Sign in to follow this  
rmarks

Help on Car Backfiring or Shutting Down While Driving

Need assistance troubleshooting why my car now is bogging down as if shutting down, then backfires and accelerates again, or rather than backfiring it completely shuts down.

It's a 351W 4V with a 4speed.

Was thinking it was timing so I backed it down closer to what the book calls for, but same thing.

Thoughts, ideas?

Edited by rmarks

+1, start with the fuel filter, could be badly clogged. If not check the fuel pump next and the lines inbetween.

Changed the fuel pump, filter and lines in engine compartment and still have the problem. Any other suggestions?

I had this same problem with my old 351W. Turns out one of the cam lobes were worn down real bad as well as the lifter. It would start up run fine for about 5 minutes it would then backfire then shutdown. Not saying its the same as your situation but if at wits end and have checked everything else that would be worth while.

If you have push on connectors on your ignition coil, I'd check them first, and after that look at your rotor, coil wiring harness and finally ignition switch assembly. Definitely sounds like ignition problems to me now that you've ruled out the obvious possible fuel issues like fuel pump, filter, and stuck float.

Sticking weights in the distributor? Have you oiled the felt lately? Mines been doing this kind of thing- still haven't figured it out- but I removed the dist- disassembled, oiled and free'ed the base plate- it fixed it for a couple hundred miles, then returned; though less so. I am running the orig distr/weights. So I think mine is just dirty, old and or sticking. YMMV- but might be worth checking.