Sign in to follow this  
chillininnh

strange bellhousing noise with pics, what do you see?

I've been trying to figure out the strange noise emanating from my bellhousing. I stuffed my cell phone up there and snapped some pics. It looks like I'm getting a leak at the transmission shaft, the area below the shaft is darker than the rest. When the cable is adjusted for smooth shifting, the throw out bearing rides on the fingers. In this position the fork has a vibration. When the cable is removed and the throw out bearing is not riding on the fingers it's steady. I got a feeling the bearing behind the seal that's leaking is making the noise.

2012-04-13_17-53-32_369.jpg

2012-04-13_17-52-01_924.jpg

2012-04-13_17-22-27_199.jpg

2012-04-13_17-23-22_131.jpg

2012-04-13_17-21-27_858.jpg

nice action photo. never thought i would see that...

when i've heard ball bearings go out it makes a strange irratic sound. hard to describe.

by chance did you check the runout of the bell (stock or aftermarket)?

sorry, i can't be of any real help.

Having the car running on the lift while you're under it inspecting things is a strange feeling lol. I did check the runout and it was well within spec. If you didn't listen to the vid, click this:

th_2012-04-09_17-47-31_700.jpg

It sounds like a bearing on it's last legs to me.....

Edited by chillininnh

Can't help on the noise but DAMN....... Were you nervous sticking your hand up near the flywheel while it was running?

I would never stick my hand in there lol. Taken with my cell phone on either side of the clutch fork.

Edited by chillininnh

Man, that's a ballsy second pic dude!!!! Don't let your insurance carrier see that one, they'll double your rates or drop you altogether.

One thing just doesn't seem right. Have you tried adjusting the pivot ball stud outward? That would bring the clutch lever a little more parallel with the flywheel/pressure plate. Right now it looks like it has too much of an angle in relation to the pressure plate.

The other thing is the throw out bearing seems like it is riding too far out on the end of the bearing support. Admittedly it's been awhile since I have a clutch apart, but if my memory serves me right the throw bearing usually rides closure to the transmission. I know it has to be close to the pressure plate, but the whole thing just looks a little out of proportion. Bruce

I have very little idea about these type of T/O bearings. But the 2 little fingers on the T/O bearing retainer do not seem to be gripping the clutch fork at all. It is like the bearing itself is on the wrong side of the set up. Does the T/O bearing move around by 1/2 inch on the clutch fork?

My theory is that when there is slack between the clutch fingers and the T/O bearing it is flapping back and forth in it's carrier. When you adjust the slack out of the cable it pushes it against the clutch fingers and carrier therefore preventing the movement.

Edited by Lemon Owner

Does it make the noise with clutch in or out?Mine made a similar noise with clutch not activated.Turned my Input bearing was missing 4 ball bearings.It sounded normal with the clutch depressed.This is what it looked like[ATTACH]11077[/ATTACH]

The noise occurs with the clutch out, when you push in the clutch it seems to go away. That is precisely the bearing I'm afraid has failed. Waiting for my next day off to remove tranny and investigate.

Edited by chillininnh

Small consolation but the toploaders are quite simple to rebuild.I purchased a rebuild kit from Mark @ toploader heaven.He was a great asset not only did the kit provide all basic parts that should be replaced during a rebuild including the input bearing ,output bearing shifter rod seals ect,the kit also included some simple but specific tools needed and a excellant cd decribing in detail with pictures the rebuild process.

As well I purchased one of his custom toploader shifters

Well I finally had some time today to drop the trans. Sure enough, the throw out bearing is junk. There is no identifying marks on it (manufacturer or part#) so I'm guessing it's a chinese piece of crap. I called Bruce @ Modern Driveline and he recommended a BCA# 614014. I also bought a new clutch fork as the spring that clamps onto the pivot ball was a bit deformed. Hopefully I can reassemble it this weekend and get back on the road.