Sign in to follow this  
TeamPontiac79

Metal Dragon found under package tray from factory!

Hi Folks,

While doing some work on my 69 coupe, I removed the package tray and found what appears to be a lead depiction of a water dragon, about 2" long attached to the drivers side through a small factory hole in the package tray. It appears to have been put there intentionally, and painted with the car during production. Has anyone else come across something like this?

Edited by TeamPontiac79

That's bizarre and kinda creepy. Could just be a glob that your minds eye interprets into something recognizable like cloud watching since even though it's a mythical sort of creature the proportions are a tad goofy.

Looks to me like a sea horse with a mermaids tale and a large fish flipper.

those guys on the line barely had time to put all the parts in the right place on the car, much less sculpt something. i think its a fluke, but would make a cool avatar, and screen name "metal Dragon' . sounds like an 80's rock band

Thing is, it appears to have been deliberately stuck there. I'll try to get a pic of the underneath. The manor in which it's attached leads me to believe it was not accidental, though I can't imagine why someone would go out of their way to stick it there, except maybe as some kind of very limited inside joke. And make no mistake, this thing is metal, lead I'm guessing, probably from lead filler at the factory. It is not just a random dropping of glue or some other substance!

Edited by TeamPontiac79

It's certainly not uncommon for workers to leave behind little easter eggs under carpets other than a build sheet or scribblings on panels down the line. I've heard stories of empty cigarette packs, combs, pencils, a game of tic-tac-toe, change, a roach etc..

If you have ever watched someone leading a car though it's not exactly a workable medium for designing things like say if you were welding instead so a lot of time would have been spent for a very mediocre outcome, you would have to poor it into a mold or carve a hardened piece to really make something. Different areas seem to have different textures also which doesn't seem possible unless it was peeled off an old glove or towel or what not. If it was intentional than more than likely someone looked at the glob and thought the head was horselike and then just stuck it there.

Sadly all any of us can ever do is speculate and we'll likely never know what was behind it which makes it kinda cool in its own right. I thought we had a member a while back who claimed to work on the line at Ford back in the day but I can't recall who.

I worked the lines back in the early 70's and there were times that things just happened.:yes:

Like an empty pint bottle left in the rear window cavity on the pass side.

So if you have an annoying rattle, you may check for loose items behind the panels.

I think you're right. Most likely thing is someone else 45 years ago picked up some scrap, found it recognizable as I did, and made it part of the car. I like it because it adds human nature to something very industrial. I think I'll be leaving my dragon right where it is! As someone here suggested, I may make it my avatar, provided I ever have time to learn how, and then actually do it! First thing is first though... Gotta get the old girl spiffed up for new paint on Monday!

@ Mach1Rider: and if someone were to find one of these pint bottles might they per chance have your finger prints on them?

@TeamPontiac79: Enjoy your new Avatar and custom user title compliments of 69stang.com!

IMO .. BITCHIN!! Some worker was probably on his luchbreak and was messin around with some metal and figured .. Why not ... stick in the next car on the line ... had a good laugh and let it go .. 44 years later you get a cool find.

Ancient Chinese saying from the Ming Dynasty " Ahhhhhh ... you find dwagon in Mustang ... berrrryyyy goooood wuck .. you honoah yooo famwy"

:yes:

Guys,

I find old stuff on C-130's........

we pulled a galley out of the plane and it showed that this guys made a bet with another guy in 1964!!! and wrote it on the wall of the plane!!

But stuff like that is cool..