Sign in to follow this  
LiLMike

AAW Project

Just thought I would start my project thread. I have a 69 Mach1 that the PO hacked and butchered the wiring. I'm in the process of getting everything together to install my American AutoWire harness. I hate to do things twice so after disassembly of the interrior, I will be upgrading a lot of different things. While I have it apart, I will be installing dynamat, Classic AutoAir A/C, New gauges, led lights, new door panels, new alternator, repairing the seat upholstery, installing a stereo system and replacing anything I have taken apart with new or refurbished items. When it is all said and done I don't want to take anything else apart in the interrior. I will begin in a couple of weeks but right now I want to make a list of what I have for you to look over and see if I have forgotten anything. I do have all the necessary tools and supplies: Crimpers, heat shrink, splices, tie straps, rubber grommets, wire loom, clamps etc, so here is a list of parts/items I'll be installing. Please let me know if I have overlooked anything and I'll be posting pictures along the way and asking any specific questions in the Technical Fourm.

1. AAW Wire Harness - Since AAW uses different color wires from stock, I'll be retracing one of my schmetics with the installed color felt tip pen.

2. Classic AutoAir A/C - Still have to order, waiting on a holiday sale

3. Stereo - Stock radio upgraded with MP3 input. Have a power antenna. Still need speakers, amp and speaker wire. Not sure what gauge wire or how much. Want to locate the amp under the rear seat with a dual speaker in the dash and 2 rear speakers in the package tray.

4. 100 amp 1 wire alternator and bracket with 200 amp inline fuse.

5. Door Panels - still have to order but do have metal cups and new courtsy light.

6. New window cat whiskers. Glass is lose and rattling. Thought I would replace whiskers. The wind lace & weatherstripping looks good. Is there anything else inside I need to look at?

7. New gauges from New Vintage USA Gauges complete with senders and LEDS.

8. LED bulbs for radio, shifter, clock, courtsy lights, sail panel lights, heater/ac control and under dash lights. No dome light installed. Perhaps when I redo the headliner at a later date.

9. Need to refurbish gauge & clock bezel. Have new radio bezel. Console is good to go.

10. Need new knobs for lights, wipers, radio and heater controls.

11. All new screws and hardware to reassemble.

12. Still undecided on relocating battery to trunk. I do not take the Mach to the track so not sure of any advantages for a street machine except for making room in the engine bay.

13. Electronic ignition upgrade with new coil to eliminate balast resistor.

14. Still need an A/C middle dash vent. Can't find one anywhere except on ebay for $400. YIKES!!!!

15. HUGE supply of aspirin, Aleve, band aids and BEER!!!!!

I probablly forgot something. CRS sets in at my age! I'll keep updating this post as I take pictures and share any information I discover along the way. Thanks for everybody's help so far.

Edited by LiLMike

Sounds like a good plan!

If your car didn't have AC to begin with, the Classic Air package should have all of the vents you need. You'll have to cut out the rectangle in the middle but they supply the vent itself. It's one of the upgrades I am looking at maybe next year.

Also it's good that your doing the AC at the same time since the AAW doesn't have a connector in their package that hooks directly to the factory heater switch, but the A/C connector replaces the original connector.

Sometines the AAW instructions got confusing for me but I have been able to get her up & running, piece by piece.

I'm working on my New Vintage gauges now. I found that the electronic sending unit for the speedo doesn't have enough room with my T5 in the tunnel so trying to figure out how to get the speedo to work or else I need to send it back and change out to a stock cable and new speedo to go with it.

I have an FMX Auto so I should have no problem with the speedo sending unit. My car is an A/C equiped car so I already have all the holes and such. The PO put one of those cheap dash pad covers on the dash...Well, I peeked under there and know why. The origional dash pad is trashed and he removed the middle A/C dash vent. he also removed the compressor and all A/C mounting brackets. I have a new dash pad with factory A/C from ford tooling. I just need that middle A/C vent. I'll probably install the air box under the dash and all the vents while I have the dash out. I'll finish up installing all the engine bay stuff when I get to me engine rebuild after this project. I have looked over the AAW instructions and they are really not step by step but look pretty easy to figure out. Not sure how I want to route all my wiring yet. I may stick pretty close to stock wire routing but thinking about hiding some of the engine bay wiring. Not sure how that will work out. I really haven't looked at where I can run the wires. Everything will have the split wire loom on them (not that cheap plastic stuff). I may have to order more....I just got a little but in various sizes to see what I actually need when I get started.

