Ash

Ash's 69 R-code

Another piece to the puzzle. Not many left now.

A big thanks go to my mate in California for helping me get this across the big pond to my side of the globe. I wasn't able to get a reply from the supplier. But after asking one of our friendly forum members if they didn't mind helping me out, a week and bit later it was on my door step.

A blueprinted oil pump by Precision Oil Pumps

20151117_195044_zpslnvs0qcq.jpg

http://stores.precisionoilpumps.com/blueprinted-melling-ford-fe-high-volume-1-4-pump/

Life seems to be settling a little. The house reno is all but done. I have to be honest though and say fishing has kept me a little sidetracked. Not only do I love it but my boy is absolutely mad on it. It's all he has talked about for years. And with him being 6 years old now and getting a new boat, he's a good age to help out where he can. And when you get to see him this proud of himself, it makes you pretty happy.

20160213_130402_zpsdwzagfuy.jpg

Plus I get to smile a fair bit too.

jewie_zpskh0gqrhh.jpg

20160213_105929_zpsbpnaiqju.jpg

Last week I got my new Edlebrock Performer RPM heads back from being looked over. New Isky valves were fitted after being the heads were disassembled, chambers deburred, valve seats done and thoroughly checked over. The chambers were cc'd and were meant to be 72cc according to Edelbrock but were all equally 70cc. They are now good bolt up, ready to and and suit my new cam.

20160318_150514_zps3ipfhipj.jpg

20160318_151230_zpsmgijqr9p.jpg

A little while back I spent some time getting my sand blaster up and working. My 15cfm compressor wasn't keeping up so I borrowed my Dad's 12cfm and added it into the line. With the 2 running its doing the job well. It's not the most fun of jobs though is it?

20160131_145355_zpstoh1cnxs.jpg

In preparation to getting the floor in, I started on blasting the mating components. Followed by brushing on some SPI epoxy. This was also a trial to see how far 150ml of mixed epoxy would go. As I can't buy it here in Aus, I don't want to waste a drop. I blasted the cross member and the insides and tops of the rails. I barely put a dent on the epoxy with 2 heavy coats.

20160202_133243_zpsqyfve5lb.jpg

20160202_194924_zpsvh9pv1jq.jpg

20160203_153226_zpsht9rzb0w.jpg

These are the inner convertible rockers I had folded up. I didn't want to waste the epoxy so I blasted them too and used the remainder of the epoxy on them. 150ml goes a long way when brushed.

20160203_153203_zpsb0eelc6e.jpg

20160203_164457_zps9zjbuymc.jpg

I've been working on a way to get a working speedo in the driveline as our local 6 speed transmission that Ford use have no allowance in them for any speedo output. They rely on the rear ABS pickups for this.

I've since got my hands on a TR-6060 from a car I wrecked that only had 69000km on the clock. The only physical signs of any difference externally was the way the shifter surface faced.

This is the T56

20160130_095429_zpszaqhx63z.jpg

and the TR-6060

20160130_095449_zpslz5g2t52.jpg

I pulled the rear extension housing off to see if there was a gear or rotor at all fitted to the output shaft for the speedo. There was not.

20160315_121032_zps9zwsnfaa.jpg

After a phone call to the local Tremec dealer, I was told the rotor from the Tremec Magnum would fit as there is the allocation for the locating bearing in the shaft on the machined face which you can see in the previous photo.

For $59 for the required parts, this was turning out to be a fantastic solution to adding a speedo pickup.

20160304_122818_zpsv2g5kqg8.jpg

I ordered a 24mm drill bit to drill the hole in the extension housing and used it to fit the magnetic pickup.

20160318_155536_zpsoh6vfnqa.jpg

After fitting the rotor to the output shaft though I quickly realised that the bearing in the extension housing was not going to slip past the now fitted rotor. You can see the inner race below the rotor here and the diameter difference.

