Sign in to follow this  
signal20gsxr

Left turn signal issues

Hey guys, I recently started having some issues with my turn signals. Here is whats happening. When I hit the left turn signal with the headlights on or off the light that illuminates the ignition switch flashes with the turn signal indicator. When the running lights are on the left turn signal will not flash at all, it just stays solid. The hazard lights as well as the right turn signal work fine. All the bulbs are working as well. The headlight switch was replaced a couple of years ago. The turn signal switch was replaced about 9 years ago. I am thinking that its the turn signal switch but really have no idea. Any other idea what it could be?

Thanks.

I am sure some people are tired of this answer, but in electrical problems start with the simple stuff. Iwould suggest cleaning the fuse box contacts for the turn signals. In fact, it would not hurt to clean all the fuse box contacts. I had a devil of a time with my turn signals and hazard lights. One of the things mine did was glow steady when the running lights came on. When I cleaned the contacts, my problems were solved. Good luck.

I cleaned the fuse box, and check the firewall connection. Also I replaced the turn signal switch and cleaned and checked the headlight switch/connector. Still can't get it figured out.

It really seems as though something is back feeding but I can't figure out why its only when the parking lights are on and not the head lights. The only extra light that gets power when the parking lights are on is the light for the ignition switch which I don't even know why that comes on with the parking lights or if its supposed to.

I also thought that it might be a problem with the printed circuit board or the connection there.

Turn signals and hazards work fine with the headlight switch unplugged.

ill take a guess....light switch half way out = ign + markers+ blinker(no blinking).

light switch all the way out = ign + blinker lights out.

the only lights that run thru the light sw and the turn signal sw are the brakes(brake light turns off with blinker on)

next easiest troubleshoot = replace light switch

No, don't replace the light switch. Your problem is with your front turn signal light. The front parking lights turn on with the headlight switch in the PARK position, but they turn OFF when the headlights are on. The are on the same time the ignition switch light is on and off when it is off.

I will bet you a beer that if you disconnect the whole front light from the left side and right side, then temporarily swap the one on the right to be on the left, the problem goes away.

before you swap them, though, check all the connections, bulb, anc ground of that front left light.

If I am wrong, I will email you a beer!

I did pull the bulb out of the left front turn signal assemble and it looked good. I think your right about switching them. I think they ground through the housing assemble with is probably rusted up. I will check it in the next couple of days and see if that is what it causing it.

Thanks.

Unfortunately its the least of my worries right now. I changed the oil on it and noticed that there was metal on the magnet on my drain plug. Plus the motor has a vibration at RPM that has slowly been getting worse.

I cut the oil filter apart and the filter has a few metal particles in every pleat and they all stick to my magnet.. :( I pulled the rocker arms off yesterday while I had it idling. Intake push rod for #3 cylinder is not rotating. I think I have a lobe and or lifter going bad. Looks like its time to convert over to a hydraulic roller.

Double check the grounds, as you are correct the front turn signals are grounded through the housing to the bumper. There is a long ground path considering it goes through the bumper, through the bumper arm brackets (stacked two thick at frame rail), and into the frame. I'd run a separate ground wire from the turn signal to the frame and see if that eliminates the issue.