Sign in to follow this  
t70stang

your experience with fronts discs and rear drum brakes?

I have new front discs and new rebuilt drums on back. Will this be bearable on the street? Or should I shell out the coin for a 9" disc conversion kit? I have a Granada 9" which as far as I know is an inch narrower over all but do not know what bearing it is.

My honest opinion is that for your average car rear discs are over kill and the best reason to get them is if you have large open rims and want it to look pretty and matching more so than for a safety concern. There are modern cars still being built today that have rear drums instead of 4 wheel discs, the front does the majority of the stoping and many people who drive race cars actually prefer rear drums over discs.

I drove with 4 wheel drums for many years, currently my car is being built with a 13" Cobra Disc package up front and I elected to leave the rear with drums. One of my other cars is a 2000 Dodge Dakota that weighs over 5500 lbs and has rear drums, never had any problem bringing it to a stop.

Will this be bearable on the street?

Mustangs came standard with 4 wheel drum brakes (manual) and an option for power front disks and rear drums.

Mine was 4 wheel manual drums and currently has manual front disks & rear drums.

What Pak said. I had a friend at Baer brakes and asked him once at SEMA if I should upgrade my fastback with rear discs on the bro deal. He told me I would be far better off upgrading the discs in front that I already have vs converting the rear.

75% of your stopping power is in front.

Gotta go with Pak on this one. I have stock disc front/rear drum. No issues. But like Pak said, some day when I feel like spending the money on the rear (and not somewhere else on the car) I will convert to rear disc just for the cleaner look through the wheels. But that will probably be after I upgrade the front system.

Many years ago I had a 68 GT Coupe that had the factory power front discs & rear drums & I drove the car for 12 years with no problems. For a street car it should be fine. Put the money towards something else.

my 69 coupe runs/stops great with disc/drum. I redid the drums last year, I plan on going through the front this year - I have no intentions of upgrading but if I do switch to the black 17" bullit rims that I like... the drums might look kinda funny behind them. not funny enough to spend the $$ there when the rest of the car needs so much