Sign in to follow this  
gsxrken

For those with aftermarket gauges in original cluster- pic inside

how much did that kit cost you? thats so awesome!! I think im going this route! keep us posted!

Thanks! They did cost $1199 through a distributor, MuscleRodz. Fairly steep, but US made and warranted and I'd rather pay a living wage then reward some $4 a day, destroy our planet's ecosystem Chinese-made crap. Same reason I won't step inside a Walmart. If enough of your neighbors lose their job, they cant buy anything and eventually yours is next.

I just went this route- got them yesterday and trial fit them in the cluster.

I think I will put the tach in the right-center hole so my left hand doesn't block the view of it when I'm holding the wheel. Gonna be nice to not have to worry about my knee hitting the little suntach on the steering column.

web.jpg?ver=13271622880001

web.jpg?ver=13271622870001

Ken,

Those gauges look awesome. Thanks for sharing.

On mine I have been trying to ge the speedometer working for a month or so. I have a T5 from a 93 mustang that I swapped in and the sender that came with the NV gauges wouldn't fit between the trans tunnel & the Modern Driveline trans support. So I switched out to a 90 degree VOD hall effect sender from Summit. Turns out the sender was bad after rewiring the speedo about 5 times and finally sending back to NV for testing.

So I swapped out to a Stewart Warner Hall Effect sendor hping to have some better luck. So far nothing is working for me. I'm thinking of jacking up the rear wheels and watching the sender spinning so I know it's not the gear.

My dual gas/water temp gauge a re still a little wonky too. The instructions that came with my gauges were old and didn't match the set up I had. They sent a new set of instructions and since I have an American Autowire harness, everthing is clearly marked and matches what the instructions say, but right now my temp gauge acts like a gas gauge, ya know how you shake the car and the gas gauges goes up & down? Well that's what my temp gauge is doing now LOL

Ok, I had a puff of smoke from under the dash last week, the car died, and I had to be towed out of a tunnel last week. Caldecott Tunnel if you're familiar with the Bay Area. Long story short, my printed circuit is now fried and I am on the hunt for a new dash cluster rather than buying a new printed circuit. JME costs a lot and takes a while, Classic Instruments isn't producing these yet, and this looks like a great option. My car is at a local Mustang shop that it was towed to and I don't have a ton of time to research and wait for new parts. The set of gauges above look perfect. I guess a few questions spring to mind:

1. How long did you have to wait?

2. Would this simplify the wiring and completely replace the stock harness?

http://blogs.mustangmonthly.com/6742499/miscellaneous/american-autowires-1970-mustang-classic-update-harness/index.html

Ok, I had a puff of smoke from under the dash last week, the car died, and I had to be towed out of a tunnel last week. Caldecott Tunnel if you're familiar with the Bay Area. Long story short, my printed circuit is now fried and I am on the hunt for a new dash cluster rather than buying a new printed circuit. JME costs a lot and takes a while, Classic Instruments isn't producing these yet, and this looks like a great option. My car is at a local Mustang shop that it was towed to and I don't have a ton of time to research and wait for new parts. The set of gauges above look perfect. I guess a few questions spring to mind:

1. How long did you have to wait?

2. Would this simplify the wiring and completely replace the stock harness?

http://blogs.mustangmonthly.com/6742499/miscellaneous/american-autowires-1970-mustang-classic-update-harness/index.html

New Vintage gauges take about a week to come in after you pick your parts and any customizations. I have the AAW 70 classic upgrade in mine. I was able to have mine wired up and running in a couple of weeks and it was the first time I ever attempted wiring a car. The upgrade kit allows you to run anything you want on your car..electric fan, fog lights, speed sensors todays stereo systems =)

I have everything working and love my gauges, they're the New Vintage 67 series. The ones in the earlier post are the 69 series which are totally sweet but were just a bit out of the price range I wanted to go.

With the new guages you get to get rid of the fickle little constant voltage regulator which is more than likely what puffed up in smoke in your car and fried the printed circuit board. I tried rebuilding my old gauges, getting new regulator but burnt up another circuit board. That's when I decided to go aftermarket. I looked at a bunch of set ups and liked NV the best.

The issues I ran into on my speedometer is probably specific to my car since I have so many mods. The dual gauges was a shop issue and they have it all resolved. They are pretty straight forward in wiring. I'd suggest a separate 12v source & ground for the voltmeter.

Edited by 70mstang

New Vintage gauges take about a week to come in after you pick your parts and any customizations. I have the AAW 70 classic upgrade in mine. I was able to have mine wired up and running in a couple of weeks and it was the first time I ever attempted wiring a car. The upgrade kit allows you to run anything you want on your car..electric fan, fog lights, speed sensors todays stereo systems =)

I have everything working and love my gauges, they're the New Vintage 67 series. The ones in the earlier post are the 69 series which are totally sweet but were just a bit out of the price range I wanted to go.

