Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Need ideals for brushable floor paint

I want to put a rust inhibitor on the floor before appling a sound deadner, but the product needs to be brushed or rolled. I was looking at a gallon of Rustoleum, they claim it stops rust and doesn't flake. I know a lot guys are using the POR 15.

What will give me more bang for my money.

I just saw this - What do you think?

Rust-Oleum® professional undercoating is an easy to use, black rubberized coating. It provides corrosive protection from water, salt and other chemicals. It helps deaden sound and its trusted rust preventive formula provides a barrier from rust on cars, trucks, trailers and other recreational vehicles.

• Professional Grade
  • Corrosion Resistant
  • Deadens Sound
  • Paintable/Quick Dry

I've used Eastwood's stuff(think it's called Rust Encapsulator these days). I didn't keep the car long enough to see how it held up, though. Seems like I remember reading it is better suited for your situation than POR15.

I just saw this - What do you think?

Rust-Oleum® professional undercoating is an easy to use, black rubberized coating. It provides corrosive protection from water, salt and other chemicals. It helps deaden sound and its trusted rust preventive formula provides a barrier from rust on cars, trucks, trailers and other recreational vehicles.

• Professional Grade
  • Corrosion Resistant
  • Deadens Sound
  • Paintable/Quick Dry

But how does it react if it's painted over existing rust? The description sounds like it is sealing the surface from new rust, but nothing mentioned about existing rust. Can you treat/remove your surface rust and then use that product? Regular paint works just fine as long as you have a good clean surface.

+1 For Manley...I have used Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator and it works great. They have the spray and the brush on. I have also used it not only on my car but on a lot of rusted metal things around the house.

POR15 doesn't need rust in order to be applied. They sell the prep products specifically to get the surface clean for the POR15 application (like Marine Clean). I've had excellent experience with the POR15 high temp paint for exhaust manifolds and brake caliper/drums. I had the exhaust manifolds sandblasted and then painted them with their high temp paint. I had 30k miles before I removed them for headers and 99% of the coating was still intact. There was a few rust pockets in crevices, likely where the coating was thin or I didn't get it prepped good enough.

Rustoleum is definitely cheaper than POR15, but agree that it takes forever to cure. IMO avoid Rustoleum and look at the POR15 or Rust Encapsulator. POR15 is more finicky on the surface prep than Rust Encapsulator.

From reading many post and other reviews, POR 15 seems to best for my situation and it was easier for me this morning to go to the local Speed Shop and buy a quart of POR 15, but I had to bite the bullit and shell out $45. A gallon of the Rust Oleum truck liner was $29.00.

I was told that once I open the can of POR and don't use all of it that I will never be able to open the can again, so I guess I'll have to plan and use it all the first time, I guess a quart won't go very far.

A trick for the POR15 can to be reusable is to use some plastic wrap from your kitchen across the entire can (overhang all edges), then place the lid on top. This prevents the lid from bonding to the can.

The only way I know to not have rust bubble up (in some cases years later with the fancy encapsulators or convertors) is to just wire brush it off. If it were just my floors and I were doing away with carpet I'd use Bedliner . check out spi paints.