Sign in to follow this  
crankywanker

Trim on Coupe's Rear Quarter Glass

Can you be more specific? I just installed my '69 coupe's rear 1/4 glass. What are you asking? I should be able to help.

this will be the roll up window in the rear quarter. I'm wondering what type of chrome and rubber edging goes on it that connects up with the chrome/rubber edging on the door. Mine is all mismatched.

aBC

Not sure where you found that pic but it is very misleading. The car is clearly a 69' but the weatherstrip shown is for a 70'. In 69' it goes on the door glass and in 70' it goes on the rear glass.

This stainless part is not reproduced for either year except on the sportsroof btw, only the rubber seal.

Not sure where you found that pic but it is very misleading. The car is clearly a 69' but the weatherstrip shown is for a 70'. In 69' it goes on the door glass and in 70' it goes on the rear glass.

This stainless part is not reproduced for either year except on the sportsroof btw, only the rubber seal.

well on my vin when i look it up it says its a sportsroof. whats the difference between sportsroof and coupe? also one of my quarter glass has this rubber strip on it whereas the other side does not. and one of my door glass has the chrome strip w/ rubber on it however the other side does not. ?! I'm confuggled!

whats the difference between sportsroof and coupe?

Sportsroof side glass, both door & qtr have a different profile than hardtop/vert glass. Also sportsroof qtr glass pivots or hinges on the fwd edge and has a frame for the neccessary hardware attached to the glass.

As pak said, 69 hardtops take a rubber seal & a SS strip attached to the door glass.

Sportsroof side glass, both door & qtr have a different profile than hardtop/vert glass. Also sportsroof qtr glass pivots or hinges on the fwd edge and has a frame for the neccessary hardware attached to the glass.

As pak said, 69 hardtops take a rubber seal & a SS strip attached to the door glass.

okay well if i have a grande...why does my VIN say its a sportsrooof???

9T02M..

EDIT: Despite my vin saying its a sportsroof My car is definitely a coupe.

Edited by crankywanker

well on my vin when i look it up it says its a sportsroof. whats the difference between sportsroof and coupe? also one of my quarter glass has this rubber strip on it whereas the other side does not. and one of my door glass has the chrome strip w/ rubber on it however the other side does not. ?! I'm confuggled!

If it's a Grande it's not a sportsroof. Is it your windshield VIN telling you it's a sportsroof or the door? If it it's the windshiled something is way wrong with you car, if it's the door it's probably from a donor car. By the sounds of your windows it sounds like your car might have many donors over it's life. While the 70 glass was a bolt in design and the 69' was glue in, externally the glass looks the same and the weatherstrip is interchangable so many folks who change over to 70 glass in their 69's still use their original weatherstrip so the car looks correct. Since you have one of each you just need to decide which way you want to go, front or rear and find a used one, you can not order these, they are not reproduced and the sportsroof one will not work. You do not want to use boht front and rear either, it will not close properly.

lol. its my windshield vin that says that. Ah crap.. okay. well. I want to go with door glass trim. So you said they arent reproduced or what?? so I can or can't find them somewhere? Also, if the rear quarters are glued in and not bolted is there an instructional on how to glue the windows in...or does it just make sense when you take the old ones out? what glue should i use?

I have a 69 coupe and the trim is on the rear glass. Not the front. A friends' 69 also has it in the rear glass only. Its correct to my knowledge. But even if it wasn't, I would still have it this way. I hate the way it looks with the trim on the front window and not the rear. Here are some pics that will hopefully help. Im also including pics of my 69 and 70 fastback that both have the trim on the rear glass only.

I have a 69 coupe and the trim is on the rear glass. Not the front. A friends' 69 also has it in the rear glass only. Its correct to my knowledge. But even if it wasn't, I would still have it this way. I hate the way it looks with the trim on the front window and not the rear. Here are some pics that will hopefully help. Im also including pics of my 69 and 70 fastback that both have the trim on the rear glass only.

thanks for the pictures!!! That's how my trim looks on one of my windows and then i have trim on the front door glass on the other. it's really odd. now whats even more odd is my vin saying its a sportsroof.

do you know where i could procure such trim?

Something is up... My 70 Mach has the trim on door glass. My 70 weatherstrip kit came with rubber trim on door.

