Ash

Ash's 69 R-code

YIKES! $300??? I hope that's for a large bottle. I get my medium size 150cf filled with 100% argon for $33. The regulator thing just tells me you're a normal guy Ash. I'm pretty sure most guys have done it.

I've got E2 sized bottles which by the looks is a middle size, they fill to 4.2 sm3 which I think must be the same as your 150cf?

I think they are $200 and something to swap but we also have to pay an annual hire fee on on each bottle in your possesion which I think was about $150. And you only pay $33? Snapping duck crap, what a difference. Just something else that Australians are over charged on.

I got some time to myself over the weekend and spent that putting up some plywood sheets and some second hand fluro lights into my Mustang area. I finished the last of the lights this morning. I only had 2 single fluro light tubes in here before. Now I have 18. The difference that they and the insulation that I put into the roof has made is amazing. It's gone from a hot box that you couldn't see in to a cooler area that is very bright. I have some repairs to do to the outside roof sheeting before I can fit the last section of ply up but at least now I have an area where I can work at night.

It wasn't easy by myself but it is great to get it done. After working on it for the day, it was still 37.4 degrees Celsius at 5pm. The time on the unit is an hour slow. It was a hot one, and this is in the cooler part of my shed which was cooler than being outside. After that I still had the night to myself so I buggered off to the beach for a fish. Was a pretty nice way to sit and an enjoy a cold beer. Even if I didn't catch anything.

IMAG2216_zpsf3441926.jpg

IMAG2208_zpsaa49a871.jpg

IMAG2211_zpsa1effc5d.jpg

I've got E2 sized bottles which by the looks is a middle size, they fill to 4.2 sm3 which I think must be the same as your 150cf?

I think they are $200 and something to swap but we also have to pay an annual hire fee on on each bottle in your possesion which I think was about $150. And you only pay $33? Snapping duck crap, what a difference. Just something else that Australians are over charged on.

Theres a company on ebay who sell full e size cylinders outright for about $200 and exchange them for around $100 including postage. I'll find the details as a mate bought one and was happy with it. I'm paying $160 rental and $110 exchange for an e cylinder from BOC. i don't go through enough gas to justify the account anymore.

Spoke to the engineer about gear box swap and all good with what I have in mind. So keep on going.

As for the speedo though, I will need to come up with something. Am thinking of using a Falcon ABS ring gear and ABS pickup off one of the front wheels. The engineer was happy with that. But I have a bit of homework to do on it.

Marked out and made two cuts in the firewall to lift the tunnel. I was now able to install the trans mount at the height it needed to be. I lifted the top section of the tunnel so it had plenty of clearance. This is how it sits. I still need to make a spacer between the trans mount and trans once I get some materials but it is lifted and sitting in its final location.

IMAG2284_zps77856c2c.jpg

IMAG2281_zps62b43ab1.jpg

IMAG2287_zps5ccb6a8d.jpg

I've now cut the top of the tunnel off.

IMAG2290_zpsa7dc6526.jpg

IMAG2289_zps487d2864.jpg

and slid the new floor into place

IMAG2291_zps5bcc64c5.jpg

This is where the tunnel top needs to sit to align with the T56

IMAG2292_zps9f17089c.jpg

I will have to make a piece to fill the space at the front

IMAG2293_zps5a044da8.jpg

Haha, it's way over due for some actual action to take place! Cheers mate, it's feeling good to getting stuck into it.

Today I ordered a set of FPA headers and my flywheel should now be delivered to the clutch guy to build me a custom clutch. Once the clutch is done it'll get sent straight to my engine guy to be balanced with the rotating assembly and have the machine work done on the block.

The clutch guy called me back this arvo. He's recommended an 11 inch, 6 button copper clutch with a solid centre and 4300lbs of clamping pressure. Should be ready in a few weeks.

My new clutch is built and was delivered to my shop this arvo for which I was sent a couple of pics. The friction plate is on its way to me so will hopefully have it in a few days.

Pressureplate_zps18c5b31c.jpg

flywheel_zps18c1b4a2.jpg

Haven't done a great deal on the stang as any spare time that I have had has gone to repairing the exhaust on my truck. It decided to fall apart on me one day and after removing it, it was easy to see why.

IMAG2487_zpsvdw2zanq.jpg

So I took this opportunity to swap out the original cast manifolds with a set of headers which took a couple of weeks to arrive from the US for a great price of $297 AUD including post to my door. They came with everything needed to fit them up. They are made by Flowtech which from the paperwork in the box, they appear to be a Holley product.

IMAG2566_zpsna7qbeq7.jpg

Pretty straight forward to fit. Had to lift the engine on the right side but in comparison to working on the big block Mustang, this was an absolute pleasure!
Already it sounds and feels like it flows better. Sounds more like a V8 should too.

IMAG2571_zpsr4pixmjp.jpg

Instead of refitting the near new, but dirty, Magnaflow stainless exhaust that was fitted to the 69, back onto the 69, I decided to cut it up and use the mufflers on the truck. The welds done by the previous installer had more holes than the old exhaust that I removed from the F100 and there are some small dents and scratches on it also because of shitty fitment.

IMAG2574_zpsakxonxak.jpg

Cleaned up not too bad

IMAG2601_zpsagkbe5pn.jpg

I ordered in some stainless pipe and mandrell bends from ECS which I've purchased from before. They have a good online store and are well priced.

IMAG2583_zpsqza1boys.jpg

The headers came with the weld on flared ends in 2.5 in. But in their fitting instructions, they state you need to bend the selector arm on the C6 in to clear the pipe. I didn't like this idea so decided to step the pipe around it instead.
I haven't worked with stainless before so took my time cutting and preparing it. I also cut the flare down. Then I used the waste to practice welding the stainless and finding a setting.

IMAG2586_zpsdznumitu.jpg

IMAG2588_zps1rgn57a5.jpg

Then the real thing

IMAG2589_zps2lgwj3aa.jpg

IMAG2590_zpsgpnu7wat.jpg

After test fitting it though it was still a tad long and just touching the selector shaft as it went through the gears. Not a problem as this piece fits the other side fine.
Second attempt and I was getting the hang of welding the stainless better.

IMAG2594_zpsmyfhmfeg.jpg

IMAG2593_zpsw7mx2s6f.jpg

Test fit and it cleared well.

IMAG2600_zpsvqodt8wh.jpg

And this is where I got up to today. Am pretty happy with the result for my first go and it has been more good practice for when it comes time for the 69's turn. Please feel free to give me any feedback. I'm learning as I go and would love to hear any tips or advice.

IMAG2603_zpsmwiydkzi.jpg

IMAG2602_zpsl2kqid7j.jpg

Got the exhaust done on the truck. Happy with the result but now I think the 2 barrel manifold with 4 barrel Holley is truly showing how much of a bottle neck it is. It feels like it is really holding it back now. So that'll be the next addition.

Some crappy phone pics and a sound clip. However I did make it extra crappy by shaking it and then blowing the phone over by accident with the exhaust. I did spook the wife twice though, ha!

IMAG2634_zpsvzke3oah.jpg

IMAG2636_zpsywvtc3yy.jpg

IMAG2640_zpsuim5sbxc.jpg