Just thought I would start my project thread. I have a 69 Mach1 that the PO hacked and butchered the wiring. I'm in the process of getting everything together to install my American AutoWire harness. I hate to do things twice so after disassembly of the interrior, I will be upgrading a lot of different things. While I have it apart, I will be installing dynamat, Classic AutoAir A/C, New gauges, led lights, new door panels, new alternator, repairing the seat upholstery, installing a stereo system and replacing anything I have taken apart with new or refurbished items. When it is all said and done I don't want to take anything else apart in the interrior. I will begin in a couple of weeks but right now I want to make a list of what I have for you to look over and see if I have forgotten anything. I do have all the necessary tools and supplies: Crimpers, heat shrink, splices, tie straps, rubber grommets, wire loom, clamps etc, so here is a list of parts/items I'll be installing. Please let me know if I have overlooked anything and I'll be posting pictures along the way and asking any specific questions in the Technical Fourm.

1. AAW Wire Harness - Since AAW uses different color wires from stock, I'll be retracing one of my schmetics with the installed color felt tip pen.

2. Classic AutoAir A/C - Still have to order, waiting on a holiday sale

3. Stereo - Stock radio upgraded with MP3 input. Have a power antenna. Still need speakers, amp and speaker wire. Not sure what gauge wire or how much. Want to locate the amp under the rear seat with a dual speaker in the dash and 2 rear speakers in the package tray.

4. 100 amp 1 wire alternator and bracket with 200 amp inline fuse.

5. Door Panels - still have to order but do have metal cups and new courtsy light.

6. New window cat whiskers. Glass is lose and rattling. Thought I would replace whiskers. The wind lace & weatherstripping looks good. Is there anything else inside I need to look at?

7. New gauges from New Vintage USA Gauges complete with senders and LEDS.

8. LED bulbs for radio, shifter, clock, courtsy lights, sail panel lights, heater/ac control and under dash lights. No dome light installed. Perhaps when I redo the headliner at a later date.

9. Need to refurbish gauge & clock bezel. Have new radio bezel. Console is good to go.

10. Need new knobs for lights, wipers, radio and heater controls.

11. All new screws and hardware to reassemble.

12. Still undecided on relocating battery to trunk. I do not take the Mach to the track so not sure of any advantages for a street machine except for making room in the engine bay.

13. Electronic ignition upgrade with new coil to eliminate balast resistor.

14. Still need an A/C middle dash vent. Can't find one anywhere except on ebay for $400. YIKES!!!!

15. HUGE supply of aspirin, Aleve, band aids and BEER!!!!!

I probablly forgot something. CRS sets in at my age! I'll keep updating this post as I take pictures and share any information I discover along the way. Thanks for everybody's help so far.

"CRS" never heard anyone use that term before besides my wife & I, thats awesome.:thumbup1:

Thanks again Mike. I picked this up for $81. That is the cheapest I have seen them. Now to get it and send it in along with my instrument and clock bezels to get the plastic chrome done.

Wow $81, I have the entire dash with bezel on ebay for .99 cents and no one has made a bid with 4 days to go. I think I might pull it and just keep it as a spare.

They have been selling for over $100.

Just hang in there Lemon. I have listed things on there and usually don't get any bids until the end. I listed a steering wheel on there for $50 and ran it for 7 days. No bids till day 6 then it skyrocketed! hang in there. if that doesn't work, then list them seperate and see what happens.

Ok...Got up enough nerve to start this project. Car is up on dollys and I have most of the parts. There are a couple more things I still need. Here are some starting photos. I pulled the plastic dash cover off the pad and the PO had used silicone to hold it down and with only 1 screw! If the dash is any indication, you can tell what my wiring looks like!

Ok...Got up enough nerve to start this project. Car is up on dollys and I have most of the parts. There are a couple more things I still need. Here are some starting photos. I pulled the plastic dash cover off the pad and the PO had used silicone to hold it down and with only 1 screw! If the dash is any indication, you can tell what my wiring looks like!