20160315_162622_zpshnmkddod.jpg

Back on the phone and I found out that there were two different bearings used. It was a possibility I could have had either in my TR-6060. Once the new bearing arrived it was quite obvious the difference. The old to the left, new to the right

20160321_115034_zps0qoykclb.jpg

The outer races were identical width but the thickness of the two varied by 3mm which is an issue as the original is retained in the extension housing with a large circlip like this

20160315_162515_zps9ds3pxso.jpg

Old bearing

20160321_115123_zpspuogzmxw.jpg

new bearing race

20160321_115137_zpsipwykyw9.jpg

So the plan is with the shape of the race like this, to machine either 1.5mm from either side or 3mm off the back face of the race. Either way, the roller is 9mm and will have full contact on the face of the race.

20160321_115155_zpsjrcpxgxo.jpg

The new bearing uses the output shaft as the inner race and these collars either side of the roller to locate the bearing on the shaft

20160321_144034_zpsmkgmwzwv.jpg

20160321_144113_zpsoxzp5exo.jpg

I'm now waiting for the race to be machined by the local shop then I can fit it in.

I have one query I was hoping someone may be able to help out on, and that is does anyone know what the air gap should be between the magnetic pick up and rotor? I haven't machined the mounting face for the pickup as I did not know how deep it should sit into the extension housing. But this is something I will need to do.

Another distraction I punished myself with a little while ago after cruising ebay with a few beers in me.

2_zpsez1aw6ph.jpg

The long....long...long term plan, hehe, is to mount it on this

20160128_155734_zpstn5tjm4p.jpg

and use this for the power plant, suspension, brakes and steering. This came up a little while ago and it was irresistible to pass up. I've had in mind for a longtime to build an out of the norm, pro tourer type, of truck. Something very different. And I don't think using a 2004 RS6 twin turbo all wheel could get any different.

20160122_155736_zpsmgmcjqel.jpg

20160122_155802_zpshy2quvux.jpg

Holy crap Ash! For not posting on your thread in a while, ya sure made up for it. Hey, I don't think anybody here is going to blame you for letting your family get in the way of these silly cars. The look on your boy's face says it all, and lets you know you made a move you'll never regret.

Smart move on brushing the epoxy. Using a foam roller is another way to get a good application, finish and save paint. Is it possible to have a member outside of Aus to ship some spi epoxy to y'all?

That p/u cab looks to be in great shape. You plan on doing body and paint or leave it be? You should have plenty of pep with the A6 power. I had a 2006 A4 and it was quick and fast, but electronically limited to 138mph. The twin turbo V8 just might bring another smile to your face.

Hahaha, I started writing and the next thing I knew I had to break it up into multiple posts to allow it to accept the images. It's a little disappointing when you look back at just how little has been accomplished over time. But as you said, I don't feel bad that the cars sit there while I'm out and about with the family.

I was thinking about using a roller to epoxy my engine block. The cast finish is very rough and I think any slight imperfection of the roller would be hidden in that? It sure saves a lot of waste compared to spraying. I'm yet to spray any yet, I'll brush or roll as much of it as I can. There's still quite a lot of work in front of me yet until I get to the point of needing to apply any with a final aesthetically pleasing finish.

I hadn't thought about that, Bob. But great idea. I just had a look at the USPS site and it doesn't look like paint is excluded from international post. The first shipment I bought, SPI send for free domestically, so I had it sent to my exporter in Orange, CA. But by the time it got here I pretty much paid for it again in customs fees due to the way the system works when importing in a bulk shipment with the exporter. It made it quite expensive. Sending by post and keeping the total under $1000 AUD avoids any of those fees.

I'll look into that more though, Bob. As I will definitely need more plus I want to use the SPI single stage black as my final coat. I still have most of the gallon of epoxy, a gallon of 2k filler and a gallon of water w&g.

This afternoon I got to drive the RS6 for the first time. Only down the street and back as all the front components, in front of the engine, are not exactly held on securely as this is where the car was damaged. I had to adapt an aftermarket alloy radiator as a genuine one was $1800 and only out of Germany. I found out that only 35 of these were sold in Aus, so they are pretty rare. Finding used parts is just not going to happen.

