Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Cheap repro Shaker Scoop

I meet someone over the weekend who had several Mustang parts for sale. One of the items was a total complete NEW Shaker system for $350. Boy, I was excited to get that.

I quickly became very:sad: disapointed, I found that it was all molded plastic even the breather cover as well as the scoop. I remember my 69 Mach 1 had an aluminum or cast metal scoop and metal breather. This repro was nothing but plastic and fiberglass.

Is this the only material used in making repro Shaker systems??

Do all venders have this same set up that their selling fo close to $500.

They should all be embarrassed to ask so much for so little. When I picked up the scoop it almost blew out of my hand because it was so lite.

I know that an original setup would put it close to $1000, so I can't afford that.

Does anyone know who makes a halfway decent shaker system.

That's exactly what the guy was selling. All fiberglass. Yes, I could of gotten a good deal, but it just didn't feel right handing out all that money for a fiberglass one. I just had my 9" rebuilt for $400. Now, that's something I didn't mind spending that much money on. I see you have one installed on your car. Is it original, if not how do you like the fit and look of the fiberglass ones.

Mike,

I like the write on the Homemade Shaker Scoop, Thanks!

I was wondering if the flat panel he fabricated was angled on the filter base.

If I'm starting from nothing, I'd still need the Scoop and Scoop gasket, that in it's self is costly. NPD has a cast aluminum Shaker hood scoop for $324. Actually it comes close to the complete repro set that I could of got for $350. Maybe I should of bought the repro. I'm just so mad of the plastic cheap quality. I feel like buying a Boss Scope on eBay for $141.00

That's exactly what the guy was selling. All fiberglass. Yes, I could of gotten a good deal, but it just didn't feel right handing out all that money for a fiberglass one. I just had my 9" rebuilt for $400. Now, that's something I didn't mind spending that much money on. I see you have one installed on your car. Is it original, if not how do you like the fit and look of the fiberglass ones.

I don't think the scoop itself is fiberglass, only the base piece. Here is a link to just the scoop on their site, and it says it's metal (alloy).

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-shaker-top-scoop-1969-1970/p/SHKRTS/

It might be worth it to call them and ask. If the kit version includes a fiberglass scoop, maybe they can substitute it for the metal version?

The one on my car is the original from Ford.

Edited by Powershift

The late model scoop is metal and is nearly identical to the 69-70. I got mine and the adapter for $200 shipped.

you should post a pic of your scoop for comparison. i've seen some cars out there where the shaker setup looked really bad. maybe there are some good reproduction setups out there that are good enough that i didn't know they were fake.

this is an original scoop (not the paint and base)

IMG_5703.jpg

IMG_5702.jpg

IMG_5520.jpg

You can tell a fake scoop, because it's as lite as a paper plate, no joking. I felt no weight to it when I was holding it. I remember my first Mach 1 Shaker felt and weighed more like an aluminum value cover.

I'm sure there are different MFG's out there that have different composition in their molds, but the one I checked out was super lite weight.

Thinking of a Boss 429 Scoop?

Thanks for the info, but that part is way to expensive for me at this point of the build.

The problem is if you want to go cheap... don't expect top get an accurate/top quality shaker assembly. You already found out what happens when you do.

Looking at the late model scoop next to yours I do see a difference in the leading edges. The original is tapered to a knife edge while the late model is more blunt and flat-edged. I may try and improve on that once I strip it the wrinkle finish. For my budget, I am going to try and make it work.

I bought one of the complete repop units from obsolete classic ford out of oklahoma city for 489$. Yes I would love to have the original setups, but couldnt justify spending the kind of chilli required to get one. My car is not a Mach I, I don't plan on selling it, and only .5 % of mustang fans will know the difference ( read Buckeye ). Plus I don't expect anyone leaning over my hood to rap on my scoop to see if it's alloy. On the other hand if all those previous statements were the opposite, as in original Mach I, planning on selling it,etc. Then it'd be a different story, original all the way.

Upon first glance of the unit I'd say not to shabby, now I haven't actually ever laid hands on an original, but from the awesome pics that our master Buckeye posts, I'm actually pleased with the setup. Maybe I'll say different once I actually get to use it, only time will tell!:innocent:

master Buckeye

1. please don't put master in front of buckeye.

