Sign in to follow this  
GlenK

Need Help Please...

Hi all,

My brother-in-law has the following:

1969 Mustang Mach 1 for sale. Project car - have all the pieces, but no time and extra income needed. Engine, trans, rear installed.

428 Cobra Jet, C6 trans, 10 inch posi rear

Besides 12 pics, that's all the info I have right now. Do I need to check the VIN or door plate for anything special with this year? After looking on eBay, it sounds like there may be a couple of unique builds for this year.

Can anyone help me out so I can maybe try to help him sell this car? He's had it for 20+ years and with his restaurant he's just never had time to deal with it like he would've liked to. Now - his family needs the extra cash in a bad way.

Pics here: http://glenklein.blogspot.com/

Thanks for any advice!

Glen

If the 428 is original to the car it is worth more money. I would go to the vin decoder above and see what all options it had. I'm sure if you posted the VIN here or all the options and such everyone would be more than happy to tell you what it's worth, you maybe even get a sale from it.

I would verify the "10 inch posi rear". Most likely a 9".

Chuck,

I will double-check on the posi - thanks for pointing that out and for the links... I'm on it!

If anyone takes a look at the pics and can tell me what they think the car is worth (ballpark), that would be a tremendous help also.

Glen

I would ask him to take more pictures. If I were to buy a car off eBay without actually touching it first, I would want to see more from the car.

Specific areas are:

* Engine bay, especially along the shock towers and fire wall

* Floors. If you can take pictures from underneath the car, that would also help.

* Trunk. Same as above, include pictures of the gas tank.

* Along the rear wheel wells.

* Along the driprail, especially around the back glass.

* Interior.

Good luck!

Chuck

The VIN will verify the engine. The door data plate will identify most everything else. The $15 Marti Report should list all of the original options.

Chuck

Edited by MustangChuck
(EDIT: Changed the Marti Report to the $15 version)

If the car was a 428 it would have the added shock tower supports. It doesn't. No 10" rear ends and yes should be a 9". The fender aprons will also have the VIN stamping toward the radiator support. Check the backside of the block for a letter' C '.

The door data info will be helpful. 428 cobra jet motor, correct C6 trans and 9" 31 spline rear end are big ticket items. Brian

Edited by Brian Conway

VIN and door plate info coming this afternoon.

He's sat on it for 20+ years and probably just doesn't remember what he has.

I'll post numbers as soon as I get them... thanks for the all the info!

Edited by GlenK

Ok guys...

Obviously, you Ford nuts were right! Just as a disclaimer - I should note that I am a Chevy guy, but I love just about anything from this era.

Anyway, my brother-in-law doesn't know what he's got. I'm still trying to get the door plate numbers from his wife, but the VIN is as follows (as I read it):

9T02H211011

Fred’s car was

9 = 1969

T = built in Metuchen, New Jersey

02 = Fastback Mach 1

H = Optional 250HP 351

211011 = 211, 011th car built

He bought it in 1985 with 69,000 miles on it and it's never been driven since.

He's on the road and his wife doesn't know anything about cars, so I'm trying to work double-time here.

I will post door plate info - hopefully this morning.

I still don't know where the 428 came from and am trying to figure out if Fred bought it with the 428 or if he put it in there. I've also put in a request for the pics you guys wanted.

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Glen

Too bad it wasn;t an original 428. that would have been exciting. Still, you can get more money for it with a 428 already in it.

Rumor has it Canada will pay higher dollar for Mustangs because they are harder to find. Michigan isn't that far. Might be worth looking into if they need the money.

Doesnt look like a big ticket 69. Hopefully it can pull an ok amount if it really has a working 428 in it.

Off topic somewhat. Next time a better thread title would be better. Something more specific, like "Need help please identifying vehicle/options" or something along those lines. Just 99% of the threads on this board can be titled "Need help please".

Doesnt look like a big ticket 69. Hopefully it can pull an ok amount if it really has a working 428 in it.

I agree - thanks. I hope he can make some money too.

Off topic somewhat. Next time a better thread title would be better. Something more specific, like "Need help please identifying vehicle/options" or something along those lines. Just 99% of the threads on this board can be titled "Need help please".

Next time I have a need to get online and post to a Ford forum, I'll keep that in mind. I'll make sure to double-check my forum etiquette with you before posting.

