Ash

Ash's 69 R-code

Thanks for the birthday wishes Cornerstone! And you know what , I may just be able to take you up on that offer of dropping in, in the next 12 months or so. My wife has a friend in Fort Worth as well. She has a few friends in the States and they are planning on a get together. We're working towards getting over there November but it is now looking like February next year as its a much cheaper time to travel.

I want to come and buy myself a pre-72 F-truck, something with an FE in it. And we'd like to do some travelling in an RV. We have quite a bit of saving to do to get there, but that is our goal.

But you sound like my kind of guy to have a beer with and talk some shit. I could sit around for days drinking beers and talking cars and bikes! :lol: I sold my last real bike, a CBR929RR, just after my daughter was born. She just turned 4. I needed to some time back at the physiotherapist to get some more treatment on my knee and hip, plus I needed some time off the bike to calm down. I was being a little bit silly too often and with a new baby that needed to slow down a bit. Have been stuck into cars since then so no more bikes, but one day they'll come back. I've still got my little CRF50 which has had a lot of parts thrown at it, it goes very well. We've got enough space up the back of our place to ride it around. The kids love it too :thumbup:

LilyDadwheelie.jpg

And my little fella, Ronnie, having a twist of the throttle. As loud as this bike is, you could still hear him cracking up laughing, he loved it!

P9040271.jpg

This was my Fireblade

CBRwheelie.png

My SP1

141106JPM_538.jpg

Fooling around on my R1

th_R1burnouts.jpg

My CRF450 Supermoto. I still have all my supermoto gear, just no bike to put it all on.

memotard7Small.jpg

My CRF450 when I first brought it in 04

107_0711a.jpg

Back in 01 on my 01 CR250

edit11.jpg

When I was 17

DSC02077.jpg

When I was 16 on my XR250

DSC02075.jpg

I've had quite a lot of bikes. I worked in several motorbike shops for about 5 years before I went back to uni to become a high school woodwork teacher.

You sound quite lucky getting back on a bike after you hurt your back. It took me about 18 months to throw a leg over again after that hit on the XR650. So I know how you feel, the body never heals back to how it uonce was. I've broken my wrists 3 times too, got some metal in them as well, they hurt a bit every so often but they are pretty good. It is my hip and knee that give me most trouble. I've still got all the steal inside my femur and screws holding it in. I'm ok during the day but at the end of a ride, I can barely walk. Still doesn't stop you though hey!!

I get up to some woodwork and car stuff in my shed. I'm at the moment trying to kick off a woodwork business. We've been in our new place for about 18 months and I'm busy but the money is slow. Before that I was at uni and during then and still now I buy and sell car parts online. It's pretty easy going, makes a few dollars and pays the bills. So while the woodwork side of things grows, the car bits just tick along to put food on table.

This is my website I built a little while ago. It needs an update. I have more things on my business facebook page. I'm not a facebook person but it works pretty good for the woodwork.

http://ashstimbercreations.com.au/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ashs-Timber-Creations/173630792673159

I don't ever expect the business to make a squllion dollars. It's just something I really enjoy and hope can support my family. Like I said before, it all allows me to be at home and to be a Dad and that is the important thing to me.

Hopefully we make it to your part of the world Cornerstone in the not too distant future, would love to take you up on that beer! :001_smile:

Ash, WOW!!! your woodworking looks great. I was big into woodworking for about 10 years but it has since been put on hold as the Mustang now is more important to work on, besides that the house we are living in now only has a one car garage & no basement & not much property for a large shed. I like building furniture, bookcases, desks, tables, & a dresser for my wife.

Mike.

Ash, WOW!!! your woodworking looks great. I was big into woodworking for about 10 years but it has since been put on hold as the Mustang now is more important to work on, besides that the house we are living in now only has a one car garage & no basement & not much property for a large shed. I like building furniture, bookcases, desks, tables, & a dresser for my wife.

Mike.

Thanks very much Mike, it always means a lot when my work is appreciated. You put yourself so much into it to create something, so it's very pleasing when others like it too.

You guys have some very nice timbers over there, I'd like to work with some of it myself. But getting it over here is difficult and expensive. I mostly work with Tasmanian timbers, they are very nice. My wife tends to get many things made for her too. She also gets quite fond of the things I make for other people which means I end up making two sometimes.

Thanks very much Mike, it always means a lot when my work is appreciated. You put yourself so much into it to create something, so it's very pleasing when others like it too.

You guys have some very nice timbers over there, I'd like to work with some of it myself. But getting it over here is difficult and expensive. I mostly work with Tasmanian timbers, they are very nice. My wife tends to get many things made for her too. She also gets quite fond of the things I make for other people which means I end up making two sometimes.

