Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

Door skin replacement question?

For anyone who has replaced the door skin on a mustang what would be the best way to fold over the edge of the door skin on the shell across the bottom of the skin to get it to be flat against the shell body without damaging the outer skin surface so I can weld it?. I tried hammering it flat but that only works along the sides, not along the bottom due to the angle of the skin to the bottom of the door shell. Any help would be appreciated as I am ready to weld it & re hang the door.

For anyone who has replaced the door skin on a mustang what would be the best way to fold over the edge of the door skin on the shell across the bottom of the skin to get it to be flat against the shell body without damaging the outer skin surface so I can weld it?. I tried hammering it flat but that only works along the sides, not along the bottom due to the angle of the skin to the bottom of the door shell. Any help would be appreciated as I am ready to weld it & re hang the door.

I believe I hammered the bottom of my new door skins flush to the shell.

they make special curved hammers to do that. Also, you could possibly swing by a body shop and see if they have a door skin tool that they would run across the bottom for a box of donuts or something. It will look better than being all hammered up.

I helped the body man install my door skin. He used a hammer with dolly on the outside of the skin. He did this in small increments, working around the skin, going around maybe 1/2 dozen times. He did hammer the corners slightly faster than the rest so as to "lock" the skin in place. When completed you should mount the door to the car as the door shell may deform slightly and need slight tweaking to line up perfectly with the qtr panel and fender.

Breathing new life into this older thread! I'm in the process of replacing the door skins on my doors and I found this tool that may help out quite a bit. Check this out:

Anyone use this tool yet? Haven't heard it mentioned in any other post.

Hitting this subject hard right now..... Looking for the best skins available. Looking for crisp lines and straight edges. I don't want to have to weld rods to the door edges to fix gaps either. So cast your vote for the best panels and experiences. ***until I'm satisfied with parts, you may see me asking about this in another post! ;)

Dave

I used a similar tool when I did my skin last week, this one is better. The tool I used was poorly designed so the "stamper" part of the tool, the part doing the work, was too close to the body of the tool so when I did the bottom of the door the body of the tool hit the shell of the door and tweaked the edge of the skin. I don't think a tool like this is required but it does make the job easier and look more professionally finished.

As far as which skin to buy, I bought dynacorn. It fit the shell well. I haven't mounted the door yet so I can't speak about gaps, it did line up perfectly to the body lines on the shell.

Breathing new life into this older thread! I'm in the process of replacing the door skins on my doors and I found this tool that may help out quite a bit. Check this out:

Anyone use this tool yet? Haven't heard it mentioned in any other post.

Hitting this subject hard right now..... Looking for the best skins available. Looking for crisp lines and straight edges. I don't want to have to weld rods to the door edges to fix gaps either. So cast your vote for the best panels and experiences. ***until I'm satisfied with parts, you may see me asking about this in another post! ;)

Dave

I reskinned both of my doors last december. I bought a 19.99 door skinning kit from harbor freight. It has the curved hammer needed for the bottom. without it, I think you would be in a world of hurt. I was too gun shy to use a metal dolly on the outside. I picked up a hard rubber mallet. I figure the mallet cost me 3 or 4 more passes to get the lip tight to the frame, but there was no bends or dents or scratches on the outside of the skin. If you were an experienced body man(I am not) you could get by with the metal dolly.