Sign in to follow this  
wfridolfson

hard starting 351c

Is it cranking when it is hot or will it crank but not start?

If it has a hard time cranking over when hot and you timing is only 14degrees then it will 95% likely be a bad earth/cable. So make sure all you starter/earth cables are in good condition and grounded properly.

Edited by Lemon Owner

There is a small chance the starter getting hot but I can almost guarantee it will be cable issues. Another member here had the same problem and it was his cables. I have the same problem and it was my cables. I have had this problem before on other vehicles and again it was cables. Make sure all the battery leads are tight and where they ground to the engine and sarter etc. is clean and tight. Backing off the timing will help a little but it just hides the real problem.

Edited by Lemon Owner

My last Clevo did this after installing a new aftermarket starter. I built a heat shield for it as the solenoid sat up top close to the block and headers. Never did it again after I installed the shield.

Had a similar cleveland problem, especially when the engine was fresh, 2 years ago I swapped over to a gear reduction starter, problem eleminated. This unit spins the engine like the plugs were out, and shopping around found a very reasonable priced starter.

yep - have to agree with the others - check you starter and your gound cable to the block. Ground cable should be the 1st cable (if more than one on the nut) against the block and make sure it's tight and free of rust/debris. For some reason mine would not start when hot until I moved the ground to the "inside" and tightened it up. A mini-starter is almost a requirement with headers. The old full sized starters are too close to most headers and the can't take the heat. Back in the day, I'd swap a Ford OEM starter out of my first Mach 1 about every 6 months. It would get so bad the bendix would spin free and smack the teeth of the flywheel Live and learn....

BTW: On a stock 351C 14* initial isn't bad. Mine is 18* initial and 34* all in by 2600rpm.

I have a cleveland that does the same thing, so like everyone said I changed it out for a high torque starter. Still won't f$%ken start properly! Check the cables first, alot cheaper.

Oh yea, I fixed my mach1 hot starting issue, I tightened the negative battery terminal properly. :001_tongue:

i checked all gounds, cleaned and tightened back up, even put another on engine to frame, helped a little bit but overall still have problem, i'm going heat shield first and if problem is still there will try mini starter, thanks all for you help

I just had the same issue with hard start.

Upgraded all of the main wires to a 2 gauge from 4 gauge, and made sure all of the grounds had good connection and even added a couple of extra to the frame and firewall for good measure. Using a stock OEM replacement style starter with headers, on a 445 stroker, no issues with hot start.