Sign in to follow this  
69_mach_1

Re-Skin doors

Just re-skinned a couple doors about 2 months ago. My first time at it as well.

The only place you will need to be concerned with is the outer folded hem. If you notice when you have the replacement ski, it already ahs the upper section attached to it.

Use a flap disk sander and sand the very leading edge of the hem on all 3-side till you see 3 layers of metal. The skin will pretty much lift off from here except for the occasional stray spot weld. Its pretty self explanatory.

Taking the old skin off and cleaning up the shell is a piece of cake. Installing the new skin so that the hem is nice and flat is a SOB ! Its definitely a 2 man job if you have nothing to hold the door with

I must say I was pretty spooked before I did mine but it was far simpler than quarters if that's any consolation. Just set it on there and go to work with the hammer. Bend the lip incrementally around (it'll take a good five passes) and expect to have to use filler around the edge of the door dolly marks are inevitable trying to get that crisp bend

Thanks Guys, I understand how to get the front edge and the bottom edge off, my concern is the top edge where the window comes through. It doesn't look like I can get anything in there to get to the spot welds? And have you tried the Skin Zipper tool to put the new one on? That looks like a good investment even for 2 doors?

Look at your new skin. You will notice nothing is attached to the top except at the front where there is a brace with a couple spot welds at the front end of the door. All the stuff at the top is also on the new skin so you don't need to remove it.

Used the skin zipper. Its a frustrating art. Don't let the video fool you. Its not that easy and especially with the3 door lines. The video shows a straight seam door. Your 69 is only straight at the bottom.

By the second door I was using just the dolly and hammer

I guess you could say I "slightly" rebuilt my driver's door. The bottom was rotted from some lovely rat nest. If you are wondering what your inner door should look like before the skin goes on...

attachment.php?attachmentid=12756&d=1353619883

there are just a couple of places where the top of the outer part of the door top touch the inner structure. I have a skin for the pass. side, might shoot a pic, if you like.

100_0369.jpg

100_0391.jpg

I did my passengers side door. I took my angle grinder & went all around the outer edges & ground it until the skin came loose. It was easy, took me about 1/2 hour to get the old skin off. After I cleaned up the inside of the door I used Mastercoat silver rust preventive paint on the inside of the door before installing the new skin.

The top portion on the door skin attaches to two areas, front and rear. There are small tabs that get spot welded, you will find them when you take the old skin off. I couldn't get a good pic of the front tab, but the rear is behind the inner structure. Not to bad, just a little tight.

IMG_20130903_190100_zpsf19f9533.jpg

When you get going, and if you run into a problem, I'm quite shure there are a few of us who will be able to help you threw it, hope it helps clarify the situation a little.