Sign in to follow this  
1969 coupe

Engine and Auto Trans removal tips

This will be my first attempt at pulling an engine and wanted some tips. Going to be getting it ready for shocktower repair or replacement, cowl repair, floor pans, toe boards, probably torque boxes and whatever else needs replacing. It has a 302 with C4. I assume pull the radiator, hoses, electrical connections, exhaust, motor mounts and I know to take lots and lots of pics. Can I or should I pull the motor and trans together? How should I hook up the hoist? I am sure there are things I am not thinking of so feel free to make suggestions, give advice, or helpful tips.

Edited by 1969 coupe

It is quicker to pull the engine and trans together and I would advise using a load leveler. They make balancing it all easier. Otherwise you will need 2 friends pushing down on the back of the engine and trans for it to clear the tunnel. Then you will need to pick the back of the trans over the radiator support to clear it. The load leveler thingy makes it quicker and less likely to destroy things on the way out. And more importantly on the way back in. They are around $30 in your part of the world and worth the cost. With and engine crane and leveler you could pretty much pull it out alone.

Just make sure all your chains and crane etc. is load rated because these engines are heavy and can kill or mame horribly. So take it easy and be safe.

Here was a recent thread about this with the same basic way I do it myself.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=4568&highlight=engine+removal

I just did a engine/trans pull on a 65 thats original and has been in a barn since 1986. I didnt work real hard and was watching a football game. I ate lunch at the beginning of the 1pm game then I got started. I was done early in the fourth quarter and I also pulled the complete exhaust, shifter and all underhood harnesses and hoses as well. Of course I have probably done 3 or 4 dozen pulls, 7 of them Mustangs and I had already taken all of the photos I needed. It's certainly not a race but it gets a lot easier with a little experience. Best of luck and be safe!

Very simple to remove- disconnect everything and pull. That said theres 2 tricks that aren't real obvious. 1 Remove radiator- you'll think you can get the motor out without taking this out (maybe you can) but I have seen many radiators punctured due to this. 2. Drain tranny fluid- you will drain this before you pull motor or WHILE you're pulling it out (as in it will run out the back, all over the floor/firewall etc)

Thanks for the replies. Well I hope it is as simple as everyone has stated. I don't think I can get it done during a football game, maybe by the time the Superbowl get here.

I plan on getting a load leveler before attempting this and unsure where to attach to.

attach to intake bolts/head bolts/ or exhaust manifold bolts. Good sturdy bolts (nothing like a 1/4 bolt or water pump bolt.) Generally a cross pattern (like left rear and right front if you use 1 chain and 2 bolts.) if 4 bolts/2 chains then you hook at all 4 corners. This is common sense but DO NOT GET UNDER THE MOTOR NO MATTER WHAT (while on the lift) I have seen lifts tipp over, seals fail etc. You can then set the motor down (an old tire works great) for further disassembly

Here was a recent thread about this with the same basic way I do it myself.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=4568&highlight=engine+removal

I just did a engine/trans pull on a 65 thats original and has been in a barn since 1986. I didnt work real hard and was watching a football game. I ate lunch at the beginning of the 1pm game then I got started. I was done early in the fourth quarter and I also pulled the complete exhaust, shifter and all underhood harnesses and hoses as well. Of course I have probably done 3 or 4 dozen pulls, 7 of them Mustangs and I had already taken all of the photos I needed. It's certainly not a race but it gets a lot easier with a little experience. Best of luck and be safe!

OH NO!!! You're NOT a NY Giants fan are you FRH? Well, ok if you are I hope you guys beat the Cheese Heads tomorrow cause I don't want to play them next weekend. LOL Bruce

OH NO!!! You're NOT a NY Giants fan are you FRH? Well, ok if you are I hope you guys beat the Cheese Heads tomorrow cause I don't want to play them next weekend. LOL Bruce

NO! I am a Green Bay fan... and as far as NY teams, I like the Jets, <gulp> lol. No, the 65 pull was a few weeks ago, dont even remember which game it was.

...and I always jack the tail up like Buckeye shows an any car without a removable radiator support. Also, its safer to roll the car than the engine hoist with the engine 6 feet in the air. So as soon as I get it clear I jack the pumpkin, remove the stands, and roll the shell back, then lower the engine down. If you want to put the engine somewhere particular, I turn it sideways with a block or two of wood and sit it on the engine hoist legs, leaving the hoist attached and with some tension, much safer.

Bruce I am a GIANTS fan & I hope they beat the Cheese Heads this week.

It's done, took bout 6 hrs. I probably could have got it done quicker if I had a longer boom, where have I heard that before. I don't think that was too bad for my first engine/trans pull. I just wanted to add to anyone else doing this, a fat friend would be helpful. Thanks to all for the tips.

Congrats 69coupe on your pull. As long as you didn't loose any body parts its all good.

I offer my condolences FRH & RPM. My sister and brother-in-law are in deep mourning as well. I'm just glad we don't have to play them this weekend. Now, Mike65, I sure hope we beat you this weekend. Sorry. Go Niners!!! Bruce

Glad you got it out ok, 6 hrs isn't too bad. By needing a fat friend do you mean to push the front of the car down?

Exactly, couldn't quite get my hoist up far enough to get it over. Jacked the rear up but still wasn't far enough to clear. A good learning experience and found something you would enjoy, previous owner patched shock tower like this.

Not bad, congrats! Depends a lot on location, temperature, tools, rust, etc. I was doing tune ups at 11, bought my first car at 12, rebuilt first engine at 16, did motor swaps on weekends with friends. 4 of us did 4 swaps in one day at 4 different locations, 3 ran by the end of the day, 4th needed parts and we ran out of beer. Oh, to be 17 again, lol.

Congrats, you're hooked now!!!

Exactly, couldn't quite get my hoist up far enough to get it over. Jacked the rear up but still wasn't far enough to clear. A good learning experience and found something you would enjoy, previous owner patched shock tower like this.

Yea, I was always the fat friend pushing the front down, lol.

That is just the sort of shit that POs do that really pisses me off. They will find the dumbest way to do something and then do it in a way that makes it damn near impossible to fix. I get one day off a week and I hate spending that fixing other people F ups. Hard enough fixing my own, lol.