With the new guages you get to get rid of the fickle little constant voltage regulator which is more than likely what puffed up in smoke in your car and fried the printed circuit board. I tried rebuilding my old gauges, getting new regulator but burnt up another circuit board. That's when I decided to go aftermarket. I looked at a bunch of set ups and liked NV the best.

The issues I ran into on my speedometer is probably specific to my car since I have so many mods. The dual gauges was a shop issue and they have it all resolved. They are pretty straight forward in wiring. I'd suggest a separate 12v source & ground for the voltmeter.

Edited by 70mstang

(cutting and pasting your post to send to the shop owner). It's good to hear the AAW wiring harness works well with that. I think I'll go with the '69 series backlit gauges - those look the best, and around the $1,000 range isn't bad compared to a JME cluster. Midrange price for great quality and original looks? I'll take it. I don't know if they've had any experience with the AAW harnesses but he'll get back to me after the weekend - he seemed somewhat inclined to go the AAW route as well.

Getting excited - this little setback was just the kick in the pants I needed to find this thread and move forward on gauges. Thanks 70mstang and 69stang.com!

(cutting and pasting your post to send to the shop owner). It's good to hear the AAW wiring harness works well with that. I think I'll go with the '69 series backlit gauges - those look the best, and around the $1,000 range isn't bad compared to a JME cluster. Midrange price for great quality and original looks? I'll take it. I don't know if they've had any experience with the AAW harnesses but he'll get back to me after the weekend - he seemed somewhat inclined to go the AAW route as well.

Getting excited - this little setback was just the kick in the pants I needed to find this thread and move forward on gauges. Thanks 70mstang and 69stang.com!

I went with a Mustangs Unlimited fuel sendor unit, yes very easy. Basically put the cork gasket on & twist into place. Knock it tight with some light taps with a hammer. The pole for the sender is sticking out of the middle. I had a new tank and put the sendor in place with the tank out of the car.

The AAW harness has a single wire, tan I believe, that runs through the hole in the trunk to the sending unit. That wire will run all the way from the sending unit to the dash. The NV gauges for our years are probably going to use the dual gauges, Temp & Fuel. The Fuel wire will have a resistor in the line. I believe the wire was red but it has been a couple of months and could have been pink. So wiring to the fuel is the tan wire connecting to the wire with the resistor. Get a good ground and you're in business.

I went with a Mustangs Unlimited fuel sendor unit, yes very easy. Basically put the cork gasket on & twist into place. Knock it tight with some light taps with a hammer. The pole for the sender is sticking out of the middle. I had a new tank and put the sendor in place with the tank out of the car.

The AAW harness has a single wire, tan I believe, that runs through the hole in the trunk to the sending unit. That wire will run all the way from the sending unit to the dash. The NV gauges for our years are probably going to use the dual gauges, Temp & Fuel. The Fuel wire will have a resistor in the line. I believe the wire was red but it has been a couple of months and could have been pink. So wiring to the fuel is the tan wire connecting to the wire with the resistor. Get a good ground and you're in business.

I've got the NPD brass float sender after I had issues with the MU plastic float sender. Thanks again for all the notes - they should prove useful at install time.

Very dumb question, but with your temp gauge/gas gauge issue, you're sure you didn't just reverse the two? If your temp gauge goes up and down when you shake the car but steadily goes down as you drive it . . . might be reversed? If the gas gauge goes up after the car warms up then that's a sure sign. ;)

I've got the NPD brass float sender after I had issues with the MU plastic float sender. Thanks again for all the notes - they should prove useful at install time.

Very dumb question, but with your temp gauge/gas gauge issue, you're sure you didn't just reverse the two? If your temp gauge goes up and down when you shake the car but steadily goes down as you drive it . . . might be reversed? If the gas gauge goes up after the car warms up then that's a sure sign. ;)

I'm Just curious if it is possible to use the original speedometer but replace the other gauges. I think they are all on a circuit board, but I was wondering because the Speedometer is controlled by a cable, right? Could the high beam indicator be wired up outside of the circuit board?

The reason I ask is that I really like the mustang silhouette for the high beam indicator.

I'm Just curious if it is possible to use the original speedometer but replace the other gauges. I think they are all on a circuit board, but I was wondering because the Speedometer is controlled by a cable, right? Could the high beam indicator be wired up outside of the circuit board?

The reason I ask is that I really like the mustang silhouette for the high beam indicator.

I am very fond of the running horse too. Mark w/NV told me that he was in negotiations with Ford to see if he could offer the running logo .. he was thinking it was a while off when I was getting mine. Heck I'd replace my speedo with a new one if they could offer one =)