Ash

Ash's 69 R-code

They look like a good product Mike. Thanks for the link. I had a watch of the video and they look pretty straight forward to install. I think I'll add them to the shopping list :wink:

They look like a good product Mike. Thanks for the link. I had a watch of the video and they look pretty straight forward to install. I think I'll add them to the shopping list :wink:

I'll be installing a set of Subframe connectors from Maier Racing on my '70 Mach. They race their vintage Stangs HARD, so I'm sure their connectors are some of the best out there.

http://www.maierracing.com/

Maier is a well accomplished Autocross racer. Check out his cool little coupe.

And if that one didn't impress you... check out this one! LOL

Edited by Powershift

I'll be installing a set of Subframe connectors from Maier Racing on my '70 Mach. They race their vintage Stangs HARD, so I'm sure their connectors are some of the best out there.

http://www.maierracing.com/

Maier is a well accomplished Autocross racer. Check out his cool little coupe.

And if that one didn't impress you... check out this one! LOL

Edited by Powershift

These the ones Powershift?

large2pnms2201.jpg

I see they advertise the more attaching points as a strength benefit over others. How are these attached though, are they welded in place too?

These the ones Powershift?

large2pnms2201.jpg

I see they advertise the more attaching points as a strength benefit over others. How are these attached though, are they welded in place too?

Yep! Those are them, and yes... weld them in place.

BTW I work part time for Maximum Motorsports. Anyone here who knows what MM specializes in, knows we don't fool around when it comes to late model Mustang suspension. We refer all vintage Stang owners looking to upgrade the handling of their early cars to Maier.

Edited by Powershift

Yep! Those are them, and yes... weld them in place.

BTW I work part time for Maximum Motorsports. Anyone here who knows what MM specializes in, knows we don't fool around when it comes to late model Mustang suspension. We refer all vintage Stang owners looking to upgrade the handling of their early cars to Maier.

Edited by Powershift

Do you really want to weld in subframe connectors to an R code? I do have them on my Mach I, but those R codes are pretty valuable and pricey. But, you did say you would never sell it, so...

Do you really want to weld in subframe connectors to an R code? I do have them on my Mach I, but those R codes are pretty valuable and pricey. But, you did say you would never sell it, so...

Hehe, I think you're spot on Cornerstone, the black sure is sexy. I think my wheels would look fantastic against the black too :001_cool:

Do you have your fastback apart Cornerstone? Do you have a thread on it at all? Would love to see what you are up to.

Yes it is completely apart and I've taken all 9 layers of paint off of it! That car will take me some time, as my business is CrAzY busy right now. I actually have two mustangs like you. I bought a real nice mach 1 a few months ago just because I couldnt wait and found a clean original non restored car. I did have my brother in law over one night and he helped me post some pics of my yellow mach. You can find the thread by searching for " which wheels fellas" and there are a couple of pictures of my recent purchase. It is a 351c automatic power disc brake, power steering, air condition car. You can read more on that thread. I'm computer challenged so that's why I havent put up any pics of the one I am restoring. The only thing that is still in the car is the windshield, and it is currently on a 4 foot hydraulic lift in the middle of my 2 car garage. ( the wifes Yukon xl dosent get to use that valuable real estate)

I hope to actually step into the current century and start my own build thread one day, I have about a hundred pics on my phone now.

Hehe, I think you're spot on Cornerstone, the black sure is sexy. I think my wheels would look fantastic against the black too :001_cool:

Do you have your fastback apart Cornerstone? Do you have a thread on it at all? Would love to see what you are up to.

Yes it is completely apart and I've taken all 9 layers of paint off of it! That car will take me some time, as my business is CrAzY busy right now. I actually have two mustangs like you. I bought a real nice mach 1 a few months ago just because I couldnt wait and found a clean original non restored car. I did have my brother in law over one night and he helped me post some pics of my yellow mach. You can find the thread by searching for " which wheels fellas" and there are a couple of pictures of my recent purchase. It is a 351c automatic power disc brake, power steering, air condition car. You can read more on that thread. I'm computer challenged so that's why I havent put up any pics of the one I am restoring. The only thing that is still in the car is the windshield, and it is currently on a 4 foot hydraulic lift in the middle of my 2 car garage. ( the wifes Yukon xl dosent get to use that valuable real estate)

I hope to actually step into the current century and start my own build thread one day, I have about a hundred pics on my phone now.

That is a good point. Would there be any other paths I could travel down for some support instead? I'm open to any suggestions.

9 layers, wow!! I bet you have paint dust on anything and everything!!

I'm attempting to kick off a new business myself but between my family and being in the shed trying to make a dollar, any personal time for my toy is very uncommon. Hence the slow progress. But I'm on the downhill side of a big job, or close to the downhill side at least:laugh: and am going to make an effort to make sometime for myself to play with my car after. I'm going to have my work cut out for myself too like you, but it'll take what ever time it takes. Having that second Mustang helps to have something to enjoy in the meantime. It scratches that itch!

I'll have a look for your thread and check it out. It'd be great to follow a build thread if you manage to post one up. I love reading and following others, it gives great motivation and plenty of ideas and help with what you're doing yourself.

Once you open a photobucket account or something similar, and get the hang of how to upload and post the link, you'll be all over it.

I'm jealous of your car lift, I was shopping ebay for one here earlier. I have the space, it sure would help a lot. Will just wait for that bargain to come along.

I have a large shed myself, roughly enough to cover 16 cars. But you know my wife's car and one or two others don't get a spot, funny how that happens, haha!

That is a good point. Would there be any other paths I could travel down for some support instead? I'm open to any suggestions.

