Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Can you identify this wire

I don't believe there are specific harnesses for auto/manual. That plug would just be unused in the manual trans car. The 4 pin connector near it is used for a neutral safety switch on auto and backup light switch for a manual.

I was speaking of the single blue/red stripe.

From what was gathered, it's the shift indicator light for an automatic set.

Is that right? I have a 4 speed, what to do with the wire, just cap it?

As for the 4 into 2 wire, neutral safety (auto), Back up light (manual).

I don't understand-

Make sure you add the jumper wire for the start side of that plug or it will not crank with key.

The back up light switch is on the shifter and connets to the other 2 prongs of that plug.

If I don't have the wires from the shifter. What to do, connect them both at the 2 wire area?????

Look at your colored wiring chart.

Wire 32 is red/blue and 32A is end from key.

The square plug is located just below the starter motor in the diagram.

This jumper wire must be installed for key starting position function to work.

The other wire is 26 black/red is for the back up light switch that is supposed to be mounted on the lower part of the shifter, a push button switch activated by the rev rod/lever of the shifter.

Mach1Rider,

OK, I'm lost!!!!!!!

I'm looking at the digram.

I see the red/blue #32 at the 4 plug, it looks like it loops, but I don't know what that means or what to do with it.

I also see a red/blue #32, going from the engine side firewall to the soleniod.

I see #32A from the other side of the 4 plug going to the (S) terminal of the Ign. Switch.

I see the black/red #26, going form the Volt reg. to the alternator.

If this matters, I'm using a 1 wire alternator set up. I will not be using the volt. reg. wires.

I'm sorry but due to my lack of electrical knowledge, your message is flying over my head. Can you please explain it in a more simple term.

Am I suppose to take a seperate wire and use it as a jumper inbetween the one of the above wires, since I don't have the shifter wires?

Thank you!

The jumper wire is just a short loop of wire that needs to be plugged in from side to side of the 4 prong plug. This completes the start loop that would have gone thru the Neutral saftey switch on auto's.

The back up lights are off the shifter like the pic here.

If your not going to use the lights, just leave it blank.

Factory stick harness for back up lights had the jumper connector molded into the mating 4 plug going to the shifter.

Edited by Mach1Rider

Mach1Rider, Thank you for the FAST reply.

Thanks for the pic of the shifter, I see what your talking about. Presently my 4 spd is in the shop. I didn't recall that part when I pulled it out.

Here's a picture of my 4 into 2 wire as it was found pluged into the wire coming out of the firewall. The PO had it set up like that with the 2 wirec cut off. This is one of the reasons why I don't know where they go.

th_Mustangenginewires030.jpg

Is this the neutral saftey switch wire?

The end with the loop is a red/blue wire. The other 2 wires look to be black/red. Now, if I plug this into the 4 wire coming out of the firewall, does the loop end complete the circuit and the car will start, and the red/black wires, do they have something to do with the backup lights?

I appreciate your time, Thanks!

Prayers, Yes that is the factory harness. when you plug it into the main harness near the firewall it will complete the start loop.

If your not going to hook up a rev light switch, you must make sure the loose ends are covered. One side is the hot lead from the ign switch and provides power when the key is in on position.

The other side goes to your back up lights thru the harness to the rear valance.