Sign in to follow this  
danno

new convertible top - which to buy?

It is time for me to consider a new convertible top. There are kits available in the $300 to $400 range. One local shop will install a whole new top for $1200. How difficult are the kits to install? How good are the kits? Are some kits better than others? Other suggestions?

Most of the kits that the vendors are selling are probably from the same supplier, the only real differences would be 1) they ply of the vinyl and 2) plastic curtain vs. glass w/ silicone hinge. As for how difficult that's up to you and how much patience you have and how good you want it to look when you are done. Hopefully I'll finally get around to doing mine this summer, I've had the kit for a few years now and more than one thread on the subject, I'll see if I can dig those up for you with some of the info I have gathered.

Edited by Pakrat

It is time for me to consider a new convertible top. There are kits available in the $300 to $400 range. One local shop will install a whole new top for $1200. How difficult are the kits to install? How good are the kits? Are some kits better than others? Other suggestions?

That price sounds about right if that includes the top and the labor. I had mine replaced after a pole from a garage collapse went through the roof in 2009 and I paid $1,100. The installer had to actually "build up" the front portion to get a tight seal. Also my top frame is a little tweaked, who knows how many tops have been stretched over the same frame.

I spoke with a few shops and the consensus is that Robbins is the way to go. They are the supplier to Ford for their cars, not sure about others. I just got mine out of the shop on Friday after a month. I was missing many parts and it just took time to collect everything. I went with a folding glass, be aware they strongly suggest dropping the glass before the top goes down, it's a PIA so I just leave it down. The cost was astronomical, mostly becasue it needed everything.

I just did mine. I got mine from mustangs unlimited, and I think the quality was fine. I did get the plastic window instead of the glass. If I had the extra money to get it done by a pro, I would have probably bought the glass window. The plastic is fine, it just scratches if you look at it wrong.

I did mine myself. My car had a worn out top as a template, and had the buildup piece at the header that big secz mentioned. The kit came with an extra piece of material that I had to sew with a sewing machine to replace.

I am glad I did it myself even though the top isn't perfect. I probably have a total of 30-40 hours in it, including adjusting a beat up frame. I am certain a pro would have charged extra for some of that adjustment. If you don't currently have a top on the car, it would be much more difficult to do. My advice would be to get it staped and fit with as few staples as possible. You will be stapleing and unstapleing many times. Once it is all fit, you can add all the staples you need.

Things I had to buy, a harbor freight 1/2" crown pnumatic staple gun, coolest $19.99 tool I have, and I get to throw out my:001_9898: spring powered staplericon10.gif. Header (bow #1) tack strip. Well liner, bushings for the ecentric in the top frame.

Good luck!

I did my own top. It was made by Crown who is no longer in business. Maybe it was beginner's luck but it came out great. I actually used a spring powered stapler. It took a little more muscle but it drove the staples fine. I hadn't heard of Harbor Freight back then :)

Everything Bigperm2 posted is good advice, especially about using just a few staples until the top is well-positioned. Like he said, it really helps if the old top is still on the car for reference. It takes a lot of patience - line everything up 3 times, then staple once. Make the wooden template that's in the shop manual. Replace any tack strips that won't hold a staple.

If you don't care about originality, I understand they now make canvas tops for our cars, like present-day Mustangs, instead of vinyl. If I can do it, I'm sure anyone on this forum can do it if they have the time and patience. Good luck!

Edited by 69RavenConv

These suggestions are great. It sounds like I could do it with a kit, but the 30 to 40 bigperm spent scares me a little. The shop I got the estimate from can do it in one day.

I have a top on the car now that is not in too bad of shape, it leaks a bit and the side rails that go between the top and the frame on sides are in bad shape. It could last another 3 or 4 years, it has been on for almost 30 years already. Yes, I did say it is about 30 years old, I guess that is not too bad for an everyday driver 4 months a year.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated, Thanks

Danno

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't begrudge anyone getting a pro to do it. It's tedious and time consuming for sure, and not something you want to mess up.

Part of my goal with my car is to do as much of my restoration as I can myself, so I'm willing to tackle jobs I probably shouldn't. As an example, I'm spending this weekend sanding off the basecoat I messed up last weekend. I was hoping to be finish sanding the clear coat instead, but that's not gonna happen now :hammer: