Sign in to follow this  
MustangGT

Deluxe GT Gas Cap

Anyone got their hands on the Scott Drake repro '69 Gas Pop-Open Cap? (the one with the Cog gear stamping). I have seen them advertised on Sleeze-Bay and was wondering how they look and whether or not it is possible to retain the "pop-open" look and not have to simply use the pop-open to cover an ugly screw on gas cap.

The one on mine isn't too bad but does show it's age. I though about just replacing the gasket and getting it re-chromed but can't see an easy (non-destructive) way of getting the thing apart.

The cap unscrews from the base and the GT letters pop off easy enough so the only thing that will stay in place for plating would be the plunger & spring Can't see when closed anyway).

The problem with re-choming is duplicating the circular brushed pattern. I've seen a re-chromed one at a car show and it did not turn out so well.

Mine is pitted and broken at the bottom so I have mine appart this far and have showed it to a couple of different chrome platers ... neither had any idea on how to duplicate this circular brushed look pattern.

As bad as my original cap is, I've had a NOS '68 GT center cap on a NOS '69 Mach bezel since the 80's.

This new Scott Drake repro cap assembly is probably the only way to go unless you can find someone who can figure out how to duplicate the brushed pattern.

Doug

FWIW I have the Scott Drake regular pop open repro that I bought several years ago now to replace my original and at that time it came with a new spring and cork gasket set up in additon to the suggested alternative screw on safety cap. The spring set up was in seperate packaging clearly marked as for show use only and not legal for the street as most legal disclaimers you see but I am using it anyway.

If Scott Drake is a smart and savy manufacturer which I believe they are then likely they did not bother to redesign the entire inner part of their casting mold when making the new outer part for a correct GT cap so if for some reason they would not offer the option for a correct show car appearance spring assembly on this item or even the standard one anymore you should have no issue to fitting your existing set up to it and you can cut a new cork gasket from stock material.

In any case Scott Drake is usually quick to answer any email inquires so I'd just go to the source and ask directly and if you do post the response here please for future reference.

As for the correct brushed finish I have also noted from the past that no rechromer seems to be able to do it but if the new repro is correct then someone out there obviously figured it out.

i think advanced plating in nashville can do the GT caps but you should check with them to be sure if you decide to that route. i got lucky with the used one i got off ebay and the center is actually in really decent shape i just bought a repro 69 pop open cap and used the base assembly from that on the ebay cap and was good to go.

i had to replace my original due to a jacking accident back in high school. I was jacking it up with the bumper jack that came with the car when i bought it (obviously not even close to original, but didn't know that at the time) and the car rolled forward and the bumper jack pu a nice little dent in the original GT cap....i broadened vocabulary considerably that day...LOL I still my original hanging on the wall here in my office and will hold onto it forever as a memento once i finally get the car sold, which i'm not trying to do really hard at the moment until the economy bounces back a little more.

Thks again for all of the replies. I heard back from Drake and here is what they had to say: "You can attach the cover and spring or leave it off and use the screw in cap. The screw on cap was put in the kit due to the fact that Ford would not approve the license to produce this cap without the screw on cap. Ford was adamant about making sure the gas would not leak." So it looks like I can have my cake and eat it to -- now if only replacing the cap would magically paint the car, rebuild the engine, redo the interior, and re-wire bumper to bumper. I guess I should send another E-mail to Drake and see if they have a cap that will do that as well. :-)

Just got a Mustang Unlimited catalog in the mail yesterday and the long awaited Scott Drake 1969 GT cap assy. was on the back page for $174.95 (free s&h) & and their web site states "in stock".

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=FD69GT+01

CJ Pony finally lists it as well for $174.55 but not in stock ...

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-gas-cap-pop-open-gt-1969/p/GC69GTP/

Virginia Classic too $164.95 + s&h ...

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/69-GT-POP-OPEN-GAS-CAP-P305912C3083.aspx

Virginia's blog page is what popped up 1st and there is a back side pic showing the "Autolite" logo ... nice detail Scott Drake:

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2012/03/1969-mustang-gt-pop-open-gas-caps.html

... check it out !!

There is also a guy down in TN selling them on e-bay (member "m10987")... $163.58 BIN w/ shipping however his listing states it is a "Limited Run". I sent him a message asking if this was the Scott Drake repro or someone else's. If he is selling the Scott Drake and is not fibbing about the "Limited Run" comment, probably be wise to order one soon.

