Sign in to follow this  
ksquared

How to restore wood grain instrument bezel

Any ideas? The wood grain is looking shabby. The restoration shop I'm working with does not have a line on restoring it. They have suggested a plain black bezel which is available from Scott Drake. Problem is all the rest of my interior is wood grain. The original looks almost like contact paper or plastic. Anyone been there/done that?

can you post a picture of what you are talking about?

mine appears to really be wood. i had several areas that were really scratched up (like right above the key). There were also two spots where someone drilled thru it so i had to patch those spots, sands, paint, etc.

i simply used sandpaper and rubbing compound just like a person would do to a cars paint. you could put a lot of gloss in it if you wanted.

I think Tachman is one of a few (if not the only one) that restores these but its not cheap. Both my panels were in good shape but were very dull and I wanted to bring them back to life.

I used a clear gloss on them and really made them pop. The wood now has depth and the clear brought out colors you really didn't see when the panel was flat. Maybe it's too much for the purists but I like it.

If you are in the same position I would bet once you make any repairs you would get good results using a clear matte finish.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=11015&highlight=woodgrain+gloss

i wouldn't consider it a decal. it's much different than what was applied to the radio insert, console insert and door panel inserts. i've never seen this "decal" reproduced.

for those saying it's a decal, could you provide a part number, link? i believe the OP is talking about the woodgrain that goes in the instrument bezel or passenger side bezel.

Any ideas? The wood grain is looking shabby. The restoration shop I'm working with does not have a line on restoring it. They have suggested a plain black bezel which is available from Scott Drake. Problem is all the rest of my interior is wood grain. The original looks almost like contact paper or plastic. Anyone been there/done that?

I just bought a used wood grain panel that was in good shape.

If you need to restore the plastic gauge cluster panel, there are a few options, as others have mentioned.

a) aftermarket reproduction

b) send it out to be replated/restored

c) DIY amateur resto.

I did mine myself, but I don't show my car, I just drive it. I think it turned out pretty good, but it isn't concours correct.

dash-finished-resized.jpg

You're going to have to buy a good used one. The applique is definitely not a vinyl decal like is used on all the flat surfaces, and I don't think anyone will repro it since it would be near impossible to install and look decent. My guess is the Tachman swaps a bad one out with a good used one also.

The woodgrain panel definitely does not have any wood to it. I have a few that have shrunk with age, exposing the backside.

hmm. i wonder what it's made of then? i used 180 grit and stepped up to 1500 grit before doing some light buffing.

There is a place here I'n Australia that does them. DIP Productions can refinish them with original or any finish for that matter allowing matching to already faded other panels. Or try a good used set i have a few also depending on which colour you need you need. Message me if you want contact details for DIP.

I am sure I I spoke with Ray Azcue or his brother at a show a couple of years ago & one of them were redoing the wood grain. I believe when they recovered it did not have the clear layer over the grain, the material was unavailable.

I think they run separate business. Here is rays Website, not sure how to contact his brother.:

http://qualitymustangs.tripod.com/

The last I heard, Ray has got some bad reviews. Do a search on him on VMF

Unfortunately, I was not warned about this guy Ray Azcue.

He stole my instrument bezel and would not return it.

He is a %$'ing crook!

Do not believe a word he says.

Now you guys have been warned!

Sorry to hear that.I met another Mustang restorer yesterday that had similar experience as you. Although he got his panels, there was no communication while the work was being done and the final bill was 2x what they had agreed on. I nearly sent him my panels when I first got my car. His prices put me off though. In the end doing my own took some time but was cheaper and I had peace of mind on the project.

Well, a local guy I found did a great job restoring my wood grain bezels. Click the link to see a before/after picture.

http://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/mustang/bezel/before_after1.jpg

He also did the right side. I don't have a before on it but here is the after:

http://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/mustang/bezel/after2.jpg

The right side picture was taken with a flash so the color looks different. They are actually identical in color.:thumbup1:

If interested, the shop that did the work is:

http://www.timsgarageaz.com

I'm a happy customer:smile: