Sign in to follow this  
MustangMadness

The best carb for 351 windsor?

Holley carbs has a nice little selector program, you can plug in your info and get a recomendation, even if you don't wan't a holley you can use the cfm rating as a guide to consider others, 750cfm would probably be good for you.

Just keep in mind that a car needs to exhale as well as it inhales or it can choke itself with the stock exhaust manifolds and end up a down grade instead of an upgrade.

Most people start with a simple recipe to wake up these stock engines like a new 4V intake and 4v carb, a set of headers and a more aggresive CAM and upgrading the points to an electrical system like pertronix or simillar.

Good luck with the car and welcome BTW.

Holley carbs has a nice little selector program, you can plug in your info and get a recomendation, even if you don't wan't a holley you can use the cfm rating as a guide to consider others, 750cfm would probably be good for you.

Just keep in mind that a car needs to exhale as well as it inhales or it can choke itself with the stock exhaust manifolds and end up a down grade instead of an upgrade.

Most people start with a simple recipe to wake up these stock engines like a new 4V intake and 4v carb, a set of headers and a more aggresive CAM and upgrading the points to an electrical system like pertronix or simillar.

Good luck with the car and welcome BTW.

Pakrat,

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome. I love this country. Proudly served 1 tour in the Marines. I figure nothing says it better than good old american muscle. I look forward to chatting it up on here and getting good advice. Also thanks for fast reply. Along with the carb I was looking at flowmaster exhaust systems. I plan on installing those in tandem. BTW your stang looks sweet.

-Pierre

Edited by MustangMadness

Pakrat,

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome. I love this country. Proudly served 1 tour in the Marines. I figure nothing says it better than good old american muscle. I look forward to chatting it up on here and getting good advice. Also thanks for fast reply. Along with the carb I was looking at flowmaster exhaust systems. I plan on installing those in tandem. BTW your stang looks sweet.

-Pierre

Edited by MustangMadness

Are you new to the country? Where in NJ are you? I have the same car and I have a summit brand 750 (same as holley) and a weiand stealth intake to put on it but Im waiting on a good set of heads and cam. Might just build a 408 stroker and wait. I have full longtubes and x-pipe. Sounds good but the motor is choked up and probally tired.

Are you new to the country? Where in NJ are you? I have the same car and I have a summit brand 750 (same as holley) and a weiand stealth intake to put on it but Im waiting on a good set of heads and cam. Might just build a 408 stroker and wait. I have full longtubes and x-pipe. Sounds good but the motor is choked up and probally tired.

panteramatt,

Lol. No, I'm not new to the country. I just love it. It's funny how some can take it that way. I live in Clifton. Grew up in Woodbridge. I'm in the middle of researching exhausts now. I saw those x pipes on ebay. I want one that sounds good and also performs. This is my first car build so I'm amped.

panteramatt,

Lol. No, I'm not new to the country. I just love it. It's funny how some can take it that way. I live in Clifton. Grew up in Woodbridge. I'm in the middle of researching exhausts now. I saw those x pipes on ebay. I want one that sounds good and also performs. This is my first car build so I'm amped.

Question for Pakrat and others

I had a Holley on the car for 10 or 12 years and never drove it. Maybe had put 200 miles total on the rebuild over that time period. I know, that is a miserable way to treat a mechanical device.

Tech told me Carb developed leak through the point where the shaft mounts to the body of the bowl. Was told, and also read online that Edelbrocks were designed differently and did not have that "problem"

Switched over to Edelbrock and no problems, even with Florida mandatory 10% ethanol.

I am trying hard to drive it more often, but regardless, was that a real design problem, or did I just ruin the Holley by neglect?

Thanks JIM

Question for Pakrat and others

I had a Holley on the car for 10 or 12 years and never drove it. Maybe had put 200 miles total on the rebuild over that time period. I know, that is a miserable way to treat a mechanical device.

Tech told me Carb developed leak through the point where the shaft mounts to the body of the bowl. Was told, and also read online that Edelbrocks were designed differently and did not have that "problem"

Switched over to Edelbrock and no problems, even with Florida mandatory 10% ethanol.

I am trying hard to drive it more often, but regardless, was that a real design problem, or did I just ruin the Holley by neglect?

Thanks JIM

If i recall, The last time i ran a calculator on a lightly modified 351, it called for like a 525 CFM carb, so i simply just figured a 600 would be quite enough, So many times we all over carburate, thinking bigger is better. On say a warmed over 408 a 750 would be adequate.

A friend runs an 800 Holley, and in my opinion its a bit much carb for that motor.

If your looking for out of the box, pain free performance that you dont have to play with alot, with great throttle response and is easy to make adjustments on if you need to i would say go with one of the Edelbrock 600 or 650 CFM performer carbs.

They can be had with electric choke and all the doodads that make for a really good carburetor at a very resonable price.

I have ran a few on my past cars, and have been very satisfied with them, one pump in the morning to set the choke and then just hit the key and away you go.

Yes you may loose say 5 hp over an out of the box holley, its been my experience that you will definatley never have to really tune on the edelbrock.

Not saying you have to always work on a holley, they just seem to always need a bit of maintanance....after all they are a race inspired carburetor in most aspects, and a good one at that.

I wish we could easily install QuadraJets on our fords, they are in my opinion HANDS DOWN the single best carburetor ever made in terms of a great balance of power and reliability. and i love the way they sound when you hit those big secondaries...but if they are built right you dont really hear them :P.

But at the end of the day its what you like not what everyone else recomends....My opinion go with the Edelbrock, i think you will be happy.

Mike

If i recall, The last time i ran a calculator on a lightly modified 351, it called for like a 525 CFM carb, so i simply just figured a 600 would be quite enough, So many times we all over carburate, thinking bigger is better. On say a warmed over 408 a 750 would be adequate.

A friend runs an 800 Holley, and in my opinion its a bit much carb for that motor.

If your looking for out of the box, pain free performance that you dont have to play with alot, with great throttle response and is easy to make adjustments on if you need to i would say go with one of the Edelbrock 600 or 650 CFM performer carbs.

They can be had with electric choke and all the doodads that make for a really good carburetor at a very resonable price.

I have ran a few on my past cars, and have been very satisfied with them, one pump in the morning to set the choke and then just hit the key and away you go.

Yes you may loose say 5 hp over an out of the box holley, its been my experience that you will definatley never have to really tune on the edelbrock.

Not saying you have to always work on a holley, they just seem to always need a bit of maintanance....after all they are a race inspired carburetor in most aspects, and a good one at that.

I wish we could easily install QuadraJets on our fords, they are in my opinion HANDS DOWN the single best carburetor ever made in terms of a great balance of power and reliability. and i love the way they sound when you hit those big secondaries...but if they are built right you dont really hear them :P.

But at the end of the day its what you like not what everyone else recomends....My opinion go with the Edelbrock, i think you will be happy.

Mike