I started dismantling some of the front components this arvo. I got this far in before it was time to put tools down and go get the kids.

P2230010.jpg

When removing the headlight buckets, is it best to remove the bumper first? I had a look but didn't make much sense of it before I had to walk out.

Also took the chrome strip off under the door along the drivers side. Looks like the bolt that hold the strip on at the front is old and rusty and has started to cause rust around the bolt hole. Considering the paint isn't that old, this would only get worse quite quickly.

P2230014.jpg

I started dismantling some of the front components this arvo. I got this far in before it was time to put tools down and go get the kids.

P2230010.jpg

When removing the headlight buckets, is it best to remove the bumper first? I had a look but didn't make much sense of it before I had to walk out.

Also took the chrome strip off under the door along the drivers side. Looks like the bolt that hold the strip on at the front is old and rusty and has started to cause rust around the bolt hole. Considering the paint isn't that old, this would only get worse quite quickly.

P2230014.jpg

That's a great looking car and some very fun looking toys! I am also in the process of restoring my 69 mach 1 and trying to decide on my tire size. As I was looking through this thread I noticed the stance and the tire sizing looks like they fit perfectly to the car. Do you know the tire sizes front and rear?

Thanks,

Drew

That's a great looking car and some very fun looking toys! I am also in the process of restoring my 69 mach 1 and trying to decide on my tire size. As I was looking through this thread I noticed the stance and the tire sizing looks like they fit perfectly to the car. Do you know the tire sizes front and rear?

Thanks,

Drew

Thanks,

Drew

Thanks Drew!

I like the stance too. It is not as low as other 69/70 fastbacks I have seen around. I know two others local to me and both have trouble on our local roads. I didn't plan on lowering mine, I think the wheels/tyres (for your side of the world, tires:laugh:) fill the guards quite well.

The rims are 15's. Not sure on offset but the backs are a very close fit.

Front tyres are 235/70, the front left scrubs a tiny bit at full lock right but I'll work on adjusting that.

Rear tyres are 295's but I'll have to check the sidewall height. The are quite fat. And the inner lip of the rear guard has been rolled a touch to clear. But they don't rub at all, and if you look closely, that is a surprise! Here's some shots from the back.

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

P51202062.jpg

P51201972.jpg

Ash,

I would remove the front bumper first, it will make getting the headlight buckets off easier.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, I'll attack that later :wink:

Thanks,

Drew

Thanks Drew!

I like the stance too. It is not as low as other 69/70 fastbacks I have seen around. I know two others local to me and both have trouble on our local roads. I didn't plan on lowering mine, I think the wheels/tyres (for your side of the world, tires:laugh:) fill the guards quite well.

The rims are 15's. Not sure on offset but the backs are a very close fit.

Front tyres are 235/70, the front left scrubs a tiny bit at full lock right but I'll work on adjusting that.

Rear tyres are 295's but I'll have to check the sidewall height. The are quite fat. And the inner lip of the rear guard has been rolled a touch to clear. But they don't rub at all, and if you look closely, that is a surprise! Here's some shots from the back.

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

P51202062.jpg

P51201972.jpg

Ash,

I would remove the front bumper first, it will make getting the headlight buckets off easier.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, I'll attack that later :wink:

Thanks Ash!

In my opinion tire size is a very important part of determining the look of a car and it has been bugging the crap out of me. Thanks for being so helpful and posting the pictures and also making the extra effort to look at the size, it will save me many headaches. Let me know what you find out please.

Thanks,

Drew

Thanks Ash!

In my opinion tire size is a very important part of determining the look of a car and it has been bugging the crap out of me. Thanks for being so helpful and posting the pictures and also making the extra effort to look at the size, it will save me many headaches. Let me know what you find out please.

Thanks,

Drew

Thanks! If you ever do get a chance the width and backspacing of your wheels would be very helpful. I hate to trouble you anymore but I would greatly appreciate it. I also may be able to help you with some information on your 428 rebuild. My Dad is very knowledgeable about FE engines. He and I rebuilt a 427 centeroiler to blueprint specs. He has also built 360s 390s and a 428 cj so let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Thanks,

Drew

Thanks! If you ever do get a chance the width and backspacing of your wheels would be very helpful. I hate to trouble you anymore but I would greatly appreciate it. I also may be able to help you with some information on your 428 rebuild. My Dad is very knowledgeable about FE engines. He and I rebuilt a 427 centeroiler to blueprint specs. He has also built 360s 390s and a 428 cj so let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Thanks,

Drew

My pleasure Drew!