Hey that's one more screw than my PO left me!:yes:

Does the AAW kit replace all the factory wiring or can you just replace the main under dash harness? I have a replacement factory tach harness from a Cougar, but the wires were still made back around '69 so the insulation may be brittle and I may end up with another short after installing it. If that happens, I may consider the AAW kit. Do you know which if any factory connectors must be re-used? Thanks in advance.

Does the AAW kit replace all the factory wiring or can you just replace the main under dash harness? I have a replacement factory tach harness from a Cougar, but the wires were still made back around '69 so the insulation may be brittle and I may end up with another short after installing it. If that happens, I may consider the AAW kit. Do you know which if any factory connectors must be re-used? Thanks in advance.

I am really not sure. I have looked at the kit but really haven't opened it nor started work. I am still in the disassembly stage and things got put on hold for the holidays. I want to repair and clean up a lot of things before I begin the wiring. The kit replaces all the factory wiring. I'll update this post as I continue with this install. I do know that you have to terminate quite a few wires and I purchased their recommended crimpers. There are 2 of them and they go for about $100 each. I wanted it done right and was scared to use different ones after reading a lot about the kits & installes. I do know that the kit uses its own wire colors where the painless kit uses the stock wire colors. The AAW comes with some new switches where the painless kit didn't. I'll just use some colored felt tip markers to change the wire colors on the schmetics as I do the install.

Did some work today. Removed the Dash and both bezels along with the console. No real troubles but I did notice the PO used some dry wall screws to reassemble the dash when he had it apart. What was he thinking? Inspected some more of his wiring. It looks like he jury rigged something in the back of the gauges. The pic is of a wire he ran on the back. Also a large screw is missing from the bracket in the back of the dash frame and the others were loose! I have a lot of cleaning to do as you can see. There is also a missing map light in the clock bezel.

IMG_0297.thumb.jpg

IMG_0298.thumb.jpg

IMG_0299.thumb.jpg

IMG_0300.thumb.jpg

IMG_0301.thumb.jpg

I think this is pretty typical. Although all deluxe panels have a grill for a map light, very few actually had the light itself.

I thought that too until I looked and saw what looked like there was a light there at one time. There are thread marks in the holes and scratches where the light would mount.

Well, I finally resumed this project. My old body just couldn't handle the cold weather. I have the entire dash and interrior removed. all the floor pans look clean. This is a california car so no rust. Only real problem is the 40 year old insulation under the dash that is falling apart. Have started to remove that. Got the parking brake assy. out and discovered that I need a new one. The handle is broke off and it is wekded on so I'll be looking for another one. I removed the under-dash wiring harness and was shocked. Another victim of a PO!!! I discovered that the wires from the coil, temp and oil pressure sending units that run through the firewall have been spliced into. The PO replaced a section of all 3 of these wires with some 4 conductor 22 gauge phone wire!!! He then crimped spliced the phone wire in the engine bay but left them open. He didn't seal or insulate them. There are some bare wires showing also. Under the dash he connected them using a wire nut and duct tape!!! More bare wires showing. This is just a fire trap waiting to happen!! Got all the harness removed and will start removing the insulation after I remove the speedometer cable. I have the New Vintage gauges with the electric speedometer so no cable required. Making a list of some small items I need to order so this is still an ongoing project. Wish me luck!

Mike

That's the same reason I decided to go with the AAW kit too, the PO left a fire hazard!

I went with the upgrade kit, in case I wanted to add electric fans or some other aftermarket goodies later on.

My lessons learned, save your old harness until you have everything up & running. I used some of the connectors like the heater plug which AAW doesn't include and the original reverse light harness & license plate light harness. There's probably other things I used and forgot about.

Which New Vintage Guages did you get? I have the 67 series =)

&0Mstang, thanks for the heads up on those connectors. I have the dash harness out but all the other wiring is still in there at the moment. I got the upgrade kit also. I have the 68 series or maybe the 67 I can't remember. have you mounted them yet? I can't get them mounted in my Bezel.

Yep, I've been running mine for about 5 months now I think. They don't actually fit in the bezel but get pressed up to the back. The mounting plates pull everything snug to where they don't move. Kind of like sandwiching the guages between the metal & the bezel and then using the crown looking plastic to press it all together.

Pics

[ATTACH]11345[/ATTACH][ATTACH]11346[/ATTACH]