Sign in to follow this  
Fordrevhead

Mustang's 50th Anniversary

I hope so. I am already registered and booked the host hotel. I plan on driving down. Probably take two days driving down to make it a nice cruise there.

Would you share the website that you resistered with. Thanks

My firend with a '65 and I have talked about it several times over the last few years but I hadn't really looked into it to be honest. I just assumed it was in Detroit or maybe somewhere in NY to try and duplicate the old Worlds Fair, I had no idea it was in NC. My brother lives in Raleigh which I don't think is too far from there but last time I drove down it was a good 15 hours long, not sure even if my car is ready by then that I'm up for a cruise that long, gas alone will be over $800.

For those who don't know... and maybe live on the other coast or somewhere in-between. There is also a celebration in Vegas. It's a three day drive for me and I'll I have to wash the under carriage a few times until I get far enough south and out of the salt; but I've already got the wife fired up to go. I think the strip is going to cost me more than the gas anyway. But what the heck, its only going to happen this one time. Of course that is if the car is ready this summer I wouldn't take a new motor on a road trip with out a lot of shake down time.

If anyone is planning on driving down from the North East, a little tip, if you plan on taking 95 South into NC you want to be past DC, and Northern VA before 12PM. If you're not from this area then you have no idea how bad the traffic is. After 12PM the rush hour traffic starts and it's gridlocked from DC to south of Fredericksburg, VA until about 7PM. Talking average speeds of 25-35mph, and that's when its actually moving, with backups of 15-20 miles. I would look at taking back roads and bypass this section of 95 altogether.

@lead_magnet. Here are a couple useful links for the 50th. They give all the details that are finalized right now. Some of the sites are a little buggy but it looks like April 16-20 are going to be the main days. It's at the international speedway in Vegas.

http://www.mustang.org/content.php/412-MCA-50TH-BIRTHDAY-CELEBRATION-INFORMATION

http://www.mustang50thbirthdaycelebration.com/vegas/index.html

Thanks... this is actually quite helpful, gives me a deadline to have my car road-worthy by... haha, that's not gonna happen.

lead_magnet - I kinda have the same deadline, except mine is more like August/September because I have to put 500+ miles on it this fall to break it in prior to driving 3200 miles round trip. Uggg... well might have the motor in this week. Crossing my figures.