Sign in to follow this  
rawlinss

Trying to start up my 302 motor

We currently have the 302 motor set up as 15426378.

So with the

GT40P heads

600 holley

Wyan intake (SP)??

and after market cam

WHAT FIRING ORDER SHOULD I USE????

THANKS!!

Edited by rawlinss

Fire up the carb can also be caused by the distributor being 180 degrees off.

Also, 302HO engines uses 351W fireing order. All other 302s don't.

Simply turn the engine, and see if cyl 5 or 3 opens next after cyl 1. If it's 5 then use 302 fire order (1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8). If it's 3, then use 351 fire order (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8).

Comp Cams PN 31-215-2

You should use a 289/302 firing order for that one. Pull number 1 plug, turn engine over until you feel the puff of air, then put the timing mark at 10 degrees BTDC. Drop your distributor down with the rotor pointed at number 1. Then put your spark plug back in and reattach the plug wire. Turn the key to the on position, but don't crank it. Then hook up your timing light. Slowly turn the distributor back and forth until you get a flash from the timing light. Tighten down the dizzy there. Now, try to start it.

Edited by jholmes217

Fresh rebuild and engine has not started yet. FYI also have a pertronix ignigter set up in old Distributor. Did away with points and condencer.

Waiting on a little more input to make next move.

Thanks.

Edited by rawlinss

I was hoping it was as easy as the wrong firing order. Are you absolutely sure you have the wires on the dizzy cap set correctly? I had mine off by one to the left and it threw everything off. Is your #1 wire connected to the spot where your rotor is pointing at the #1 cylinder at TDC? With #1 cylinder at TDC the rotor should be pointing at the #1 cylinder. The #1 plug wire should be on top of the rotor at that point. Then follow your firing order around. You didn't connect the wires on the dizzy going the opposite direction by chance?