Sign in to follow this  
mach1jim

stearing mod rackin pinion

well im not paying 2000 for a kit so I am building my own got the rack and fabing my own supports. going to make my pivit joints with hime joints. My question is what are the tie rod ends (spindle) that connect to heim joints called I cannot find anything p70bley because I dont know what to call them thanks will post pics when done.

JIm in Aus Tex

ps U dont haft to spell it to build it !!:yes:

Might need a bit more info from you. Are you planning on using heim (rod ends) ends on one or both ends of the tie rod? Most guys just use one on the inner end unless they use a bump steer kit on the spindle. How are you going to attach the rod end to the rack? Directly to the rack end, or to a piece that connects to the rack ends which allows you to mount the inner tie rods in the correct spot to avoid bump steer? If you attach the rod ends directly to the ends of the rack, the rack must be the correct width, and depending on the height location of the rack, it should be the same width as the inner mounts of the tie rods on the stock center link. I believe that width is about 15-1/2". Otherwise bump steer will occur. A 15-1/2" rack is difficult to locate. That is why most modify a rack with a rear bar to which the inner pivot of the tie rod mounts.

Bob

yes im going to use heim joints inner and outer I have this on my race car it works well I believe it is a pinto set up I intend to use a beretta power r&p it has good solid mounting points if u have any other models that might work I would like to hear fabing is not the issue I did not know the bump steer pivot point radus that info helps to center the pinion I had intended to put a string on each tie rod hole on the spindle and turn them full turning radus to measure find center or at least the max travel on the rack I believe its 11 inch full travel

I intended to measure the leanth of the existing distance between tie rods inner and outer tire rods to get my bump steer

After re reading your first post I think you're asking the part name that connects the spindle arm to the heim on the tie rod. If yes, then they go by a couple of names. Speedway, All Star Performance among others call it a tie rod adapter stud. Other companies just sell it as part of a bump steer kit. You need to get the correct taper depending on the spindle you use. Ford uses a 7 degree taper. Some tapers have a 7/16" small end of the hole on the spindle like 69 Mustangs, and others have a 1/2" small hole. Many places sell the 7 degree taper reamer, Speedway and AFCO included.

The only rear steer rack used off a production car where the tie rods mount directly to the rack ends that I recall was the Dodge Omni unit. I believe either Flaming River or TCI used a narrowed Omni rack till they made their own. I bought a used Omni track to narrow, but didn't care for the quality ( thin steel tube for housing). I then narrowed an 80ish BMW rack( aluminum housing and bigger/ better quality gears) , but haven't installed it. I'm just tying to do the priority things to get my car on the road first, then tackle r&p among other mods. My new Flaming River manual box will have to do for now.

Bob

If you are going to use the same one that is in the Chevy Beretta, that could work. It could be the same one that Randalls Rack used. He used the same one that was in Chevy Cavilar and a whole bunch of other GM products from about 1985.

You are taking on a large project, it will probably take a lot of trial and errors. But if you have the tools and time, go for it!

Look up "J car rack mustang" on google and you'll find quite a few threads on mustang forums. The most common DIY rack and pinion swaps are either the J car racks (Cavalier/Sunfire/Grand Am/etc) or the Taurus racks. Both have a larger turning radius, so the car will end up turning like a semi truck. Bumpsteer has also been an issue if I recall correctly.

Few threads for ideas:

http://www.1969stang.com/articles/rack.html

http://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/157856-early-mustang-rack-and-pinion.html

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/j-car-rack-and-pinion.479599/

There are a few on the vintage-mustang website as well.

I recently replaced the Mustang II system that was on my 1970 Mach I when I got it 10 years ago. I never really cared for it. It had a very wide turning radius, a vague road feel, bump steer, and finally, was leaking like a sieve. It looked like a cobbled together system.

I decided to go with a Borgeson System. Problem for me was basically having to rebuild the old stock system to convert. While the Borgeson kit was cheaper than most of the other systems, once I got into it I had to buy a center link, idler/pitman arm, a power steering bracket as the 351 Cleveland engine used a unique bracket and a few other items. Also the 1970 Mustang used some one year only parts which incorporate 1 1/16†openings instead of the normal 1†for other years which were more expensive and harder to find.

Borgeson doesn’t make a kit for the 351C so they pieced together a kit for me sans a power steering bracket. I got it separately from March Pullies. The additional parts I had to buy pushed the price well past most replacement R&P systems.

Once installed, the steering effort was much higher initially, however I went to a big empty parking lot and did figure eight’s for a while and it loosened up. I’ve had the Borgeson system now for about three months and am very satisfied with it. It has good road feel and no bump steer problems. If I was replacing a stock Mustang system I’d recommend it for most people who want a good driver and not concerned with maintaining the stock system and look.

Good luck with yours and keep us informed on your progress. :yes: