Sign in to follow this  
crstang

Losing interest in resto!!

After thoroughly looking over and under my 69 Fastback and seeing all the rust issues, firewall, passenger front fender housing, floor pans, inside rear fender wells, and trunk drop-offs. When you have to flip up the dimmer switch with your foot, and can see the front tire , there are alot of issues!! :shit: Car has no serious mechanical issues, and the 302 2v runs awsome and the drive train as well. I'm seriously considering letting this pony go. I can afford to fix her up, but my mechanical expertise is of little, except for sanding, and a little body work/painting on a bowtie several years ago. My work schedule sucks, and am too worn out when off to find any ambition to do much on her. Having recently purchased a 2011 Challenger RT, I seem to be devoted to that cruiser, and have moved the pony out of it's stall in favor of the Challenger. I have however found a 70 Mach 1 for sale, but his price is a bit high, at 30,000. Looks great, but not show quality for that price, other than her paint. Some of her lines look out of whack, which is nothing new for any Mustang back then. 351 , and all that goes with a 70's model. Anyone have an idea what I should offer him for it?

Edited by crstang

Nice looking cars. I see decent looking 70 Mach 1's in or around the $22-$25k range. Car does look good in the pic. For $30k I'd expect it to look good inside, outside and under neath unless it has some unique collectable notoriety. What all does it have to substantiate the price?

I agree, 30k is a little high for that Mach 1 in todays economy. Mid 20k or slightly less is more reasonable for that car. Unless, it is a concourse restoration or a low milage survivor. In todays market the seller usually cannot get out what they have invested.

Restoration involving the work your project requires is not for the faint of heart, or wallet for that matter. You really have to want it. Sounds to me like your heart isn't in it completely. The good thing is that you came to this conclusion before tearing the car into a million pieces, killing it's value.

I know what you mean on losing interest. My build hit $25k in parts and its still a basket case. I dont want to spend any more money. I could go out and buy a pretty nice car thats done for that. 2.5 years in and I find myself considering my options.

I'm normally not a fan of red but that color really looks good. Got any more pics?

I felt like that more times than I could count over the years and through the course of two restorations on the same car I wanted to quit a bunch of times..... but then I'd walk out into the garage and the light would be reflecting just right off the beautiful body lines, the sheer muscular attitude would be shouting out I'm going 100mph just sitting still, and the chrome would be glistening like nothing made today and after I'd hop in, pump the gas pedal once, turn the key, hear the beast rumble back to life, I'd fall in love all over again. (or at least until the next part broke...)

Never met anyone who has been afflicted with muscle car fever (like most of us on this site) who ever said "boy I'm really glad I sold my old hot rod" years ago; but nearly every one will tell you about how much they regret having sold one at one time or another.

My recommendation is really think it over before letting her go

Sounds like your '69 fastback would indeed require a whole lot of work and replacement panels. I can certainly understand your position. As long as don't you price that Mustang too high, dollars to doughnuts you can sell it quite easily.

As for the Mach 1, I'd say $30,000 would be OK ONLY if the car is an original "M" code (351C 4V), and came from the factory with a 4-speed, traction-lock rear diff, power steering and power disc brakes. And even then, it's just barey worth $30,000; that's the absolute top price for a small block Mach 1 these days.

Don't be afraid to point out it's not a shaker car, the rocker panels aren't painted correctly and the stripes should not have clear coat over them. Sure, lot of people like clear coat over the stripes. But since it's not like the original paint, it lowers the value.

That's my take, anyway.

Edited by Klutch

:thumbup1:I have owned my car for almost 40 years, and this year was my first major push to get it done. I do what I can, and what I can't, I have to let someone else do the work that has all the tools, hoist and such. I call it a labor of love, and mine is probably in the same shape as yours crstang, but I keep going on it. I guess when I bought it, I had just turned 21, and all the work I will put into it, the car will be handed over to my son when I die. Hopefully it will never leave the family. Don't get me wrong, it does take time to get it restored, but when you do, it is an accomplishment that is well deserved. I love working on cars and motorcycles. I have another car I am restoring, but that will take a little longer, as parts are really drying up for this 74 Javelin, AMX. I also have a chopper in the garage that I am redoing, and I just have to go back between those and the 87 Mustang that needs a front and rear valance work done. I wish I had a Challenger, but my ultimate goal is a 1970 AAR Cuda. That is a dream, but you never know. If you love your car, keep at the resto work, because down the road, someday you will wish you hadn't got rid of it. I have been down that road before also. A little here, a little there, and you will see improvement, I guarantee it.

Never met anyone who has been afflicted with muscle car fever (like most of us on this site) who ever said "boy I'm really glad I sold my old hot rod" years ago; but nearly every one will tell you about how much they regret having sold one at one time or another.

My recommendation is really think it over before letting her go

I think this about sums it up for me. A good buddy of mine warned me: "Hey man, we'll never get back the money we put in these old cars... We don't do this to get back the money..."

That's why I like this site!! Lots of support!! I could simply sand her down and give her a moderate to decent paint job and no one would know the difference, and with a few exterior improvements like trim and weatherstripping, she could still turn heads. Already runs and sounds good!! She won't see car shows for some time, but I'm ok with that. She's still mine and isn't going anywhere. I live in Nevada and she won't rust much more.

Thanks to all, I'm keeping her!!

I just went out and looked at my baby, sitting in the garage, and a smile came across my face. I think I will take a fender off today. I really don't need to, but I like to see how to do it, then put it back on. I know, I am car nuts.

I think I will take a fender off today. I really don't need to, but I like to see how to do it, then put it back on. I know, I am car nuts.

Careful. That's how some serious resto's begin.... :-)

Good idea to toss the project in favour of one already done, especially if there is no real family attachement to it. There is nothing worse than talking to friends about how good your car will be when it is finished. I would rather rock on up in a car that is finished and show them how great it is. If you are concerned that this 70 mach is a little expensive then you probably are just not that into it. Maybe you should just bide your time until the right car comes along.

Yep, I think we have all been at that point doing garage restorations, 2 1/2 years later and about $18,000 and I have only driven this car for 10 miles since I bought it. But I still kick myself 20 years later for selling my first 69 stang!!!! So this one is not going anywhere no matter how mad I get sometimes!