I don't usually post on forums and I'm hoping to not make it a habit but I'm sure you're right. I should've been more specific. Still - your comment is a little "douchebag" to me, and like you said: "off topic". I'll try to do better in the future.

Judging from your avatar, you must be a little younger than I am. Since you're offering advice, here's a piece of advice from my generation for you:

"Don't be a douche".

If you need help on the definition, ask your mommy.

Edited by GlenK

I don't think he was being a douche, just giving a tip on posting. Maybe he exaggerated a little on the percentage but he's right, a lot of threads could be titled as such. There are forums out there that would have had much harsher responses. Regardless, a more descriptive thread title would be beneficial.

I don't think he was being a douche, just giving a tip on posting. Maybe he exaggerated a little on the percentage but he's right, a lot of threads could be titled as such. There are forums out there that would have had much harsher responses. Regardless, a more descriptive thread title would be beneficial.

Ok - I apologize.

I just don't get online as much as some people for this type of thing. I was always taught that if you don't have anything of value to offer then STFU.

I might've taken his post the wrong way. I just want to help my family and all he's offering is how to post on the forum?

I could've been more descriptive but I thought this was a forum for grease monkey's - not forum etiquette nerds. I'm not here to get into a pissing match so I'm sorry if I started one... truly.

If this is the wrong forum - enough said - I apologize and will move on.

Thanks for all of your guys' help - besides my last grumpy post, I genuinely appreciate your help! Sorry... just a grumpy old Chevy fan here...

Glen

Edited by GlenK

Wanted to mention, it also helps, on this and many other forums, when others are looking for help with a related problem. (title description)

On topic, was waiting with anticipation of pics.

Sorry RacerX - I just realized you were probably waiting for the "additional" pics... hopefully coming soon.

TBH though... y'all Ford guys seem a little too like the sensitive type around here though... :whistling:

J/K ... I'll post the new pics when available.

Edited by GlenK

Sorry, but I have to agree that it was silly to request a more specific thread title. Maybe if there were hundreds of new posts each day, the OP might benefit from being specific, but the request is somewhat off-putting rather than helpful. It's pretty difficult to critique a newcomer without making them feel unwelcome.

Now...I don't follow the prices of project cars these days, but I'll throw a number out there. Assuming there are no major surprises that detract from the value, you might get 4-5K out of the car if it is a Mach 1, which you can't prove yet. The 02 in the VIN only means Sportroof. The body code *must* be 63C for it to be a Mach 1. You can get a more detailed description of the car's original stats by getting a standard Marti Report: http://www.martiauto.com/reports2.cfm

The rear end should be a 9 inch. If you have the original data plate on the driver's door, we can determine a bit more info regarding the original trans, paint, body, and rear end gears.

I don't usually open a non descriptive thread. The only reason I viewed this "need help" thread is because it went to two pages, and I thought it might be really good. Not too many folks post in the Technical Forum who don't need help. The tip to the op that a description of the help needed was not rude, and might be helpful to others. However, the op's response to the tip was unwarranted. I've never had the balls after just joining a car site to start name calling. That's just my view, yours may vary.

Bob

I agree - thanks. I hope he can make some money too.

Next time I have a need to get online and post to a Ford forum, I'll keep that in mind. I'll make sure to double-check my forum etiquette with you before posting.

I don't usually post on forums and I'm hoping to not make it a habit but I'm sure you're right. I should've been more specific. Still - your comment is a little "douchebag" to me, and like you said: "off topic". I'll try to do better in the future.

Judging from your avatar, you must be a little younger than I am. Since you're offering advice, here's a piece of advice from my generation for you:

"Don't be a douche".

If you need help on the definition, ask your mommy.

Sorry RacerX - I just realized you were probably waiting for the "additional" pics... hopefully coming soon.

TBH though... y'all Ford guys seem a little too like the sensitive type around here though... :whistling:

J/K ... I'll post the new pics when available.

You come on our site here & start name calling & you want our help.

You come on our site here & start name calling & you want our help.

Glen your parents should have named you Dick - enough said....move on

Gentlemen, please have patience with the guy. He has admitted to being relatively new to the whole forum scene and doesn't know proper forum etiquette. Let's show him the kindness we show each other and help him out.

Chuck