Sign in to follow this  
55Mach1

1970 Mach 1 Rocker moldings, should I keep or delete in my new build?

My car is being redone for the 3 time,yes i am insane but i am excited to see how the car performs with the new Detroit Speed system and a new 585hp 427 motor.

In my prior build I matched my custom wheels to the Mach 1 moldings with the gunmetal gray finish on the face. I think it looked awesome and so did everyone at shows but i never do the same thing twice which is why I am stumped on what to do next here. I may even stick with the same wheel design as i think it works great on these cars.

I have sold off the wheels in the photos because they wouldn't work on my new build and was leaning toward something different and i anticipated on changing the look of my car overall.

I have to say the Mach 1 lower moldings are neat because of their rarity and that they protect the lower body from stone chips but to be honest i really am not a huge fan of their styling and how much space they consume on the lower body/ Another thing is the gray contrast they have.

I have contemplated just taking them off and maybe powder coating them matte black and then do a matte black face on my new wheels or just take them off all together. My biggest issue is to remove them will need body work and most likely a full paint job. ( not in the budget now)

Here are two photos of my car before the resto shop tore it down, it was very nice looking but i am taking it to a new level for more show and go this time around.

comments, thoughts please post or PM

I like your car! Please post pictures of your build! As for the rockers, keep them on until you have the budget to do it. "Do it once, do it right."

so your not a fan of the rockers too? the shop doing my build is planning to do a full build thread over at pro touring soon. let me tell you this build is pretty intense with the amount of fabrication to a perfectly finished car. I was brave.

Now i live in NY and we have horrible roads and lots of road debris which is going to ruin the lower body paint if i remove these rocker molding. yes i can 3M clear film it but that can also cause issues over time.

Without the lower moldings its just a mustang, Not a Mach1.

your 100% correct i feel the same way and my car is a real Mach 1 and 1970 was the only year for these moldings

I just wish there was something that i can do to make these more custom looking for my build. I contacted EVOD industries about making me a custom one off set but at 7 grand i declined to go that far.

Actually, I do like them. But if you're not happy with them, don't use them. My taste in (pro-touring type) cars is cars that looks original, but isn't. The cars with the crazy 2-tone or 3-tone paint jobs isn't my cup of tea. Keep them looking stock inside and out, but add subtle performance items here and there. Slam them to the ground, add a good looking wheel/brake package. Make it a sleeper. Mach1Rider is right, those moldings make your car a Mach 1.

Without the lower moldings its just a mustang, Not a Mach1.

^^^^^^^ This!!!

They might look cool in a "Hotrod Black" or maybe a "Glossy Black" to match the color of the car. It would be nice if someone could photoshop some options for you.

Good luck w/your rebuild.

First off, your car looks great, nice stance. Personally I like the lower rockers and found that the charcoal metallic was a nice contrast no matter what color the car was originally. I just restored mine here:

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=11911&highlight=paint+rockers

I wanted as close to original color as possible. I bought the rattle can product from NPD but found it to be like typical rattle can paint and was a delicate coating and easy to scratch. To be fair, this may have improved had I given it more time to cure but having used it on the grille, headlight trims, and lower grille panel found it was TOO easy to scratch.

I took the paint to a local auto supply and had them mix up a matching 2-stage product with full gloss. This cost quite a bit more but provided a much more durable finish. Also, the gloss aspect doesnt really come across as noticeable,maybe because the rockers are so close to the ground. Regardless I used this on all the charcoal metallic parts and it just looks great.

guys im def gonna keep them but im just thinking of something to do to them

i may take mine off and powdercoat in a matte charcoal gray and then have my wheel centers done in the exact same powerdercoat so it matched perfectly.

my mach1 moldings are PERFECT and that is a rarity for sure.

has anyone with a black Mach 1 ever painted them gloss black or a Matte black? i havent been able to find any photos of such. the Matte black would also look neat since the shaker scoop, rear wing and front spoiler are all matte black it could blend in nicely.

They are a dark charcoal metallic. Under some lighting, may appear black.

Mike do you have any photos possibly of an NOS molding or from original cars you can post up? so many cars looks different from light gray, med gray, texture black etc. I think everyone takes their own approach on refinishing these.

No, but I am sure they are out there. NPD spent some time researching their product before they arrived at the color they offer now. I bought several cans anticipating using it on rockers and other parts. I tested on the inside of of my original rockers and it was pretty close but as you might imagine was dramatically darker than the outside. Here's one supposedly NOS one from eBay and from this lighting looks grey.

$(KGrHqZHJEgE88d2OW)9BPZUou4vH!~~60_12.JPG

Mike yeah I saw those on Ebay it looks really a matte/satin with Zero shine whatsoever. Is this how these were originally finished? Mine has some shine to them which I am not a fan but it does match Gunmetal powdercoating perfectly on the wheels i had

Yes, I think they were originally a matte maybe even semi-gloss finish. Same as headlight bezels, grille, etc. Rick Schmidts 5000 mile unrestored specimen is below. I think he may have used the panel from this car in developing the color that NPD sells today.

Im002395.jpg

Edited by miketyler

I considered ditching my Mach's rocker moldings too. But, I think the contrast really works with the car, as it does on yours. It will look too plain without them, and have that typical pro tour look which was the fad a few years ago. Your Mach has a classic, badass, look right now. I'd say leave them!

I considered ditching my Mach's rocker moldings too. But, I think the contrast really works with the car, as it does on yours. It will look too plain without them, and have that typical pro tour look which was the fad a few years ago. Your Mach has a classic, badass, look right now. I'd say leave them!

thanks i agree it does add alot to the cars line, i really like your car as well and followed your build on here a while back. have you finished your car yet?

Here are a few NOS Rocker parts. Its really hard to see the exact color because of the different lighting and camera flashes.

I used the NPD (AP-GPA) rattle can without any clear coat or sealer and Its holding up great after 2 years.