Sign in to follow this  
ramair351

installing a tach dash?

$300-400 might be a little low but if you can find them for that price than thats great. I would like to see them come down. I have seen delusional dealers out there that are at $800-$1k for an unrestored cluster. One particlar dealer has been running just the temperature gauge for a tach cluster for $399. It has been on eBay for maybe a year now and has yet to sell. The last two unrestored tach panels I saw on eBay went for over $500ea. When I first got my car back in 2010 and decided I wanted factory tach, I found both tach and clock panels for $600.

great thats a big help. tach clusters seem to be 3-400 it seems. i was thinkin of the dakota digital setup, but thats nearly a grand. so the oem route seems more reasonable. -pete

That sounds low for a reconditioned cluster. I bought one last year and converted my non-tach car. Used the wiring diagram listed above.

great thats a big help. tach clusters seem to be 3-400 it seems. i was thinkin of the dakota digital setup, but thats nearly a grand. so the oem route seems more reasonable. -pete

well a few years ago before i bought a mustang , i remember seeing them at a swap meet for 3-4 hundred. but the years fly by as we get older. if they are approching 7 bills now, i am definately going the aftermarket route with a dakota or auto meter cluster, and get some modern gauges.

I wouldn't necessarily give up hope based on our conversation. I too like the factory look and bet if you are patient you can find one. You may need to cast a wider net in your searches. If I didn't get a factory tach, I was seriously considering a hood tach.

Edited by miketyler

If I didn't get a factory tach, I was seriously considering a hood tach.

same here, i'd consider a hood tach too. anyone have one they have good/bad opinions on? I just hate staring at that RH pod and wishing there was a tach there instead of some dumb gauges.

I've got a hood tach and like it. I also had tach in 1970 Mach I owned and was good with that also. Consideration on hood tach is they are expensive also. $300 thru Drake. Consideration with dash tach conversion is expense and if you have aftermarket steering wheel you have to consider size - could block gauge view. Before I had hood tach I just monted a a black one to steering column and it looks pretty good. Matter of fact still have it on car. Can't have too many tachs :)

Thats a good price. I just looked at CJ pony they are $400 there now. No way would I pay that.

Here is a picture of my car with tach. I know they are not everybodies cup of tea but I like the look.

mustang.jpg

Edited by PaleRider

I was watching one sell this week & it went for $700. Wonder what the ebay fees were...

Tell me about it!! That would be about 12% or $84. Then another 12% for the shipping charge. Maybe $4. Then paypal fees - Maybe $22. So thats $110 for ebay/paypal fees. No wonder the parts prices are high.

That's the type of hood tach that was used on GM cars ... GTO / Firebird and probably others. Personally, I like this "lower profile" style better than the taller more rounded and "correct" Ford accessory one. Guess I did not know that Mopar used this GM style too.

I actually had an O.E. '69-70 GTO hood tach that I found in a junk yard back in the 80's and it almost went on my '69. However, I'm 99% sure it either said "Pontiac" or "GTO" on the face and a friend of mine with a GTO ended up buying it from me instead ... I was not all that keen of drilling holes in my hood anyway.

In the later 80's I found a complete factory Tach Cluster & underdash wiring harness at a swap meet (IIRC cost was around $200 back then) and that is what is in my car to this day.

Doug

The last two unrestored tach panels I saw on eBay went for over $500ea.

The one that actually went for I think it was $545 or something like that I saw on eBay had the wrong speedometer in it. It had the non-tach speedometer on it. Almost bought it but noticed that and I decided not to get it. The tach dash speedometers have an extra trip on the top of it.