Sign in to follow this  
cavboy78

rear seat option

I'm in a bit of a quandry here and wanted some feedback from the masses. I have a 70 sportsroof and trying to decide what to do with my rear seat. My car did not have the folddown rear seat originally. I currently have in my possession all the items for the conversion but the rear flat panel. Chrome is not that great on what I have. Missing panel is hard to find, expensive, and generally has poor chrome. I would rather spend money elsewhere at this point. I kind of like option 2 right now but I haven't seen anyone do this. In theory, it should fit...

Options

1- Make missing panel out of wood (until I have more money/inclination to buy proper panel). Carpet it and attach chrome trim kit. I don't think you could even tell the difference. (Cheaper)

2- Buy 65-68 rear seat delete and try to make work. (Lighter and different; Unsure how the delete panel will fit in a 70). http://www.cjponyparts.com/shelby-rear-seat-delete-fiberglass-fastback-1966/p/RSD16/

Caveat: Don't ever use the rear seat and am fine losing it...

Edited by cavboy78
clarity

If money was not the problem, then go with number 1. If so you can do number 2. Something to think about, why do you want the fold down seat? Is it worth it? I don't have a fold down seat but would like to have one but it really isn't practical for me, just for looks. My thinking is, why spend money on something when I could put the money to better use somewhere else on the car. Just a thought.

Hey Chuck/Mike,

It appears that I edited for clarity while you were posting. To alleviate confusion for everyone else, I eliminated option 1 (So 2 is now 1 and 3 is now 2).

Back on topic...If the fold down seats are all dimensionally the same, shouldn't it be close? If it's too large, then I can sand to fit. It it's a bit small, I was thinking on adding some windlace around the edges.

Mike,

I have finished the mechanicals/drivetrain and the body/paint is going to be worked on when I deploy to Afghanistan this coming year. The interior is next on my to do list. I never use or would want to use the rear seat. I think the fold-down/delete option is a much cleaner look and I generally prefer function and clean look to originality. The delete would also save some weight, which would be an added bonus. Additionally, the package tray is not in the best of shape, has 6x9 cut outs, and squeaks and rattles on every bump (personal pet peeve).

Generally the FDS will add value and the fact that it converts from regular back seat car to a pseudo 2-seater makes it a cool option. I went thru this on my 70 Mach and didn't realize what a pain it is to get all those parts together.

If you are set on losing it that's cool but being so close and only needing the flat panel? You cant turn back now. It sure seems like you could find that cheap if you just keep at it. I think my three panel folding assy is from a 68. There are some subtle differences but early years can be used in our cars.

If you can send me a picture of what your needing, there is a guy in my town who has a ton of Mustang parts. If I can find what your looking for, I can let you know how much he wants. I'm not in it for the money, so rest assured that I'll only tell you the actual cost plus shipping. I just would like to help out another Mustang owner.

John

miketyler, it is a pain...and expensive to boot. I guess I can press with the FDS since nothing is permanent. I am aware of the differences in years, but not too concerned with the minor differences. Appreciate the pep talk.

John, appreciate the offer. I attached the picture that should explain it. If you don't have the time, no worries.

Is there any feedback on the quality of the repro fds chrome? enm.png

I went thru the same process in that my panel (the one that you need)was from a 65. it was an easy modification, only a couple of holes to drill if my memory serves me. I bought the aftermarket chrome trim kit from CJponyparts, and it looks pretty good to me. One trim piece on each side of the panel with the latch holes needed some "massaging" in order to fit and the chrome chipped on mine but its not too bad for me to be upset.