Sign in to follow this  
Steve Brown

69/70 Window Regulators

I have a 1970 Convertible (San Jose) with glue-in windows. I need to replace the window regulators but wonder if I should buy the 1969 or the 1970 version. The reason I am unsure is because, from what I read, the 1970 switched to bolt in windows (perhaps except the Convertible?)

It could be that San Jose was just burning off glue-in stock.

Thanks for your help.

Well, if you only need the regulators and are on a budget then replace with the glue in style you already have. If you also need new glass and what not then might as well change over to the 70 style. With today's modern urethane glue they are much better and no longer have many of the problems that the old ones requiring the change to bolt in used to require. Do a search for "Titan" and you will find several threads here that can help you glue them back in as well.

BTW, welcome to the site!

Thanks Pakrat, Yes, I will try the re-glue but wonder if I should be using the 1969 regulator versus the 1970 regulator which may have been built only for the bolt in version. I have read that the reason there are different part numbers for window regulators between 1969 and 1970 is that the windows are a slightly different size.

Yeah, my guess is either San Jose had some to use up as you mentioned, if you have a very low unit this is more probable, or more likley someone in the cars history swapped it out at some point.

So to replace what you have and reuse your glass order the 69' style. The glass isn't a different size from the external view, only inside the door. The only real external difference is that the weatherstrip for 70 is attached to the rear glass and to the front glass in 69. This weatherstrip is interchangable though so you can still make your car look correct externally even with the 69 glass.

Well, they don't look all that different to the naked eye but everyone sells them as different part numbers so there must be something unique enough or they wouldn't. Probably not anything that can't modified to work either way though.

69 Regulator

WR5L.jpg

70 Regulator

WR6L.jpg

This article points out the small difference in one of the arms between 69 and 70. Even Mustang Monthly waffles on whether or not they are interchangeable. It sounds like you just have to try it and see.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0405_how_to_install_1970_door_glass_in_a_1969_mustang/door_tracks.html

Some have used 69 regulators when switching to bolt in glass. But many of them have problems getting the window to align properly. To avoid headaches get the 70 regulators. They have a step at the end of the long arm. Without that step it's a crap shoot.

I had planned to glue both doors with the windows already in the doors but ended up gluing only one in the door and the other outside the car (as I'd prematurely installed the window felt in order to get a better fitting). However, once you put the felt in, there is no way to remove cleanly. In any case, the outside of the car fit turned out to be just fine, if not easier to do.

Now I'm working on my convertible top and am hoping someone at 69Stang has some good experience with the choice (or not) for the split glass convertible rear window. Do you really have to unzip it every time you open the top? I would have hoped they would have built one that stacks properly? I remember hearing horror stories about the glass, but what about this split glass?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Steve

Let me say that this is my experience, your mileage may vary.

I have had the split silicone hinge glass for about 20 years now with no problems.

But she is a garage queen and has had very limited sun exposure during that time.

Never have unzipped, but do watch it like a hawk both going up and down to make sure nothing odd is taking place , i.e. leaves, the odd lost tool, the fold of the top material going the wrong way, etc.

Also made sure that all was dry when dropping the top.

It has reached the age now where the rest of the top is just starting to go, aided no doubt by the cats living in the highly regarded restoration shop where it was worked on a few years ago. :confused1: The window is still fine, and a lot easier to see out of then the plastic.

Anyway I would have fun and worry about other things, (like only being able to buy mandated 10% ethanol blend) (and cats)

JIM

I changed my 69 vert glass out for bolt in. I reused my 69 regulators, as the 70s were in lesser condition. But either would work- I read many threads re: 69 or 70 regulators- I personally think its all in the adjustment. I might point out that the rear glass is different too (only on verts/coupes) so you need that too. AND the rear glass is glue in for 69 and 70-

IMO, if the change in the regulator arm was not needed, Ford would not have gone through the hassle and expense of changing the tooling. You can use the 69 glue in regulators with your 70 bolt in brackets and maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Or you can go with 70 regulators and know you've done it right. Each situation is different and each owner will have to decide for themselves which way they want to go.

Well... I do agree ford wouldn't spend money if it wasn't needed- but mine was sooo easy- and the difference so slight (about 1/4 inch offset on one arm) Maybe its more important on the fastback- I did notice alot of posts where people had issues- then the usual suggestions for fixes (usually with a link to the adjustments)- then the threads would stop with no definitive answers-(which eventually led me to beleive the OP's either adjusted the glass to fit, or just bought a 70 regulator) If we figure this out we should make this a sticky or a how to.

Thanks Pakrat, I've just completed my 69 Coupe full window plus regualtor replacement (as well as my 70 Convertible regulator only replacements with re-glue). I had found out that the reason for my 69 window problems were that a previous attempt to reglue was badly done- so badly that one side was (glued) almost out of one side of the slot. So I thought I'd better do it right and attempted to remove the old glue. Long story short, I ended up shattering the glass (fortunately safety glass) when I must have hit a nerve with my putty knife.

So 2 questions- for next time/ what's the best way to remove old glue? and secondly, my new regulator had no threads on the "swinging" end in the lower right of your pictures. I installed a small bolt instead. Have you ever run into this or should I perhaps tap in some threads?

Thanks again. Windows were my objective for 2011!