9 layers, wow!! I bet you have paint dust on anything and everything!!

I'm attempting to kick off a new business myself but between my family and being in the shed trying to make a dollar, any personal time for my toy is very uncommon. Hence the slow progress. But I'm on the downhill side of a big job, or close to the downhill side at least:laugh: and am going to make an effort to make sometime for myself to play with my car after. I'm going to have my work cut out for myself too like you, but it'll take what ever time it takes. Having that second Mustang helps to have something to enjoy in the meantime. It scratches that itch!

I'll have a look for your thread and check it out. It'd be great to follow a build thread if you manage to post one up. I love reading and following others, it gives great motivation and plenty of ideas and help with what you're doing yourself.

Once you open a photobucket account or something similar, and get the hang of how to upload and post the link, you'll be all over it.

I'm jealous of your car lift, I was shopping ebay for one here earlier. I have the space, it sure would help a lot. Will just wait for that bargain to come along.

I have a large shed myself, roughly enough to cover 16 cars. But you know my wife's car and one or two others don't get a spot, funny how that happens, haha!

I fail to see why weld in connectors are not removable also, a bolt on one once removed would leave holes behind, they can be welded up but welds can be cut and ground smooth too. Not to mention that with a lot of torque the bolt on holes will elongate and become ovals over time.

That said I have always been told that it's best to always buy the bolt on ones and then go and weld them in anyway, probably just becasue it easier to keep them in place and line them up or use the bolt holes for extra weld locations. In any case you can start with the bolt on and then weld them in later if you so choose. I went with the Global West connectors on my car.

I fail to see why weld in connectors are not removable also, a bolt on one once removed would leave holes behind, they can be welded up but welds can be cut and ground smooth too. Not to mention that with a lot of torque the bolt on holes will elongate and become ovals over time.

That said I have always been told that it's best to always buy the bolt on ones and then go and weld them in anyway, probably just becasue it easier to keep them in place and line them up or use the bolt holes for extra weld locations. In any case you can start with the bolt on and then weld them in later if you so choose. I went with the Global West connectors on my car.

With bolt-in connectors it's all about how many attaching points they have. Most I have seen have a couple bolts on the front of the connector, and a couple on the back. All that does is create a pivot point. Yea, they are connected, but they can move. A bolt-in connector with several mounting locations would for sure be better than nothing.

And as far as removing weld-in connectors, it's not quite as easy as it sounds. At MM we have several late model Mustangs to use for R&D work. One is a '90 Fox coupe. We had some of our early style frame connectors on the car, and wanted to remove them to install our newest full length connectors. It took the welder about 6 hours to remove the connectors entirely. Weld in connectors really become part of the car, unlike most bolt-in models. But, that's also why they work so well.

With bolt-in connectors it's all about how many attaching points they have. Most I have seen have a couple bolts on the front of the connector, and a couple on the back. All that does is create a pivot point. Yea, they are connected, but they can move. A bolt-in connector with several mounting locations would for sure be better than nothing.

And as far as removing weld-in connectors, it's not quite as easy as it sounds. At MM we have several late model Mustangs to use for R&D work. One is a '90 Fox coupe. We had some of our early style frame connectors on the car, and wanted to remove them to install our newest full length connectors. It took the welder about 6 hours to remove the connectors entirely. Weld in connectors really become part of the car, unlike most bolt-in models. But, that's also why they work so well.

I'm leaning more towards the benefits of a weld in set-up over a bolt in one. Mainly due to what a solid set-up will prevent from happening over the possibilities of if ever one day it had to be removed.

After all, it is not, nor will it ever be a concourse car. And if someone at a show, or when I'm out, starts picking on the little things, which tends to happen all the time, I really couldn't give a shit what they think. I've only been in two shows now with my 66 and when people ask if its a 289 and I tell them its a 6cyl, they for some reason get disappointed and shocked in the fact I have no intentions in changing it. Why I don't know, it's my car, I enjoy it for what it is. Plus I have several other V8 cars at home, I enjoy the 6cyl because its just a base and completely stock/original spec car. And more importantly, the people who are usually so opinionated, don't even have a car!

I agree on not doing a mod that may reduce its value dramatically. As mentioned, these are worth quite a bit now, especially here in Aus. It's actually insured for 3 times the price I paid. But I'm thinking if the body starts twisting and ends up causing damage, then a mod like this will be beneficial to the long term life of the car.

I'm leaning more towards the benefits of a weld in set-up over a bolt in one. Mainly due to what a solid set-up will prevent from happening over the possibilities of if ever one day it had to be removed.

After all, it is not, nor will it ever be a concourse car. And if someone at a show, or when I'm out, starts picking on the little things, which tends to happen all the time, I really couldn't give a shit what they think. I've only been in two shows now with my 66 and when people ask if its a 289 and I tell them its a 6cyl, they for some reason get disappointed and shocked in the fact I have no intentions in changing it. Why I don't know, it's my car, I enjoy it for what it is. Plus I have several other V8 cars at home, I enjoy the 6cyl because its just a base and completely stock/original spec car. And more importantly, the people who are usually so opinionated, don't even have a car!

I agree on not doing a mod that may reduce its value dramatically. As mentioned, these are worth quite a bit now, especially here in Aus. It's actually insured for 3 times the price I paid. But I'm thinking if the body starts twisting and ends up causing damage, then a mod like this will be beneficial to the long term life of the car.

Good thinking process. I doubt too many out there would consider a nicely installed set of weld-in subframe connectors as "detrimental" to the car's value (except for the "chalkmark restoration" crowd).

And, with a big torque monster 428 up front, God knows the chassis could use all the help it can get! LOL