Sign in to follow this  
l.duckworth14

Rusted out floor panels

So believe it or not the floor panels all around are pretty much showing daylight, convenient for a Flintstones style e-brake but not much else. Should i cut out the whole sections and buy the replacement sections and weld them in or try treating it with the rust converter and going over the top with new sheet metal or something?

Cut out the old. Leaving them in and covering them with good metal is a very bad idea. It allows moisture and dirt to get trapped between, causing the process to continue with your new metal.

If the transmission hump is good, just cut out each side and weld in the new floor pans (best to do it one at a time).

M/C

Absolutely cut out all of the rust. Go until you are at good metal so you have something solid to weld onto. Then cut your new floors to fit the hole, weld it in, grind it smooth, seal it and paint it. A lot easier said then done. I'm at the "cut the hole" stage on my car (waiting for parts). Post some pics of the damage. The guys here are great. They will be able to tell you the right parts to order and the best way to do it.

So believe it or not the floor panels all around are pretty much showing daylight, convenient for a Flintstones style e-brake but not much else. Should i cut out the whole sections and buy the replacement sections and weld them in or try treating it with the rust converter and going over the top with new sheet metal or something?

I know the feeling

rustedfloor.jpg

I went all the way with a new one piece floor based on my grandfather's adage that a job worth doing is a job worth doing right.

New1piecefloor.jpg

the finished pic

rearwindowinteriorshot.jpg

Edited by BigDuke6

I know the feeling

rustedfloor.jpg

I went all the way with a new one piece floor based on my grandfather's adage that a job worth doing is a job worth doing right.

New1piecefloor.jpg

the finished pic

rearwindowinteriorshot.jpg

Sorry for hi jacking thread, floor looks great BTW. My floors look like crap, I was considering the full floor instead of the partials. I know it cost more, but the time and work it would save may be worth it for me. Will the one piece floor fit through the window openings or did you install through the windshield opening? Do you recall if you had much of a gap at the wheelhouse?

Thanks and sorry for hi jacking

i like the idea of throwing in a whole new floor like that. Ive heard to only do one at a time though for structural reasons how did you go around that or am i misinformed? And did you just cut out the damage and lay it over top or cut out the whole floor and weld that in?

Jack stands or blocks with even loading really help. These are a great help as well "assuming" nothing is already out of wack. A good indicator is to check out the door lines... After you jack and brace check these again and adjust. As you cut stuff out keep checking. Of course these brace systems mount where the doors attach or latch. On old hot rods we would weld bracing on before chopping the roof to keep the door openings from closing.

Will the one piece floor fit through the window openings or did you install through the windshield opening?

I don't know if it will fit through the windows but I have my doubts. We went through windshield. I also replaced one of the wheel houses. There were some gaps but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

i like the idea of throwing in a whole new floor like that. Ive heard to only do one at a time though for structural reasons how did you go around that or am i misinformed? And did you just cut out the damage and lay it over top or cut out the whole floor and weld that in?

I put my new floor in after an accident. What saved my car from being ripped in half were my Global West subframe connectors and jacking rails. These also kept the car from folding in half during the rebuild. You can see them here. The grey on the bottom is the cement floor. I would give serious consideration to putting subframes in first and then the floor.

nofloor.jpg

Ok well around the tranny and between all the seats is still pretty good and im not as good with welding and framework as i would like so would you recommend just doing the floors rather than undertaking the whole job? Or should i suck it up and pay someone to do the whole floor?

Ok well around the tranny and between all the seats is still pretty good and im not as good with welding and framework as i would like so would you recommend just doing the floors rather than undertaking the whole job? Or should i suck it up and pay someone to do the whole floor?

get some estimates and then decide. Whatever you consider your skill set to be, remember that the the Titanic was built by experts while amateurs built the Ark.

Edited by BigDuke6