Sign in to follow this  
ksquared

Which limited slip diff to get?

Seems like there are a lot of choices. Ride is a Mach I with a 428 making around 540hp into a 4spd. I'll be going with 31 splines. I'm thinking the Locker is the best choice but I could be wrong (can't have that). So far I have the following on my list in no special order:

1. Eaton Detroit Locker 187SL17B

2. Strange Standard Clutch-Type Differential N1970B

3. Auburn Gear Pro Series Differential 542036

4. Moser Engineering Trac-Loc Limited Slip Differential 5TL9F31

5. Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differential 913A561

Any suggestions (a spool is out) :001_cool:

Prolly depends on how you drive it. But with 540hp, I think we know the answer. My brother has a Detroit locker in his 69 428scj toploader which works just fine. A lot of the guys on vmf like #5, the truetrac.

Bob

I have #5 for sale if you want it.

Its brand new, never run.

It is a complete center section, but the gears will need to be changed unless you dont mind running a 5.XXX gear ratio...Gears are new as well.

$450 and you pay shipping.

On a side note, a friend has a 31 spline 4 pinion stock unit we have been beating on for a while and have had no issues....HE put down 401hp to the wheels...

Have you considered a Powertrax lock right? That's what I run and have been happy with it. I bought a new one on ebay for a steal and have be pleased. I was a little worried because Richmond's sight says it aggressive and noisy but I really don't notice it when cornering but the locks up pretty good in a straight line.

Didn't know of the Powertrax. Only unit I have personal knowledge is the Detroit Locker which I have in my 75 Bronco. Works fine & is not noisy. I just don't know what else is out there that can handle the torque and live a long life. So I guess the Powertrax is item 6 on my list. Thanks for all the input guys.

I don't think that a Detroit Locker falls in the Limited Slip Differential category. Lockers are their own class. BTW, I have a locker in my car. It is a bit tricky on curves and would be suicide in the rain but my car never sees the rain if I can't help it.

I have a trackloc in my 70 mach and like it just fine. I have a power lock on my 64 f100 4x4 with 36" tires. It wheels like a beast. My 91 Toyota 4x4 has a lock right with 90,000 miles on the gears. It wheels well for a 4cylinder but rachets hard on corners. You have to push the clutch in or power through them. If it were me I would go with the detroit and a nodular case...and stay out of the rain! Just sayin' ;>)

I have run Traction Loc, Detroit Lockers in the past and I currently run a Detroit TruTrac. I'm running about a 600hp 351W stroker with a TKO 5 speed. The TruTrac works great. I like Detroit Lockers, but for a street driven car they can be annoying with the noise when they ratchet. I have no issues whatsoever with the TruTrac. I like the fact it has no wear parts in it. When I'm driving normally it acts like an open differential. But when I put power to it, it acts just like a Locker.

Detriot Lockers work great and I drove one for years on the street in Florida no less, lots of rain. Never had any problems. However they work better with automatics IMO, manuals tend to exacerbate the clicking, banging and quirky nature.

I have a Truetrac in my current car and it works great. Very quiet and controlled.

If you want the best of both worlds, strength of a D. Locker and manners of a Truetrac, look at the Wavetrac that Moser sells. Supposed to the best there is for a high horsepower street driver. But be prepared for some serious wallet depletion syndrome.

Edited by fordguy69
spelling