Sign in to follow this  
Junior2561

Fastback Trunk Lids - Are they suppose to be below the quarter panel extensions?

It's supposed to be flush. You should be able to adjust the extensions and decklid. I'll find out how hard that is in a few months (LOL!).

M/C

All original parts on my '69 Fastback. Getting everything lined up wasn't that hard. If I can do it, anyone can.

I don’t really know how they should be as it’s hard to find an original undoctored car.

This is a reproduction lid. After some metal work I made it so both sides were simply consistent and hang slightly below both quarter extensions. I would consider it lack of prep.

I could have raised the entire trunk lid (towards the tail panel), but then I would have had to work the rest of the trunk lid (i.e. next to the top side of the quarter extensions and quarter panels) to sit lower to match the other panels. Not a very clean option.

I couldn’t lower the extensions because that would have caused a mismatch at the quarter interface.

I could have cut the entire bottom edge of the trunk lid (or enough to allow both edges to flow in), shifted the flange up and rewelded so that it would line up with the bottom of the quarter extensions. This was probably the cleanest solution to not have it hang below the quarter extensions.

I ended up removing some material from the bottom edge on the passenger side, rewelded the lip (the skin was loose from the edge) then grinded a smooth edge so both sides were consistent. This was a compromise for what looks ok without adding 6 or so more hours of labor.

That’s just my experience with my car and a repop lid.

i couldn't find a good picture. it sits lower by about 0.1"

IMG_4622.jpg

My best guess is that most adjust this when the new gasket is installed and then over time the gasket gets creased and gives a little bit and then the lid drops a bit.

I would much rather notice a bit of mis align than a leaky deck lid.

I had to keep reminding myself during the build that these cars came with minor flaws too.