2. i wrote some setups look bad (my opinion). 99% of my car is incorrect and i'm sure people say is just wrong. also note that i've made similar statements about the fact that few people really know how incorrect the shaker base of mine really is.

thanks.

Just thought I'd throw my 2-cents into this thread. My Mach 1 came with the non-functional hood scoop with turn signal indicators and is still that way. I use to want a shaker for it but the cost of an OEM assembly is too high. Plus the motor still has to breath through a 13" diameter filter. Why did Ford always use such small air filters? I have only seen the aftermarket assemblies and they look (visual appearance only) nice. Here is goes, I'm not looking for a debate, this is only my opinion, adding an original shaker to a Mustang that did not come with one from the factory will look great but doesn't really add value to the car. With that in mind, if I was serious about wanting a shaker assembly I would likely go with a reproduction. Plus, with a reproduction there is less weight shaking around on top of the carburetor.

I respect your opinion.

I understand your point and well taken. I agree, why put an original shaker on a non shaker car. The reason why I posted this thread, is that I use to own a 69 Mach 1 428 CJ and was use to the original shaker version. I was taken back when I saw the repro for the first time. I was under the impression that the original shaker material was the same as the ones being sold now.

I was seaking other member opinions and experiences with the repro.

I wanted to know if there was an original version still being made and sold. I know now if there was one it would be too expensive for my build. I also found out that 95% of the shakers that are repro's are molded fiberglass.

That's why an attempt to build one caught my eye.

I might by a repro or I might get a 429 Boss scoop or make my own. It's my car and I'll do what I want with it.

This is only my opinion please don't take it personally, as always I am open to everyones opinion.

Thank You.

I recall quite a few years ago when the repro units came out there was actually a place that sold ones with metal bases, but I haven't seen or heard of this company in quite some time. The shaker kits were about double the price (around $800ish back then), but never really got any feedback on them.

1. please don't put master in front of buckeye.

My intention in that comment was to be complimentary, but I'll refrain from such wierd admiration and apologize just to be sure, sorry there buckeye. I'm just sayin... If I could produce such nice work....that would be " wicked awesome! "

Yeah , prayers1..., no harm, no foul for sure. I'm just hoping to have a nice looking low dollar car when I'm done. If it happens to look like a 428cj badass even better! Like you said, "it's my car and I'll do what I want with it"

Thanks

prayers1,

I understand it's your car to build the way you want. My post wasn't intended to influence your build decisions and I apoligize if it read that way. I try to provide input based on my experience and knowledge.

Thanks

I believe the all/mostly metal repro shakers are/were made in Australia and IIRC they were originally intended for the the Aussie Falcon which originally had a 351c so I'm guessing that they didn't fit the 351w, 302 or big blocks exactly right, I do not remember if they offered differnt versions for anything besides the 351c or not and the cost was actually quite high, what with shipping costs to the US and tarriffs/taxes and what not, however if you really wanted one I'll bet they are still available from Oz.

I'll see if I can come up with a link or something for you guys.

ok here's a link or two.

http://www.superoo.com.au/shaker.html

http://www.fomoco.com.au/Shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=50

I think you could probably use the individaully available pieces from the second link to make a very nice repro shaker without going all out and buying a complete setup in metal. for example, you could use your stock air cleaner base, add their shaker ring and scoop in metal and use fiberglass for the remainder of the pieces. just a thought

ok here's a link or two.

http://www.superoo.com.au/shaker.html

I think you could probably use the individaully available pieces from the second link to make a very nice repro shaker without going all out and buying a complete setup in metal. for example, you could use your stock air cleaner base, add their shaker ring and scoop in metal and use fiberglass for the remainder of the pieces. just a thought

Thats exactly what i was thinking of! I do wonder how the bases compare to originals for our cars. Any Aussies on the board with experience with them? Lol

Those guys make the conversion ring I bought from Leon. Their alloy scoops look true to the original as well with smooth finish and knife blade leading edges. Other than price I cant tell the difference between their metal scoops SHAKTOPG and SHAKTOPG1.

If interested, you might contact Leon at FordRamAir. Although much of his listed shaker products are fiberglass I think he may be a US dealer/distributor for some of the Aussie products.

http://www.fordramair.com/new/products/shakers.htm

Edited by miketyler