Sign in to follow this  
gsxrken

For those with aftermarket gauges in original cluster- pic inside

I've seen folks post that some use 5" gauges in the larger center holes, and some have used smaller 3-something" ones.

I have my cluster apart and the two center holes measure 3.77" ID and the smaller outside ones are 2.6" inside diameter. When I look at autometer's site, for example, their 5" gauges are 4-15/16" wide at the bezel. Are you guys using the 5" gauges removing the bezel and finding that the printed part of the gauge face fits nicely in the 3.77" hole, or are you blocking some of the face, or are you doing something different?

web.jpg?ver=13230383520001

autometerscreenshot.tiff

Edited by gsxrken
link

Mike, your thread was what pushed me over the edge but I didn't bookmark it. I love those gauges. Some of the ones out there look like total mismatch ones to me but those are perfect. Thanks for responding. But can you tell me what size they? I see they supplied a rear face mount, but did you have to modify your original cluster somehow? If the original hole is only 3.77 as per my pic, are you saying that that is exactly how wide their bezel is?

Mike, your thread was what pushed me over the edge but I didn't bookmark it. I love those gauges. Some of the ones out there look like total mismatch ones to me but those are perfect. Thanks for responding. But can you tell me what size they? I see they supplied a rear face mount, but did you have to modify your original cluster somehow? If the original hole is only 3.77 as per my pic, are you saying that that is exactly how wide their bezel is?

Here are their drawings link. Their gauges mount in the stock bezel with no modifications. You can leave the stock lens in or out depending on which one you like. I think I will remove my lenses. You just place the gauge in the stock hole and install the bracket. Easy as that. No mods what so ever.

http://newvintageusa.com/nvdimensions.pdf

Edited by LiLMike

Mark Surel from New Vintage is great to work with. They have made many of the 69/70 gauge clusters for folks on this board and have the sizes all in a set and have a lot of different styles. You just let them know what customization you want and they hand make them up in Michigan.

I've almost got mine in, just figuring out the calibration of the speedometer =)

Those new vintage gauges are NICE! I really like how they match up to the originals. Can they be ordered with LED lighting? Like, through the dial lighting? Like the new sport-comp 2 gauges.

They sure can. Their 69 series has through the dial lighting and built in signal indicators and high beam lights. And because they double up the little gauges (Fuel/Temp and Batt/Oil Press) you don't need the Year One cluster or have to put gauges on the pillar or radio bezel. Think of the savings, (LOL).

69408-01installed.jpg

Mike, thanks for "finding" this New Vintage USA outfit. I really dig their gauges.

I really really really like the led lighting I t the sport-comp 2's but hate that I would have to put two gauges somewhere else. What I find very attractive about these new vintage gauges is, like you said, the use of two in one gauges. I want to keep the stock look of the cluster but upgrade the gauges. I will definitely be considering these for the future.

Mike, thanks for "finding" this New Vintage USA outfit. I really dig their gauges.

I really didn't "find" New Vintage. I was reading a past post on here. I forgot who discovered them but they posted a link on here. I just followed up and finally ordered them. I'm finding out how valuable this site is and it's all thanks to everybody sharing our knowledge, discoveries, findings and mistakes...LOL Glad I could pass on the information that was given to me.

Mike

They sure can. Their 69 series has through the dial lighting and built in signal indicators and high beam lights. And because they double up the little gauges (Fuel/Temp and Batt/Oil Press) you don't need the Year One cluster or have to put gauges on the pillar or radio bezel. Think of the savings, (LOL).

69408-01installed.jpg

Where did you find these gauges? I am thinking about replacing my setup for these bc i had to add 2 gauges by the radio for water temp and volts and this like you said fixes that problem.

Found them at cjponyparts. $1200!!! Yikes. I did the conversion to sport comp gauges and was thinking about selling my setup and buying this but even if I got retail for my setup I would be a few 100 short of that. Guess I will just have to wait till I hit the lottery or something lol

Found them at cjponyparts. $1200!!! Yikes. I did the conversion to sport comp gauges and was thinking about selling my setup and buying this but even if I got retail for my setup I would be a few 100 short of that. Guess I will just have to wait till I hit the lottery or something lol

CJ Pony parts is just a distributor for New Vintage USA. I got my entire setup complete with mounting bracket, led lights, spun center hubs and led directional & high beam indicater for about $960. Call New Vintage and talk to their sales rep.

I just went this route- got them yesterday and trial fit them in the cluster.

I think I will put the tach in the right-center hole so my left hand doesn't block the view of it when I'm holding the wheel. Gonna be nice to not have to worry about my knee hitting the little suntach on the steering column.

web.jpg?ver=13271622880001

web.jpg?ver=13271622870001

LilMike - which gauges did you order? I love the silver centers.. great looking gauges

...edit: ok I see you mentioned the 'spun centers' cool.

so how about wiring? i assume you no longer need the printed circuit board - but how easy is it to connect to the original harness? is it all OEM plugs?

Edited by zach69grande

Those look great .. 69 series?

Keep us informed of how the install goes =) Still having to tweak mine.

Yes, their 69 series. I wanted the backlit lighting.

By tweak, what do you mean? I don't like how my two smaller gauges want to sit in the stock spacer. I'll have to find a way to center them in such a way that they will stay there long-term. I don't think holding it where I want it and tightening those two screws on the two ears will stay where I want it when the car gets back on the road.

The wiring is not straightforward. There are plugs to the back of the gauges, but you need to cut the stock harness plug off and figure out what every wire does and splice it to the appropriate gauge harness. The colors are not the same.

But I despise wiring, so YMMV.