfect time to do it when the motor is out and the new front end is going in. There is some play in the up and down, and a bit side to side after this years season. What are my options? either rebuild it (is that possible to get the parts ect?) or get an aftermarket one. As for the aftermarket one I have emailed flaming river and ididit. ididit doesn't make a 70 model. Seems like flaming river is the only one that makes a direct replacement. Saying that is the flaming river a plug n play? is the plug the same as the factory to clip in ect.

Any input from the guys who have replaced theirs or possibly rebuilt their columns?

Notes: I'm using a grant steering wheel and the column is a factory tilt. I'm not set on running the factory one. This is a resto mod car and no plans on making it a 100 point car.

I would be interested in purchasing your old column if you decide to go with another one. Just drop me a PM. Thanks.

The reason ididit doesn't make the 70 column is because the key is in the column. You could use the non-key column and put the ignition switch in the dash (I am assuming the lower dash is the same between the 69 and 70 and there is something else where the key should be). It would require a bit of rewiring to replace the switch, but it is doable.

You can also find straight 70-73 columns on fleaBay fairly often for around $125. The 71-73 columns are not exactly like the 70 (which appears to be unique, including the switch itself).

Search the forum. Someone had recently rebuilt their column and had listed where they had purchased the necessary bushings. That discussion has been within the last 4 months or so.

Chuck

I did actually research the difference in the columns. As it turns out that the only 70 mustangs without a keyed column was the Shelby. They were made in 69. I forgot to add that last night. Moving the ignition isn't a big deal for me, good idea. Now I should use the search button on here. lol

From what I recall, the Flaming River columns that have the column mounted key uses a GM key and ignition. They may have wiring connectors for the ignition and turn signal for the 70 mustang, but is something I'd definitely ask if you are considering the Flaming River ones.

Thanks for the heads up! Appreciate that!

I talked to an ididit rep at the Syracuse Nationals this summer and he said a '70 specific column (w/ the switch on the column) is in the works. I make it a point to ask them every time I see their display. Not sure what you're timeline is for install though...

Real bummer for sure, I have herd good things about their stuff. The column will be a hold up in about 3-6 weeks.

I'm using a column from a '89. The under dash mount is the same but a new lower mount needed to be made. I have pics in a photobucket site but I don't know how to link it.

The way I post pics here from my photobucket site is click on my pic on my photobucket site to enlarge the pic, then right click the mouse & a box appears that says undo, cut, copy, paste, delete, & select all, I left click on copy, then start a reply & right click in the reply box & you get the same box displayed again & l left click on paste & there is my pic. Hope that helps.

Mike.

DSC_0216.jpg

Is this your car?.

Edited by Mike65
spelling.