It's quite an impressive car though.

$219k new

0-100kph in 4.8secs

331kw

560nm of torque

40 valve, 4.2 litre V8, bi-turbo, bi-intercooled engine with a 5 speed paddle shift auto.

And I love the 8 piston front calipers on 365mm rotors. They are huge! And there are so many other features in it, it's quite cool. Heated front and rear Recaro seats. The sunroof is also a solar panel that keeps the interior fans running while parked to keep the cabin cool. Pretty cool little feature.

All I can say is it is fast!! It wants to take off and launch you in the air. I can't wait to really get to drive it properly.

The F1 cab, Bob, is all original. The rear cab corners are great but the front toe boards are gone. Which is ok, I'd rather that than the cab corners.

No plans for any paint, just fresh rubber and glass. It took 65 years for it to look like that so I'm going to leave it.

Hey Ash, A very good epoxy primer, which is available here in aus. is Intergard 269. This stuff works very well and a lot of guys, including myself use it underneath the car to copy the original red oxide coating. Its used in the marine industry so resists a lot of moisture.

http://www.international-pc.com/products/info/Primers/Intergard-269.aspx

Cheers, Neil.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the link. From memory I've seen it been used around on one of the local forums. Perhaps it was even one of you builds?

I'm plan to use the SPI from start to finish, keep it all under the same manufacturer to avoid any issues. I really like the flexibility of the SPI epoxy too.

Cheers

Got he bearing race back from the machine shop.

20160331_122803_zpsrjxxgbxu.jpg

And the new bearing installed along with the rotor

20160331_123001_zpsgttz1gr2.jpg

And here shows the outer race slipping past the rotor and onto the bearing

20160331_122940_zpsqq8s8txe.jpg

New bearing and circlip into the extension housing

20160331_123858_zpsj6cywtg1.jpg

I lightly filed the seating face with a file to remove some of the casting marks. This gave me an air gap of about 1mm between magnetic pick up tip and rotor.

20160331_141444_zpsihnxspbl.jpg

All back together. I'm very happy as this cost me under $200 and turned into a relatively simply solution for something the engineer was turning into a major task.

20160401_114422_zpsrdo1ryua.jpg

something the engineer was turning into a major task.

20160401_114422_zpsrdo1ryua.jpg

Well that's just unheard of!

And no bashing me from all of you engineers, which I do hold in high regard.

haha!

It's more the formality of our nanny state rules and regs for registration.

Using a GPS speedo would have made life so much easier. And cheaper. But the rules state I needed a physical speedo pickup/drive of some sort on the car.

Thanks, Bob. Appreciate it.

But please, feel free to poke fun at those who decide and police the rules of our over governed state. They need to feel important to keep themselves employed. It's not the engineer's fault, he's just the one sharing his knowledge of the rules and signing off on our work so that we are allowed to drive our cars.

I've had a little bit of time here and there. I spent some time aligning the oil holes to the bearing shells. You can see how off centre they are.

20160410_092819_zpsalc27t2w.jpg

20160410_093257_zpskimanluk.jpg

20160410_095206_zpsby9vzlsj.jpg

20160410_100528_zpsn1nqbozz.jpg

Valley drain back

20160410_121846_zpsmwrpds3p.jpg

20160410_122248_zpso4yswssr.jpg

Last weekend I spent quite a few hours cleaning and preparing the block for paint

20160515_141611_zpsxza4xapq.jpg

Then I brushed on 5 coats of SPI epoxy

20160515_170325_zpscrasrzko.jpg

20160515_170355_zpscvaa1kha.jpg

Tedious indeed! The good thing now though is, well after some more tedious cleaning, it's time to start putting some new bits on it.

It's the block I got with the car. Not original, pretty much like everything else. I found out it is a 72 service block.