Sign in to follow this  
Hambone

69 Mach 1 revival

Hey fellow Mustangers. I have finally dug out the 69 Mach 1 that I had taken apart 12 years ago and am now on the Highway to hell or at least bankrupsy. I was thrilled to find this site. I have already found a lot of usefull info. I am sure you will get tired of me very soon. There will be lots of dumb questions to come. The car is a 390 C6 with Champagne Gold paint. I don't believe it has the original engine since we pulled it last weekend and it had a 2 barrel carb and was painted redish orange. It needs some front frame work, minor body work and everything else replaced. My plan is to get it to the body shop, sand blasted and then start replacing parts. I will add pic's soon. At 1st I thought this pony was sad but after seeing some of the Pic's on these pages I don't feel so bad.

Here is the pick after I uncovered the 12 years of crap I had stored on top of it. Yes that is the drive shaft I am using as a stop. Like I said above after I got into this thing I was very discouraged but after looking through this site I can only be motivated to come close to some of the projects you guys and gals have done. I am going balls out from here. As long as the wife doesn't see the CC bill.

No problem. I used to go to car events but got so depressed from what I saw I started drinking heavily and decided to fix the house up instead. Now my wife is happy because she has a brand new house. I would love to start talking about cars again and not drywall, and of course a few beers in between can't hurt.

Here are some pic's of the mess I have undertaken. Regarding the last pic who the hell is Henry and why did he stamp his name underneath the trunk lid?

Henry looks like a factory inspector's stamp to me. You should post the pic over on the concours site, they're always interested in factory original markings and such, and might be able to tell you something about it's meaning.

http://concoursmustang.com/

Henry is a very popular paint inspector from the San Jose plant back in the day. Usually you'll find him on the underside of the hood, inner fender lip and cowl area and if not the cowl you might find him on the underside of the deck lid. Cool car, good luck!

Hey Hambone, my project is almost fully disassembled and ready to head off to media blasters, so not a lot to look at right now.

I picked up some stock sheet metal from a guy in Ojai over the weekend though, so if you end up needing a resource for parts I may be able to point you his direction.

What I got was decent originals. I think the guy picked up a number of donor pieces for when he was restoring his own coupe. I really needed the extra hood he had, and also left with a grill, matching fenders, a glove box door and gas cap.

He still had sheet metal, wiring harnesses, dash components, suspension and power steering, coupe doors, window glass, and a bunch of other stuff.

As for media blasting, I will be using Freddie at

A & M Sandblasting

9344 Oso Ave Ste D

Chatsworth, CA 91311

(818) 727-1865

So I have removed the engine(S code 390) and I am trying to find out if it is the original engine or not. I looked at a few web sites for I.D. locations but I don't see anything on this block telling me anything other than "352" numbers on front and back. The thing is painted red/orange so I know somebody did some work on it outside of the car at one time. The carb was a 2 barrel? I know mine should have a 4 barrel so I am leaning toward this being off of something else. Anyone have any insight on how I can solve the mystery?

I think I found my answer. A web site I found noted that a metal tag should have been attached to the Coil attaching bolt. I will have to dig deep in my parts boxes to see if I kept it. I do know for sure that Mach 1's did not come with a 2 barrel carb so that leads me to believe this is a second motor or maybe the P.O. wanted to try and save gas and swapped it while rebuilding.