You don't often hear of people discussing back spacing often here in Aus, so I'm not 100% sure which way you measure it. Is it from the back face of the wheel centre to the very outside of the rim edge? That is the rim's inside lip?

Thanks for the offer to help too, any advice I can soak up along the way is very helpful! I'll remember to ask when the time comes, much appreciated!

I did find this build thread which goes into great detail, I've learnt a lot from reading through it and he is still going.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/46-big-block-roadster-builds/268376-engine-build-thread-427ci-fe-big-block.html

I've also got Barry Rabotnick's book here and have Jay Brown's book on the way as well.

My pleasure Drew!

You don't often hear of people discussing back spacing often here in Aus, so I'm not 100% sure which way you measure it. Is it from the back face of the wheel centre to the very outside of the rim edge? That is the rim's inside lip?

Thanks for the offer to help too, any advice I can soak up along the way is very helpful! I'll remember to ask when the time comes, much appreciated!

I did find this build thread which goes into great detail, I've learnt a lot from reading through it and he is still going.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/46-big-block-roadster-builds/268376-engine-build-thread-427ci-fe-big-block.html

I've also got Barry Rabotnick's book here and have Jay Brown's book on the way as well.

Very nice! I love gearhead books! Books and experience working with people a lot smarter than me is where I've learned everything that I know. I believe the proper way to measure backspacing is to turn the wheel facing down and lay a straight edge across the outside lip of the rim, then measure down to where the wheel goes up against the axle and that should be the back spacing. I have determined that measuring wheel width is difficult with a tire mounted on it unless its written on the wheel somewhere. When measuring with a tire on the wheel I usually stick the tape measure through the spoke and try to eyeball it. Those look like american racing wheels that you have and I would probably say that they are either 8, 9, 9.5, or 10 inches wide.

Thanks again for all your help,

Drew

Very nice! I love gearhead books! Books and experience working with people a lot smarter than me is where I've learned everything that I know. I believe the proper way to measure backspacing is to turn the wheel facing down and lay a straight edge across the outside lip of the rim, then measure down to where the wheel goes up against the axle and that should be the back spacing. I have determined that measuring wheel width is difficult with a tire mounted on it unless its written on the wheel somewhere. When measuring with a tire on the wheel I usually stick the tape measure through the spoke and try to eyeball it. Those look like american racing wheels that you have and I would probably say that they are either 8, 9, 9.5, or 10 inches wide.

Thanks again for all your help,

Drew

I love a good tech book too, Drew. I'm an ex-parts interpreter, I used to work in the motorcycle industry, we had to know a lot tech info off the top of our heads. I can sit and read technical data for ages about things I know I will never have anything to do with, haha!

Would you or your Dad have any other FE book suggestions to add to my collection?

I have to go out to the shed tonight to do a few things, once the kids are in bed I'll head out and see if I can get that info for you. They'll be in bed before too long. Not sure what time of day it is there for you right nmow, you may be asleep yourself?

I'll dock a length of timber to sit on the rim edge inside the tyre and drop a steel rule down to get a measurement. Just to make it hard for you though, I'll measure it in mm's :lol:

Got stuck into it a bit more. Man, it starts to get small once you take a guard off!

P2240011.jpg

Also found a bit of a patch job on the passenger side front rail. You can see the additional plates and welds

P2240016.jpg

P2240021.jpg

The outside face looks better

P2240018.jpg

One of the blinker backings is looking pretty average as well, are these replaceable?

P2240010.jpg

I love a good tech book too, Drew. I'm an ex-parts interpreter, I used to work in the motorcycle industry, we had to know a lot tech info off the top of our heads. I can sit and read technical data for ages about things I know I will never have anything to do with, haha!

Would you or your Dad have any other FE book suggestions to add to my collection?

I have to go out to the shed tonight to do a few things, once the kids are in bed I'll head out and see if I can get that info for you. They'll be in bed before too long. Not sure what time of day it is there for you right nmow, you may be asleep yourself?

I'll dock a length of timber to sit on the rim edge inside the tyre and drop a steel rule down to get a measurement. Just to make it hard for you though, I'll measure it in mm's :lol:

Got stuck into it a bit more. Man, it starts to get small once you take a guard off!

P2240011.jpg

Also found a bit of a patch job on the passenger side front rail. You can see the additional plates and welds

P2240016.jpg

P2240021.jpg

The outside face looks better

P2240018.jpg

One of the blinker backings is looking pretty average as well, are these replaceable?

P2240010.jpg