All '69-70 Sportsroof's had the weatherstrip & trim on the door glass so your car is normal.

Only '70 Hardtop's & Convert's had the change to the qtr. glass.

Doug

Well all I can say is what I know and to the best of my knowledge all coupe and verts left the factory with weatherstrip on the door window if it was glue in and on the rear window if it was bolt in. I have no doubt that many other cars like the 2 angel shows are out there but no matter how many cars you can find with it that does not necessarily make it fact, anthing can and does happen to cars after 40 years including the swapping of completely interchangable parts or variations at different factories based on ford part bin availability.

Using the correct one or not doesn't matter, go with what you like or whatever you can find becasue you aboslutley have to find a used one. The link you show for a $15 part is only the rubber, without a stanless channel to put it in it is useless unless you plan to duct tape it in place. The $100 part is the whole stainless piece but it is sportsroof only, it will not work.

As for your VIN, is there a tag on the door and if so what does it say? If not what about the hidden unit numbers on the front inner fenders? It's not often that someone Chops up the front clip or swaps vin numbers from a sportsroof to a coupe, usually it's the other way around.

Edited by Pakrat

Well all I can say is what I know and to the best of my knowledge all coupe and verts left the factory with weatherstrip on the door window if it was glue in and on the rear window if it was bolt in. I have no doubt that many other cars like the 2 angel shows are out there but no matter how many cars you can find with it that does not necessarily make it fact, anthing can and does happen to cars after 40 years including the swapping of completely interchangable parts or variations at different factories based on ford part bin availability.

Using the correct one or not doesn't matter, go with what you like or whatever you can find becasue you aboslutley have to find a used one. The link you show for a $15 part is only the rubber, without a stanless channel to put it in it is useless unless you plan to duct tape it in place. The $100 part is the whole stainless piece but it is sportsroof only, it will not work.

As for your VIN, is there a tag on the door and if so what does it say? If not what about the hidden unit numbers on the front inner fenders? It's not often that someone Chops up the front clip or swaps vin numbers from a sportsroof to a coupe, usually it's the other way around.

Well finding the used part will take some bit of time I know. I had a hard enough time trying to find the glass for the rear. I hate that mine is mismatched with a door glass trim on one side and then the rear qtr glass trim on the other w/ no door glass trim. I'm confused as to why someone would chop a vin from a sportsroof and put it on a coupe. The weirdest thing is that the title matches that reading. So how could someone change the VIN to that on the title?? How does that happen? Somebody friends with a notary or something?

Edited by Pakrat

A new title was probably issued at some point, for all you know the correct VIN for your car could be hot but the title for the sportsroof was clean. Unless someone at the DMV knows how the letters break down or what the difference in apperance is though so long as it is a clean and correct 69 vin number the title got issued. It does not mean that this won't cvome back to haunt you or someone though because swapping a vin is illegal and since this clearly does not match it will be obvious to someone at some point. A buddy of mine almost bought a sportsroof a few years ago with a coupe VIN but I told him to walk away, the car was a wreck anyway and the inner fender VIN numbers were ground off and the door had no tag, it was trouble waiting to happen. It's one thing to have a donor door with a wrong tag but a bogus windshield VIN is just bad news. If the car legitimately needed a new front end anything surrounding the VIN and was worth saving they would have cut and welded the correct VIN part back in, especially after going thru so much trouble to repalce a major part of the car.

A new title was probably issued at some point, for all you know the correct VIN for your car could be hot but the title for the sportsroof was clean. Unless someone at the DMV knows how the letters break down or what the difference in apperance is though so long as it is a clean and correct 69 vin number the title got issued. It does not mean that this won't cvome back to haunt you or someone though because swapping a vin is illegal and since this clearly does not match it will be obvious to someone at some point. A buddy of mine almost bought a sportsroof a few years ago with a coupe VIN but I told him to walk away, the car was a wreck anyway and the inner fender VIN numbers were ground off and the door had no tag, it was trouble waiting to happen. It's one thing to have a donor door with a wrong tag but a bogus windshield VIN is just bad news. If the car legitimately needed a new front end anything surrounding the VIN and was worth saving they would have cut and welded the correct VIN part back in, especially after going thru so much trouble to repalce a major part of the car.

is there any possibility that i would have a sportsroof vin for a grande? does that happen or do all grandes have coupe vins?