Ash

Ash's 69 R-code

Stuck valves! I have some pushrods in my toolbox for show and tell that look exactly like that.

Nice looking cars and family to the OP! Welcome!

I wouldn't be surprised if the valves in the Edelbrock heads are bent. I haven't pulled them apart yet but will be doing so and having them serviced by the machinist.

I've also read that the Edelbrock springs weren't up for the job so they will be going as well.

All this stuff was new, I have the receipts for it all from the build. It's a pain to have to replace near new parts that have failed. But that's how it goes. Thanks for telling me you've had the same issues.

Thanks for the welcome, Fordrevhead!!

Thanks Mike65!!

I had seen some of your posts about your 69. You've done well in your photos. Panel beating and replacing body panels like you are is not my forte, so I take my hat off to you for your commitment. I wish I had the ability to do the same.

Is your Explorer a V8? I recently sold my Falcon ute which shared the same motor. I had a 5 speed behind mine. I purchased it damaged in the back so I made my own tray for it. Here's some pics.

This is when I got it

DSC02370.jpg

You can see the damage

DSC02374.jpg

The motor and interior

DSC02360.jpg

DSC02366.jpg

And the tray when I finished

DSC03124.jpg

DSC03122.jpg

Then I put a twin exhaust out the back with a twin in/twin out Magnaflow muffler. Sounded great!

P2030005.jpg

Thanks Mike65!!

I had seen some of your posts about your 69. You've done well in your photos. Panel beating and replacing body panels like you are is not my forte, so I take my hat off to you for your commitment. I wish I had the ability to do the same.

Is your Explorer a V8? I recently sold my Falcon ute which shared the same motor. I had a 5 speed behind mine. I purchased it damaged in the back so I made my own tray for it. Here's some pics.

This is when I got it

DSC02370.jpg

You can see the damage

DSC02374.jpg

The motor and interior

DSC02360.jpg

DSC02366.jpg

And the tray when I finished

DSC03124.jpg

DSC03122.jpg

Then I put a twin exhaust out the back with a twin in/twin out Magnaflow muffler. Sounded great!

P2030005.jpg

WOW!!! nice work there Ash, looks great. No the Explorer is the Sport, the 2 door model. The largest engine Ford put in the 2 door Sport was the 4.0 litre SOHC, that is what it has in it.

WOW!!! nice work there Ash, looks great. No the Explorer is the Sport, the 2 door model. The largest engine Ford put in the 2 door Sport was the 4.0 litre SOHC, that is what it has in it.

Welcome Ash. Thanks for sharing your story and builds. Please keep the progress pictures coming. :-)

You aren't going keep the 70 hood strips, are you? IMO the coolest option on the '69's were the blacked out hood. Regardless, you have 2 very cool Stangs!

Jim

Welcome Ash. Thanks for sharing your story and builds. Please keep the progress pictures coming. :-)

You aren't going keep the 70 hood strips, are you? IMO the coolest option on the '69's were the blacked out hood. Regardless, you have 2 very cool Stangs!

Jim

Thanks Jim, appreciate the welcome!!

No, the 70 stripes will be going. There is a paint imperfection under the graphic which I think the reason for this put on, to actually cover the imperfection.

I'm considering painting the car now while it is in pieces and going for a colour change. I love the blue, it's a beautiful colour. But I love the black/red stripe combo. I figure why not sort out all the little things while I have the chance now. I really do not want to be pulling this 428 out again anytime soon!

Thanks Jim, appreciate the welcome!!

No, the 70 stripes will be going. There is a paint imperfection under the graphic which I think the reason for this put on, to actually cover the imperfection.

I'm considering painting the car now while it is in pieces and going for a colour change. I love the blue, it's a beautiful colour. But I love the black/red stripe combo. I figure why not sort out all the little things while I have the chance now. I really do not want to be pulling this 428 out again anytime soon!

I love the blue, it's a beautiful colour. But I love the black/red stripe combo.

My fastback was also originally blue, and I too want to go black with mach 1 red striping. Same deal here ... I like the blue just fine, but the black and red combo is HOT!:w00t::w00t::w00t:

I love the blue, it's a beautiful colour. But I love the black/red stripe combo.

My fastback was also originally blue, and I too want to go black with mach 1 red striping. Same deal here ... I like the blue just fine, but the black and red combo is HOT!:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Hehe, I think you're spot on Cornerstone, the black sure is sexy. I think my wheels would look fantastic against the black too :001_cool:

Do you have your fastback apart Cornerstone? Do you have a thread on it at all? Would love to see what you are up to.

Hehe, I think you're spot on Cornerstone, the black sure is sexy. I think my wheels would look fantastic against the black too :001_cool:

Do you have your fastback apart Cornerstone? Do you have a thread on it at all? Would love to see what you are up to.

Have any of you guys added frame rail connectors or anything of a similar set-up? On my R/H A-pillar, towards the top of the windscreen, it looks like the paint has cracked near where the lead fill would be. I'm thinking this is due to the car twisting, which with a healthy 428 I can imagine being easy to do. Any one had similar issues or have taken any preventative measures to insure this doesn't happen? If so, what set-up would you recommend?

Here's a search result from Summit

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Year/1969/Make/FORD/Model/MUSTANG/Department/Chassis-Suspension/Section/Chassis-Components/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Have any of you guys added frame rail connectors or anything of a similar set-up? On my R/H A-pillar, towards the top of the windscreen, it looks like the paint has cracked near where the lead fill would be. I'm thinking this is due to the car twisting, which with a healthy 428 I can imagine being easy to do. Any one had similar issues or have taken any preventative measures to insure this doesn't happen? If so, what set-up would you recommend?

Here's a search result from Summit

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Year/1969/Make/FORD/Model/MUSTANG/Department/Chassis-Suspension/Section/Chassis-Components/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Ash, even though my 69 Coupe will only be a 331 stroker, 5 spd & 3.70 rear gears, & not a monster 428 I am still going to install sub frame connectors seeing as my coupe has the typical roof dents above the sail panel that all my coupes have had which I believe is from the uni-body stress. These are the ones I want to use.

http://www.tinmanfabrication.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=58/prd58.htm

Ash, even though my 69 Coupe will only be a 331 stroker, 5 spd & 3.70 rear gears, & not a monster 428 I am still going to install sub frame connectors seeing as my coupe has the typical roof dents above the sail panel that all my coupes have had which I believe is from the uni-body stress. These are the ones I want to use.

http://www.tinmanfabrication.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=58/prd58.htm