Sign in to follow this  
CJC

Lower Steering Column Cover Help

Does any one know if there is a metal strap that goes under the plastic cover that mounts under the steering column? Does the plastic housing with the two mounting tabs just screw into the bottom of the metal dash with no other reinforcement? Thanks for any and all help. 1969 Mach i

From what I understand, the 69 had a metal strap/cover for the turn signal harness. The lower cover has a notch which this metal cover passes through. In 70 the metal cover was removed.

69 plastic cover with notch:

SW10.jpg

69 column with metal cover:

IMG_0705.jpg

69 grommet that goes around column and into opening of plastic trim:

69colgrom_1.jpg

Is there a decent sized gap between the column and your plastic trim? Most cars I've seen had the grommet, not saying they were original though.

This one has the mustang part number on the back, fwiw: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Mustang-Steering-Column-cover-Dash-Grommet-Doughnut-Mint-Original-69-/181199952615?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a305bdae7&vxp=mtr

No clue, as I only have 70 cars. See below for pics. From what I can tell, it just finishes off the steering column at the lower dash/gauge cluster/lower column trim area.

1969_00104_06.jpg

mufp_0711_09_z%2b1969_mustang_SportsRoof%2binterior.jpg

Otherwise without the trim you have large gaps around the column at those panel areas, like below (between column and instrument cluster mainly, since they are removing the lower trim in this picture)

0604_mump_19z%2b1969_ford_mustang%2bdash_trim.jpg

Here is the grommet installed on a Cougar lower shroud, similar principle should apply with the mustang trim:

69colgrom.jpg

Does any one know if there is a metal strap that goes under the plastic cover that mounts under the steering column? Does the plastic housing with the two mounting tabs just screw into the bottom of the metal dash with no other reinforcement? Thanks for any and all help. 1969 Mach i

No metal strap under the ABS/plastic cover. The only column support is a metal brace/bracket, stamped with the Sept 3 1968, in this photo and can been seen in the other photo posted. Brian

I really don't remember. Where does it go, behind the plastic cover? How does it attach?

The rubber grommet, C9ZB-3K680-B, is a compression fit with a interesting little interlocking mechanism to get it to stay in place. Brian

The rubber grommet in those first pictures are a from a cougar. The picture Brian posted is correct, but!!! They had two, one long, one a bit shorter. The steering column in a fast back uses (originally) an extra two aluminum block spacers to lower the steering column. coupes did not use them. The seat pan is shorter on a fastback and also the laid back roof line. You can take out the extra two spacers and raise the column if you want to change the position in a fastback.