Sign in to follow this  
Daves69Coupe

Wiring help

Can someone help me identify some of these wires?

The first pic is of what I believe is a ground wire from the dash, what is it for?

The second pic is of misc wiring from the dash, what are these connections for?

And the 3rd pic is of the alternator , I wanna make sure I have it wired correctly.

My opinion is-

1st photo- ground wire to upper part of lower dash.

2nd photo- Is that the gas pedal to the left? It looks like it goes to the fan blower switch.

Anyone correct me if I wrong.

so if that ground isnt connected none of the switches or ignition will work on the dash then right?

This is probaly why the dome light wouldnt go off when i switched it on the light controls and why nothing happened when I put the ignition in accessory.

Yep, #1 is the ground wire that is screwed to the upper part of the lower dash near the end. There should be a screw hole for this. This will affect most everything in the dash harness IIRC. 2nd photo appears to be the connectors for the A/C blower. Do you have A/C?

Alternator: The posts should be labeled on the housing. There should be a B+ post, which is the main charge feed (thick black wire). The Orange wire from the F post of the voltage regulator goes to the F post on the back of the alternator. Then the G post is the ground, which should be a Black/Red wire to ground. The location I'm not sure of but I think it is also part of the voltage regulator harness. Pretty much, if you buy an alternator harness it has a molded plug that won't let you wire it incorrectly. The alternator harness also has the connector for the voltage regulator.

The only wire that is thicker from my memory is the B+ wire, which does NOT go through the voltage regulator. There is a thicker blackish purplish wire that, on my 1970, is part of the underdash harness that runs across the firewall and towards the alternator. There is a male/female connector that connects to the alternator harness, which one of the wires is the thicker gauge black wire and the other is a thinner green/red wire that goes to the voltage regulator. Don't quote me but I think the black wire is 10ga stranded wire for a stock 60a alternator. This thicker wire goes back a splice near the center of the firewall where it joins the thicker black wire that goes on the positive post of the starter solenoid. That splice also goes to a yellow wire and a black/yellow wire (on my 70 at least, might be different color on 69) that in turn goes to the instrument cluster connector (yellow wire). The black/yellow wire goes to the ignition switch and the light switch IIRC. They all end up going back to the fuse block, which is the main power source IIRC. Been awhile since I've messed with my harness.

I know you've done all this wiring, but I still recommend buying the alternator harness since you still have the factory alternator and voltage regulator.

Also, I noticed the 1969 alternator harness has a three-prong plug instead of the two prong that I mentioned. Just another 69/70 difference!

$%28KGrHqYOKpUE24ueo-vlBN2IMtI6wQ%7E%7E_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Mustang-Cougar-non-tach-alternator-wiring-harness-/390316261416?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae0a98028

Do you have a tachometer by chance? That diagram is for one with a tachometer, as it has the extra wire for the tachometer.

Black wire should be 38 and possibly 38A. The 69 may have used a black/yellow instead of the black. Sorry I'm knowledgeable in mainly 70 cars, and wiring is something that is just a tad bit different.

There is no + wire from the alt to reg.

The + alt wire goes directly to the + side of the sol only.

In the pic Buening supplied,

The large black wire is alt +

The orange wire is field.

the small blk/red is ground and in the plug goes to volt reg ground.

Yes, the diagram posted was definately for a 69 with a tach. The photo shown later looks correct for 69 alt harness. In 69, it connected to the engine wiring harness and connected to the dash harness by the fusebox. You can build your own, but you better get it right or you can destroy an alternator easily.

Do you have a tachometer by chance? That diagram is for one with a tachometer, as it has the extra wire for the tachometer.

Black wire should be 38 and possibly 38A. The 69 may have used a black/yellow instead of the black. Sorry I'm knowledgeable in mainly 70 cars, and wiring is something that is just a tad bit different.

I dont have a tachometer.

That circled is the lead to the wiper motor, which is mounted to the inside of the cowl. In your pic on post #15, that is the group of wires that has the square 4-prong connector for your neutral/backup wiring for the transmission. The other square 4-prong goes to the wiper motor harness that you circled in the previous post #17

That circled is the lead to the wiper motor, which is mounted to the inside of the cowl. In your pic on post #15, that is the group of wires that has the square 4-prong connector for your neutral/backup wiring for the transmission. The other square 4-prong goes to the wiper motor harness that you circled in the previous post #17

ok that makes since that it would be wiper motor.

the transmission connection is 3 prong from my trans

I believe theres 3 prong connection on those group of wires though.

What transmission are you using?

The 3-prong in that cluster of wiring is for the gauge sending feeds and coil wire. They are the coil wire, temp sending unit, and oil sending unit. All transmission wiring I've seen has been square four prong. Two of the four are the neutral safety wires, which I think are jumpered on a manual trans car (could be mistaken!).

Yup, they are jumpered. Here is a pic of the backup light switch for a 4spd toploader:

$%28KGrHqR,%21hwE2JC,8hQVBNvKg%28PS+g%7E%7E_12.JPG

If you are using a C4/C6/FMX, the harness will look something like this:

$%28KGrHqN,%21jME2H1kCqZgBNviF7Bqq%21%7E%7E_3.JPG

You will have a separate single bullet wire for the shifter light, assuming its an auto car

So i worked on more of the wiring last night and what I discovered is the following:

Problem 1:

I bolted the ground for the lower dash, put the + on the battery, dome light on, pull the light switch, ignition light comes on, I turn the light switvh and dome light stays on. I test the door jamb switch and theres continuity so thats working but dome light still wont go off.

Problem 2: I turn the car in accessory but nothing happens, not sure why until I looked at the ignition switch, which is wired wrong, All the connections are sodered so Im gonna try melting that soder and pulling the connections off. Does anyone now what color 977A should be on the attached pdf.

Problem 3: Also on the attached pdf ive clouded the engine temp switch & oil temp switch, where are these located is there a seperate harness for these?

Problem 4: Theres an arrow for 904 (Violet) I dont have a violet coming from my firewall out.

Edited by Daves69Coupe

You're looking at the wrong schematic. The page you marked up is labeled "...and Tachometer". Since you don't have a tach, use the other page. Tachometer equipped cars replaced the ammeter and oil pressure gauges with idiot lights, in addition to having wiring for the tach, so they have different wiring and senders.

Edited by 69RavenConv

You're looking at the wrong schematic. The page you marked up is labeled "...and Tachometer". Since you don't have a tach, use the other page. Tachometer equipped cars replaced the ammeter and oil pressure gauges with idiot lights, in addition to having wiring for the tach, so they have different wiring and senders.

Ok so I shouldnt have any wiring for the engine temp or oil then?

Theres still 3 other problems to figure out to.