Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

Borgeson Upgrade Kit

I just ordered a Borgeson power steering upgrade kit and it should be here tomorrow. I've searched around the forum and I haven't been able to find any detailed info about the install. The part that has me the most concerned is if I will need to cut the steering column down or not. I've got a stock '70 steering column. Any info would be helpful. I'm hoping this is a project that someone with my limited mechanical knowledge will be able to tackle.

The box is a direct bolt in. You will use 11/16 36 spline half rag joint(supplied with the kit). The steering column will colaspe. I had previously modified the colaspable part of my steering column so I had to remove column and cut about 1/2 inch off the end. You might want to try without cutting. I used the Borgeson pump also. The lines are a pain. I used a crows foot and a long ext. to tighten the fittings to the box.(power brake booster in the way). The reniforced hose for a return line is a pain to get on the pump. I put in on the pump before install.

Hope this helps

Rick

In the final process of purchasing this kit for the 69 Grande, but it will not arrive for several weeks.

Big Secz, do you have a good camera? Any chance of you photographing the installation. In particular the column alteration and lines.

Ricks 70 Stang, do you think it would have been any easier fitting the lines to the box before bolting the box in?

Rod.

I just got the kit today and read the instructions. You guys are right, no need to remove the colum, instructions state that you can just tap the bottom of the shaft to collapse the column. I'll try and take some pictures of the process and document how it goes. Like I said I'm not a mechanic but I think this is a job that I can tackle. The only tool I need to get that I don't have is a pitmam arm puller.

Edited by Big Secz

I have a Borgeson unit .. I think if you can avoid removing the steering column it would be easier. I had mine off to finish the dash and was a heck of a time getting it back in once the Borgeson unit was bolted up. But I got it back in!

The pitman arm is a beast .. I couldn't get it with my puller and air hammer with a small compressor pushing it. I took the old power steering over to a shop and they pulled it off for me. It took them a while too so I knew in my garage I would have never gotten it off.

I just ordered mine about 3 days ago. I will take pictures and post to this thread. I have a 70 Grande' with a Cleveland. Yes, I know, this is a problem b/c Borgeson does not have a bracket to fit a Cleveland as the pump is a Saginaw. I found a company that makes them: http://www.cvfracing.com/351c-power-steering-bracket By God's grace, this will work and I'll be all smiles!

Real interested to hear how you like it once installed! How much $ did it set you back?

Is it only for automatic cars? (Z-bar issues?)

I ordered mine from CJ with a 10% discount so I got it for $735. It is my understanding that it will work on standard trans if it you have a hydraulic or cable clutch.

Years ago I knew I needed to do something with my steering, and went with a power rack and pinion system. Do any of you have anything to compare the tradeoffs of your mod vs a R&P system? If you are spending about $800, the R&P is about $2000 or more.

Years ago I knew I needed to do something with my steering, and went with a power rack and pinion system. Do any of you have anything to compare the tradeoffs of your mod vs a R&P system? If you are spending about $800, the R&P is about $2000 or more.

I have not used either, so I cannot vouch for the usability between the two. What I can tell you is that most of my research indicated no complaints amongst Borg users. Hence, the reason I spent $800 for a "bolt on" kit, vice $2000 for an R&P. My only issue is mounting the saginaw. Heck, even if you wanted to use the R&P w/the saginaw, you'd still have my problem...

I went with something that would give me the best value for my money. I'm one of those people that doesn't have an unlimited budget and my pockets do have a bottom to them. So I chose to go with the $800 almost-as-good-as-an-R&P-setup option instead of something that is almost three times as much. I can use the other $1200 + for something else that will with out a doubt go wrong or break.

Ricks 70 Stang, do you think it would have been any easier fitting the lines to the box before bolting the box in?

Rod.

Rod, The crows foot worked pretty well. At first I used a wrench that i cut off, but couldn't get them tight enought. Crows foot with an extention worked ok. Home made crows foot at that. I took a wrench and cut the end off and welded it to a 3/8 drive socket. The biggest pain was the return line on the saginaw pump. The reinforced hose is tough to get on. I had to put it on the pump off the car then install the pump and then the hose to the box.

Rick

Danno, I had a custom Taurus Rack on my car. Steering was great and tracked very well even without the alignment. But turning radius was really bad. I was going to do an aftermarket R&P kit then found the borgeson setup and went with it. I was able to drive the car today without the cut out problem(Distributor issues). (Installed a new distributor). Seamed to handle very well. I am pleased with the outcome so far. Just need to put some more miles on it to know for sure.

Rick