Sign in to follow this  
redmach69

Electric power steering?

Anybody heard of, or used this American Powertrain electric power steering unit for 65-70 mustangs. I have no idea if such a thing would work or fit. Their video shows it at work in a Corvette but not anything about how it is installed. I know there are 71-73 style conversion kits available or you could buy original type one peice at a time, but by the time you account for headers and clutch linkage those options are complicated and expensive. Of course the electric unit is expensive if it would work. any thoughts?

the real issue is weight. Unisteer's system is currently good for cars up to 2900 lbs. Their website lists a new model for heavier cars. I called and talked to the tech guy for the electric steering and he thinks it might be ready by the end of summer. There are other companies out there that do this, especially here in europe.

http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/

I talked to a guy in the NL who has an ezpowersteering unit in his car and he says it works great. I will probably go with the unisteer unit that is sold by electrical power steering once they get the new unisteer unit for heavier cars because they sell a unit that you can adapt to your ididit column

The cheaper units are not worth considering if your really looking for performance feel, the real deal systems will set you back up to 7 grand. I had electric steering on my 2011 Mustang and on my BMW M3 and I hated both of them for the unatural feel, try a Borgeson set up or TCP Power system you cant go wrong. when my BMW steering broke it was in the shop for 4 weeks and the parts to repair were close to 3 grand, freak that thank goodness for new car warranty.

I'm looking into adding electric power steering to my 69 as well. My 2011 BMW 528I has electric power steering and I like it no matter what the magazines say.

The electric conversion kits on the market are getting better every day and for me you can't beat a system that fits under the dash, doesn't sap engine power, won't interfere with headers or anything else in the engine compartment and won't require me to add a power steering pump, hoses, rack/steering box to my already tight engine compartment. Best of all is some of these kits are engineered to work with the Ididit steering columns.

From everything I've heard from the companies doing these kits, they are adjustable and for people like me who already have a nice Flaming River manual steering box, you can dial in electric assist for low/parking lot speeds and still enjoy all the feel of the road that a good manual steering box provides.

I recently installed electric power steering in a 1966 Mustang. I did not use a kit, I simply pulled a column style EPS from a newer GM vehicle and then spliced the unit into the original steering column.

The results far exceeded my expectations and the cost was less than $200. I designed a controller that automatically adjusts assist level based on vehicle speed, so that the steering feel is "just right" regardless of speed.

I documented (with pictures) how I went about this on a Vintage Mustang forum. If anyone is interested do a google search for "Best $200 mod ever (EPS)"

or

follow this link to page 7 where the details start: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/787114-best-200-mod-ever-eps-7.html#post6037649

Any questions just ask.

Complete-slr.jpg

I was looking at one of the electric kits at a booth at CTC this year...really like the way it felt, plus I could remove and get rid of my power steering pump, along with all the other power steering crap.

I may attempt this build like Slow-poke did.

My new AAW wiring harness has extra power outputs for just such nice little add ons

Anybody heard of, or used this American Powertrain electric power steering unit for 65-70 mustangs. I have no idea if such a thing would work or fit. Their video shows it at work in a Corvette but not anything about how it is installed. I know there are 71-73 style conversion kits available or you could buy original type one peice at a time, but by the time you account for headers and clutch linkage those options are complicated and expensive. Of course the electric unit is expensive if it would work. any thoughts?

There is a less expensive option, if your mechanically inclined, cost me less than $200, all the details on the how to are here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/787114-best-200-mod-ever-eps-7.html#post6037649.

Looks like this:Complete-slr.jpg

HEy SLo Poke how much did it cost ya to put the computer for sensitivity control together.

Us mechanical inclined folks may be able to do the conversion easy enough but I suck at electronics.

I barley got my American Auto Wire harness in lol

Has he published any of the information on the controller?

Got a link?

I have so much crap crammed under my dash now i dont know if there is going to be room for an electric motor but I'm darn sure going to try it.

So anyone have a stock 69 Column they wanna part with Cheap?

Seems I will need a manual steering adapter to go from my PS drag link to a manual type :( Oh well at least I can make some cash off my rebuilt power steering control valve and other goodies LOL...