Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Are Marti Reports always right?

I just got my Marti report in:

It says I have Power Steering, it would be GREAT, but I don't.

The Steering box itself is manual, no under the frame brackets either.

Also what's the Sport Decor Group & Visibility Group.

I have a driver's sport mirror, NO Passenger, Hood Scope turn signal and the Park Brake Light, but NO seat belt warning light. I also have the fold down rear seat

I took the interior all a part, NO Build Sheet.

63A Mustang Sportsroof

I Lime Gold Paint, Ford #2041-A

2A Black Kiwi Vinyl Standard Bucket Seats

31K Scheduled For Build: October 31, 1968

51 Denver Ordering District

2 2.75 Standard Axle Ratio

1 Three-Speed Manual Transmission

DEALER#: 76A005

Your vehicle was ordered with the following features:

Sports Décor Group

Three-Speed Manual Transmission

Visibility Group

E78X14 Tires

White Sidewall Tires

Sport Deck Rear Seat

Power Steering

AM Radio

Tinted Glass-Complete

That's a tough question to answer accurately but my guess would be that odds are better that the reports are right and the cars themselves are what's wrong in cases of conflict. I've seen cars where the dash Vin, the door plate and the inner fenders all told a different story and some cases were none of them were right for the car. What info did you give to kevin to go by and does any of it seem to match your car to the best of your knowledge?

I gave the vin, same number on door and dash. The car is primer, but the trunk and around the inside of the door is a greenish/gold color. The motor, trans and rear has been changed as well as the interior by the former PO's.

By far it is not a numbers matching car, but it is interesting to know it's history. I'm just confussed why the report says PS when it's now manual. Why would a PO change a good option?

The report says:

Black Kiwi Vinyl Standard Bucket Seats. Does that mean, black seat with Kiwi trim? I believe that seats are from some other year Mustang, but the folddown rear seat looks original, it is all black. Does it also mean that the back seat should be Kiwi. I never seen an interior with Kiwi seats. What would be Kiwi on my vehicle.

A lot of stuff happens to cars over 40 years especially with numerous owners. Have youo pulled the fenders and looked for the numbers on the inner fenders to see if they match? The whole clip including steering could have been replaced at one time, the power could have swapped for some bizarre preference etc...

Kiwi is the vinyl pattern of the inserts.

Back in the late 60s my friend had a 65 Comet Cyclone with power steering. The power steering went out and it cost more to fix it than to convert it to manual steering. He did the manual conversion and traded it in on a new Mustang in 71. Just goes to show you that things aren't as always as they seem.

Visibility group included map light, locking glove box, parking brake light, ignition light, and trunk light.

I can't verify it's accuracy but I saw in another thread that Sport Decor Group included non-functional hood scoop, racing mirrors, pinstriping, rocker mouldings, and whitewall tires.

It sounds like your car is a sportsroof that came with a standard interior and was ordered with Mach I style exterior options.

Edited by 69RavenConv

I have the 2 A interior- the sides of the seats are smooth normal looking vinyl, the kiwi part is the center section of the seat (the insert as pakrat has said) The Kiwi part looks like smooth vinyl with heavy wrinkles imprinted in the vinyl (like a texture not just printed) The back seat should be the same. NPD has a pic in their catalog that you can see pretty good.

Since the Marti reports are generated from orginial Ford Motor Company documentation I would think unless there was is an error in the VIN number the report would be correct.

OK.

Can someone tell me the difinition of:

Sport Decor Group & Visibility Group

I don't know off hand. But you might want to invest in some books such as Mustang Recognition Guide. Yes, old school books, informative text and pictures printed on paper. I have a few different books for Mustangs, they contain alot of information. They are a good source when you are looking for how these cars were originally built, options, powertain combinations, etc.

Edited by 1969 Mach1

I got my Marti report the other day. Was or seemed accurate. I also went to the NC dmv to have a title search done. I was hoping to find out about the history on the car and possibly find some original parts to it. Only cost me $10 bucks. Maybe you can do this to find out whats going on with yours.

Thanks for all the info.

I do have the newest copy of NPD and did check the interior vinyl.

Did I have a dumb moment, I thought Kiwi was a color not a type of fabric. I was thinking since my car exterior was Lime Gold, I thought that the seats had a gold Kiwi color in the center. That would of been cool!

The new NPD Catalog has a really nice red Mach 1 on its cover.

Edited by prayers1

I am 99% sure that the Sports Appearance Group was just the Hood Scoop & Color-Keyed Racing Mirrors (no stripes or other trim). If you have just a drivers side racing mirror, your passenger door was probably replaced at one time and the mirror was not transfered over or was broken and not useable ... pot-metal bases crack & break rather easily just from slamming the door, so any kind of accident that wrecked a door would likely of broken the mirror.

Seat belt light is in the dash cluster in the fuel & temp gauge pod (since your car did not have a Factory Tach). It is a separate bulb socket on the end of green/purple wiring that runs over to the fuse box area. A time delay relay should be at the end of this wiring and is screwed to the firewall ... relay is the elongated silver box in the lower left of the pic.

Doug

Stangs-R-me, Your right, after pulling off both door panels, I see that the drivers side door is original and the passenger has been replaced.

I still haven't located the elongated relay. Is this the one that pulgs into the back of cluster panel. If I have the visibility group, could I have it w/o the seat belt wire or is it part of the package.

Visibility group included map light, locking glove box, parking brake light, ignition light, and trunk light.

I don't know but I guess I had a brain fart ... Seat Belt light IS NOT part of the Visibilty Group it is a completely separate option ... 69Raven's got it right.

Your Marti Report makes no mention of the Deluxe Seat Belts (chrome bezels on buckles) with Reminder Light option so you are not going to find that relay or the seat belt light harness !!

Doug

Look at the bottom of the frame rail where the power steering ram attach's. If there are Nut zerts in the frame, it at one time had it. If the car was manual from the begging there would be none there and just the two holes.

Talked to a friend of mine yesterday. A guy he knows sent his Mach1 to a restoration shop here in Indianapolis to be completely redone. It has a 351w with auto. As the shop began to tear it apart, they found a clutch pedal tied up under the dash. Confused, they checked the numbers and ran a marti Report. Come to find out, the guy has an orginal R Code! Needless to say, the shop is restoring it to orginal as per Marti Report.

I got concerned when Armond said to check if there are Nut Zerts under the frame for the Power Steering Bracket. Well I finally had a chance today to crawl under and see. I'm glad to see that they are there. I almost thought that maybe the frame was replaced.