Sign in to follow this  
Jimjific

This is for all of you low profile guys

I agree, I just saw an opportunity to poke at the low profile guys.

By the way, Pak, were you able to see my images on my last post of my upholstery thread? I can see them but some guys said they couldn't I did this thread the same way and you all seem to be able to see the image, ugly as it is.

Jim

No, I saw a bunch of red X's also. Sometimes though if you post too many images directly from a place like photobucket you will get that, too much bandwidth or something, not sure what really casues that. If you either upload them to the post directly or open a free gallery here and link to the pictures you shouldn't have any issues.

Har har har :)

Form follows function, and those wheels/tires are utterly useless. For corner carving, 17x9s are more functional than 15x8s, there's just no way around it. Especially when the aluminum 17" weighs several pounds less than the steel 15".

Magnum 500s do look cool on old muscle cars, but it's just nostalgic bling.

I can't speak for oval track, as I could care less about going round and round. LOL

But, low profile tires are used a lot in open track cars. I work part time at Maximum Motorsports, and our American Iron series road race car runs 17" wheels and tires.

j5feih.jpg

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the weight of a pro built race car (like F1). They don't really need to worry as much about tire sidewall flex as a car in normal street trim. Throwing a 3,000+ pound car around a race track puts a lot more weight on the side wall than a light weight race car in the same corners. Race cars also use SUPER aggressive tread compounds, making the most of traction.

Look at photos of vintage Trans Am series cars, and tell me they wouldn't have benefitted from modern tire technology. Those tires flexed like crazy in corners! LOL

Edited by Powershift

I don't know if they do it anymore since I pretty much stopped watching NASCAR, but remember the cool suspension cameras they used to have on the fronts when they ran at Martinsville. It was awesome to see how the tire would look like it was going to come off the bead when they went into the corners. The brakes were also amazing to see them go through their heat cycle until they would glow.

Jim

Form follows function, that is a tough religion to live by. I guess that's why I removed that rear spoiler. But, I do love that fake Mach1 hood scoop.

Jim

Why do you think the rear spoiler serves no function? The hood scoop can easily be made functional as well, mine is.

I personally like all profiles if done properly. Try hookin up with low prows, or cornering with pizza cutters. Build to YOUR preference!

As part of the over 50 club, I sometimes like to razz my peers when they wax nostalgic. When I was a young man, bantering with the other young men was normal and accepted. Nowadays (especially on the internet) it's not politically correct. I don't take myself that seriously and I hope no one here does either. Watch Torino and see how Clint talks to his peers. That really was the accepted norm!

It's definitely a balancing act with tire profiles, but they make low profile drag radials too. I haven't tried them myself but some of the published times are remarkable for a p275 17 pushing a 3000 lb car. Do a google search on drag radials and see what folks are running.

I think 18s would look too big on our cars and most of them are too heavy anyway. However, there are tire sizes available in 18 that I have trouble finding in 17s, like 285s and 295s, although there are a few out there. Now if money grew on trees, I'd get CF front fenders and custom rear flairs like the one in the project thread and stuff 315s up front and 335s out back. But every time I plant a seed the sheriff says kill it before it grows.

As part of the over 50 club, I sometimes like to razz my peers when they wax nostalgic. When I was a young man, bantering with the other young men was normal and accepted. Nowadays (especially on the internet) it's not politically correct. I don't take myself that seriously and I hope no one here does either. Watch Torino and see how Clint talks to his peers. That really was the accepted norm!

It's definitely a balancing act with tire profiles, but they make low profile drag radials too. I haven't tried them myself but some of the published times are remarkable for a p275 17 pushing a 3000 lb car. Do a google search on drag radials and see what folks are running.

I think 18s would look too big on our cars and most of them are too heavy anyway. However, there are tire sizes available in 18 that I have trouble finding in 17s, like 285s and 295s, although there are a few out there. Now if money grew on trees, I'd get CF front fenders and custom rear flairs like the one in the project thread and stuff 315s up front and 335s out back. But every time I plant a seed the sheriff says kill it before it grows.

Bantering is one of my favorite pastimes! I guess I should try and learn the relationships you all have before I try to be captain defend-a-bro. FNGs! I've seen 15s to 20s look good. Not a fan of the "donks". But if that's what your in to, Good luck with that. But please stay on the appropriate forums.

Bantering is one of my favorite pastimes! I guess I should try and learn the relationships you all have before I try to be captain defend-a-bro.

It takes some new folks a while before they catch on, and rightfully so considering what most forum experiences are like these days, but this is one of the few places where no bro needs defending, we are just about the happiest, friendliest, most helpful group of enthusiasts on the net. Being such a small specifc community there just isn't much to argue about or get offended by and to date I don't think we've had to ever warn or ban anyone except for the occasional spammer that doesn't contribute.

we are just about the happiest, friendliest, most helpful group of enthusiasts on the net. Being such a small specifc community there just isn't much to argue about or get offended by and to date I don't think we've had to ever warn or ban anyone except for the occasional spammer that doesn't contribute.

+1

By far the best forum I've ever been on. The old expression 'no question is a dumb question' actually applies here. The worst you'll get is that a member will recommend that you perform a search before asking.