Sign in to follow this  
relic1864

Radio antenna mast help

My radio antenna got broke on my 69 coupe. It is the origonal antenna. The mast has a little screw that lets the mast slide off the base. I just need this replacement mast only but can not find one. I have looked at replacement antennas and none are made like my origonal. Does anyone out there have the origonal radio antenna that maybe is not on the car or just a parts car that might just sell me the mast part of the antenna? If so email me at relic1864@aol.com Thanks Keith

Try calling a Ford dealer or check in a junk yard all the Ford's from the 70's & early 80's IIRC had the same screw in mast but with a different base for the specific car. Is it the one with the 4 screws that hold the base to the fender & the mast has a hex nut-like at the base of the mast where you could put an open ended wrench on it to remove the mast?.

I saw many antennas in the 60s & 70s, I had never seen an antenna like you are describing. Kids would break antenna off for fun and you would have to replace the entire antenna. The antennas of the day were one piece. Some of the replacement antennas of the day were as you described. Please post a picture so I can be sure what you have...I may have not seen the type you have.

JAG

Ok I found the antenna mast like what was on my car. The mast got broken and the base of the mast has a screw that you loosten and the rest of the broken antenna slides off. The car has the origonal antenna base held with 4 screws. The mast part sticks up about an inch and a half. The new mast slips over this part still on the car and a small screw tightenes up and holds the replacement antenna on. Looks perfect just like it was before it got broke. The antenna mast is from Dorman item number 720-044 in case anone needs one. Found it on Ebay.

Hmm, never seen one like that. The mast should unscrew from the base. This is what I've always seen on our cars:

%21B6E9%29%28w%21mk%7E$%28KGrHqV,%21h8EycePkQnhBMwG7Os3hw%7E%7E_12.JPG

$%28KGrHqN,%21lkE9LIsJ7lNBP%28l0RMsIw%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Commonly the masts from the late 70s and early 80's were transplanted onto our cars as replacements when they get damaged. Below is a mast from that era:

$%28KGrHqN,%21jcE9KPL%21smzBP%28lGKKYjg%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Buening, I agree with you. The pictures you show are the stock antennas. After reading Relics last post he is describing an original antenna that was snapped off. They made replacment antenna masts that went over the original base and had a set screw to hold the replacement antenna on the original base. These were cheaper tahn replacing the entire antenna.

JAG

Buening you have the pictures for the correct antennnas for our cars. Relic what you have is an original antenna that someone snapped the mast off. In the day you could go to any parts place and buy an aftermarket replacement mast. These masts slide over the stub that is left once the mast is breoken off the original mast. The set screw keeps the replacement mast on the original antenna stub. This was much easier and cheaper than buying an entirely new antenna as Buening has in his pictures.

JAG