Sign in to follow this  
dkm004

Car runs great, but wont turn off!

Hey fellas.

So, when I turn the key to shut the ignition off nothing happens. The key turns just fine, however the engine continues to run, I have to disconnect the battery to shut her off. Any ideas?

Cheers...

Wow Rick- that is an interesting find and fix about that little pin that was preventing the car from shutting off. What is it's function? Was it providing sound ground path or something?

Jay

It is part of the ignition on a 70. As you turn the key on it ingages the ignition switch. When the pin came out the key turned off but the ignition was still on. I got lucky when i found this problem. The ignition is totally different on a 69. I hope this explained it.

Rick

Interesting. Sounds like a mechanical linkage that has to push and pull on a shaft or rod or something. Maybe "push to run" and "pull to off". If you get it in run, and the pin came out, then can't "pull" the ignition off. something like that.... 69's had ignition on the dash so wouldn't be anything like that. Must be a first design feature for this first "ignition on the tree" for mustangs. interesting.