I'll probably be pulling the trigger. I kind of like the idea of a real twist cap behind the pop-open for a street driven car. Being a "pop-open" has always been a slight concern of mine, and I should have no trouble selling my TWO Genuine Ford replacement cap assy's ('69 Mach & '68 GT) that I bought and combined in the 80's so I'd at least have "GT" on my cap. They are in like new condition and there has to be people out there looking for these rather than the current repro style ... would even guess that the two of them are worth more than what I'll be paying for this repro GT cap assy. Had the plain Mach 1 on for a while though so everything is technically used but the '68 Backing Plate.

Pics below of my original. Bottom edge is broken and there are divots in the face too. All I can think is someone tried to 1st pry off the GT letters then the whole cap while it was parked somewhere in it's former life. Little did they know all the had to do was pop it open and unscrew the two phillips screws !!

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

The guy on e-bay is selling the Scott Drake repro.

Since his delivered price was $11 less than CJ or MU and he has a 100% rating I ordered one. This listing was for 10 of them and he has sold 3 others.

John I'll let you know what I decide to do when I get to where I'm ready to sell one or both of what will again be 2 complete gas cap assemblies I have now.

Doug

CJP is now having a 20% off sale thru 3/31 and the regular price WAS NOT adjusted UP for the sale as we have sometimes seen in the past ... price now w/ sale ... $139.64 !!

Not in stock though (states "ships from mfr" / Scott Drake), where the e-bay seller I bought from for $24 more still has 6 of 10 available (auction ends tomorrow).

Many people have had Back-Order horror stories from CJP (as well as other vendors) ... including myself.

Just a fair warning if you want to jump on this low price !!

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

My GT GasCap Assy (bought from the guy on e-bay) came yesterday Fed-Ex.

His listing stated it would ship from his location in TN, but it actually drop-shipped from Scott Drake in NV. No biggie, bought late 3/14 and it shipped 3/19.

Looks just as good as the pics ... very nice reproduction and very glad I took the leap !! Maybe a week or two before I get it installed as I'm currently messing around under the hood ... yes, I'll take pics !!

Doug

Cool, I do like the look of this one and my current is loose and doesn't seal very well. So once I figure out how they attach I'll jump too =) Looking forward to some pics of the install.

FYI ... a '69 Pop-Open will not fit a '70 with the flat tail light panel. If you want a pop-open type, you will need to get the '70 Mach 1 version (71 Mach 1 style may also fit). If you want a screw-on, then you have many choices ... both stock and aftermarket.

The only way a '69 GT cap would fit a '70 is if you bought a '70 Mach 1 pop-open as well as the '69 GT and swapped the center caps. Putting the '70 Mach 1 cap on the '69 body would make a correct '69 Mach 1 assy. which you could then re-sell.

Doug

A few more ...

I put the OE type plunger assy on just for pics, the separate cap is how I'm going to run it for obvious safety reasons.

I was curious as to how they put tension on the cap w/o the spring loaded plunger and you can see the added torsion spring on the lower pivot that now puts tension on the closed cap to keep it from rattling.

Definitely not as much tension as the OE plunger, but enough that I'm happy with their safety upgrade that Ford demanded of them (Scott Drake) in order to reproduce any of the pop-open gas caps.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

Thinking of ordering one of these billet aluminum ones... can it go on after the filler neck is already in place or do I have to pull all of it out? Not sure if it goes on like the originals.

these twist on. You have to remove most of the pop-open assembly to get it to fit.

Based on the feedback here I went ahead and took the plunge as well. Ordered from CJP -- hard to pass up 20% off and free shipping.

Thanks for all of the comments.

I love the smell of numbers being burned off a credit card early in the morning. :lol:

Note: Those of you too young to remember the "knuckle buster" credit cards machines might not get the joke above. Trust me it's FUNNY.

Hey guys I picked one up at a swap on the weekend but it didn't have instructions. I could probably figure it out but I'd rather be sure with my install. Anyone still have their instruction sheet that they could post up here?

Thanks in advance.

Just checked my box and no instructions were included. Just pieces and parts - I imagine it is a remove and replace type of operation. Main choice you have to make is whether or not you go with the spring type cap or use the screw in cap.

Edited by MustangGT